Partner Sites:  www.BOEmarine.com | www.ClubSeaRay.com | www.BandofBoaters.com

Go Back   CBAngler.com - Chesapeake Bay Angler - The Ultimate Fisherman's Resource > CBAngler Forums > Fishing Reports

Old 07-09-2014, 03:44 PM

Default Offshore trip in the Chesapeake!

Not really an offshore trip, but it almost felt like it today. I ran from my slip in Bodkin Creek to Eastern Bay today. A one hour run at 25 mph to find spot and Rockfish. I kept thinking to myself, at least I'm closer than Jeff and Bruce

Spot were not difficult to find, some doubles. The run to the rock was quick and they were thick. The fishfinder was lit up. All I kept thinking was my buddy Phil would be saying "we can jig these, we can jig these".

The spot were a bit big, but the rock had no problem taking them. Most fish were 24-26 inches, but one 22 inch fish came to the boat carrying a Diamond Jim tag

Normally, he would have been pitched back, but I had to keep the whole fish with tag intact for DNR. Called their Hotline and they will call me tomorrow with instructions. What I want to win, is a prepaid gas card

Next two days look sweet for fishing. It was cloudy and overcast today. Not hot at all on the water. Back at the dock, it was pretty warm, but playing with the hose and cleaning the boat felt good. Go get 'em guys.

P.S. Bruce, thanks for the livewell

5th
Old 07-09-2014, 04:00 PM

Thanks for the report. No spot at all above the BB? Or is it a function of a better livelining bite down south? Planning my first livelining trip this year over the weekend and would prefer to stay closer to home (Magothy) if possible. Usually by this time one can catch bait and rockfish all within a few miles of the mouth of the river...
Old 07-09-2014, 05:10 PM

There may be some spot above the bridge, but I don't know where in good concentrations. Anglers on the Downs Park Pier catch some.

The spot and rock are so thick further south, I just wanted to experience it today. I haven't been out in a while and wanted to be successful.

If you find spot above the bridge, let me know
5th
Old 07-09-2014, 06:06 PM

Good luck with the DJ tag Marty

2008 Maycraft 2550XL (The Hunter) - Yamaha F250
Grassy Key, Marathon
<*)))))><
Old 07-09-2014, 07:03 PM

I guess maybe you would share that pre-paid gas card with Bruce and I since you're practically already there from your slip?? . I wonder if you have to use it on $4.30/gal gas or if you can get $4.10/gal diesel with it??
Anyway, here's to hoping you win the $20K so you can buy both Bruce and I our own fuel card!! Good luck!!

Ps- thanks for the report

I gotta fix my livewell

Old 07-09-2014, 07:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5th Tuition View Post
Not really an offshore trip, but it almost felt like it today. I ran from my slip in Bodkin Creek to Eastern Bay today. A one hour run at 25 mph to find spot and Rockfish. I kept thinking to myself, at least I'm closer than Jeff and Bruce

Spot were not difficult to find, some doubles. The run to the rock was quick and they were thick. The fishfinder was lit up. All I kept thinking was my buddy Phil would be saying "we can jig these, we can jig these".

The spot were a bit big, but the rock had no problem taking them. Most fish were 24-26 inches, but one 22 inch fish came to the boat carrying a Diamond Jim tag

Normally, he would have been pitched back, but I had to keep the whole fish with tag intact for DNR. Called their Hotline and they will call me tomorrow with instructions. What I want to win, is a prepaid gas card

Next two days look sweet for fishing. It was cloudy and overcast today. Not hot at all on the water. Back at the dock, it was pretty warm, but playing with the hose and cleaning the boat felt good. Go get 'em guys.

P.S. Bruce, thanks for the livewell

5th
Marty,
Glad you got some bait and fish. Sorry I haven't been posting but I had my boat in for some R+R and then we have been visiting family in Utah. I will be out Friday in the upper bay looking for the elusive spot fish and some perch and if we get a chance we will look for some stripers. Glad the live well works for you. Plan on heading to several of the oyster bars and even way north of Pooles to survey things. By the way if you need help spending the Diamond Jim money, I am always looking for some relief

bhl (Bruce)
Old 07-09-2014, 09:12 PM

If that rock is "THE DIAMOND JIM", do I get a finder's fee or something similar? Congrats man. Hope its the big money fish!!! Will be on your ride for the rest of the year
Old 07-10-2014, 07:15 AM

I'm thinking of buying two of those "bean bag" chairs for the boat. The offshore guys use them for the long ride to the canyons

Bruce, if you find something further north, be sure to share with your upper bay buddies

Jeff, if it's your livewell pump, Tawn and I are experts now

You guys with the Judge 36's might have to spend a bit more in fuel and you might be just a bit slower than us 27 guys; but at least you don't have to replace Oxygen Sensors

5th
Old 07-10-2014, 07:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5th Tuition View Post
If you find spot above the bridge, let me know
5th
Will do Going to try my usual spot and then LL haunts this weekend and will report back. Worst case can run south to join the fleet, but will scout it out closer first.
Old 07-10-2014, 02:49 PM

I have 2 bean bags on my boat just cause they don't scratch anything up on deck. They are nice a hell on the water period. Mine are medium sized wedges from e-sea rider at about $100.

Yes, pretty sure it is a bad pump but haven't really gotten in there to investigate. Think the same pump goes to my generator too I haven't used either one for awhile.

A bit slower?? Next time there is a 25kt N wind, let's race!