Partner Sites:  www.BOEmarine.com | www.ClubSeaRay.com | www.BandofBoaters.com

Go Back   CBAngler.com - Chesapeake Bay Angler - The Ultimate Fisherman's Resource > CBAngler Forums > Fishing Reports

Old 01-07-2014, 10:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drichitt View Post
Got "out" to the blue water yesterday. The northern edge of that meandering warm flow of water was only 3.5 miles off the beach. That's closer than running from Sandy Point ramp to TPL. It was almost too calm. As most of you know, I am fairly new to the offshore stuff but am a quick learner and will put my time in to learn.

I have a few local fishing friends that are helping me get organized and am open to any help and suggestions from my northern brethren.

What you need is a "northern" mate for your boat
Get all the kinks worked out
5th (Marty)
Old 01-07-2014, 11:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5th Tuition View Post
What you need is a "northern" mate for your boat
Get all the kinks worked out
5th (Marty)
Looking forward to seeing you and Mike on the 30th.

Cletus9000....I appreciate the detail and pics. I definitely plan to put one of those rigs out there.
Old 01-07-2014, 11:46 AM

Hope it works for you. Blackfin are motor shy, so if the grass isn't too bad you literally can put that thing 100 yds or more behind the boat with a light drag in the roof rack. Even a small tuna hits like a freight train, so be prepared for some screaming drags!
Old 01-09-2014, 05:05 AM

Don, don't forget the down planers and drone spoons around the edges or over top reefs. Using a drone spoon. It can be a dedly combo for verioius species. I've used a #3 & #4planner on a senator 114 wire monel to the planner. Braid should also work. Just use heavy terminial. Baracuda, cero mackeral and others will burn some drag. Also you can use the bonito, for strip bait trolling. Local guys should be able to show you how to salt brine in ice water to get the durability out of the strips, so they won't wash out trolling. Cut them in a v just like the charters do with pork rinds. Add them behind tuna feathers and such to increase action. I have also seen these used as a skip bait. Just some rigs I have seen work in Stwert and West palm area.

Also if you want to play around don't forget the sharks. Be careful they like gel coat.. you definitely need to rig up different for them. Watch out you might get the blue water bug

PSG

iiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii iiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii iiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii
Contrary to rumors you have heard: I Fish A Lot. I Don’t Catch A Lot
Old 01-09-2014, 09:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish Nut View Post
Don, don't forget the down planers and drone spoons around the edges or over top reefs. Using a drone spoon. It can be a dedly combo for verioius species. I've used a #3 & #4planner on a senator 114 wire monel to the planner. Braid should also work. Just use heavy terminial. Baracuda, cero mackeral and others will burn some drag. Also you can use the bonito, for strip bait trolling. Local guys should be able to show you how to salt brine in ice water to get the durability out of the strips, so they won't wash out trolling. Cut them in a v just like the charters do with pork rinds. Add them behind tuna feathers and such to increase action. I have also seen these used as a skip bait. Just some rigs I have seen work in Stwert and West palm area.

Also if you want to play around don't forget the sharks. Be careful they like gel coat.. you definitely need to rig up different for them. Watch out you might get the blue water bug
The heck with doing all that, Mike is just taking some RattleTraps
You will find me with a Shiner and a Bobber
5th
Old 01-09-2014, 09:41 AM

Breaking news Bill Lewis lures has Kate Upton promoting New Rat-L-Trap line of super trap……;

Marty, big bobber AKA balloon large hook cable crimped big swivel live blue runner or other reef fish under bobber and chum bag off the side of the boat.

PSG

iiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii iiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii iiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii
Contrary to rumors you have heard: I Fish A Lot. I Don’t Catch A Lot

Last edited by Fish Nut; 01-09-2014 at 09:45 AM.