Partner Sites:  www.BOEmarine.com | www.ClubSeaRay.com | www.BandofBoaters.com

Go Back   CBAngler.com - Chesapeake Bay Angler - The Ultimate Fisherman's Resource > CBAngler Forums > General Discussion

Old 11-27-2009, 06:25 PM

Default 350 Merc. with Alpha-1...

Hi men, I have a 1988 mercruiser 350 CID with a sterndrive (Alpha-1). I just rebuilt the engine and put it back in the boat, however, I did not align the engine with the outdrive. Can some one please tell me an easy way to remove the sterndrive unit (upper unit) so I can align the engine. I have the alignment figured out and it should be no problem but it is getting the outdrive off that worries me especially the shift slide, etc. Thanking you in advance, Bob
Old 11-27-2009, 08:50 PM

Do you have the Alignment Tool? Shift the Drive into Forward,Un-bolt Trim Cylinders from Drive,Have 2 people...un-bolt the Drive and wiggle it off.While you are at it and have it off.....Replace the Gimbal Bearing,Lower Shift Cable and Boot ,the Bellows and Water Hose, if ya' haven't done it for quite a few years.Oh,I'd put a Fresh U-Joint in also.

Fresh Engine! No reason Not to freshen up the rest for reliability!! [Mike]
Old 11-28-2009, 09:04 AM

If you are in need of an alignment tool I have one you can borrow. I also have the tools for removing and installing the gimbal bearing, been there too many times, the tools make it easier.

Paul
Old 11-28-2009, 10:12 AM

Thank you both for the quick responses. One fishinfool-yes I will need to borrow the alignment tool and thank you. That was one of my biggest concerns- where to get one at. I see where you are located and without me checking the map, I think it is pretty close to Balt. where my boat is. The idea of replacing the bearing, etc. also makes good sense. Thank you both again, Bob

Last edited by hippie; 11-28-2009 at 10:14 AM.
Old 11-28-2009, 02:32 PM

Give me a call and we can set something up.

Paul
410-353-7486
Old 12-09-2009, 11:32 AM

Lone Ranger, I know the bellows are long over due for replacement. 4 yrs ago the outdrive was or wasn't replaced. It was to have been replaced but the shop is less than reputable and I don't know if anything was replaced. How do I tell if the gimbal bearing, etc. needs replaced. The bellows do need replaced but how does one determine the condition of the other parts that you mentioned. Thank you, Bob