Partner Sites:  www.BOEmarine.com | www.ClubSeaRay.com | www.BandofBoaters.com

Go Back   CBAngler.com - Chesapeake Bay Angler - The Ultimate Fisherman's Resource > CBAngler Forums > Fishing Reports

Old 11-29-2014, 04:48 PM

Default Quick Patapsco report

Fished on my friends boat this morning. Fished the edges of the channel and got 2 quick keepers and a short in an hour then nothing for 3 hours. Fish came on storm shad 12 OZ back 10 bars and a 3/4 OZ bucktail w/ white twister 28OZ back 6 bars. Didn't see much, but what we did see was deep. Not much bait, I'm guessing bait has departed and headed south.

bhl (Bruce)
Old 11-29-2014, 05:38 PM

Bruce; fished a charter down by 78A and found fish 58 ft down, in 60 ft of water

We put a few in the box and had a few shorts. Must have been 50 boats in a very small space. We were laughing at the sights. Saw boats snagging each others lines and fighting over who had the toughest tackle. It was all fun and games until a charter cut too close behind us and I had a line screaming

I grabbed the rod, locked down the drag, and won We got our tackle back, and his as well

Seriously, it was close to bumper cars out there. Fish were tightly schooled and as I said, hugging the bottom. John would kick it into neutral, all the boat rods would hang limp, and he would slip it back into gear. We would pick up at least one fish every time, but this also meant that 9 other rods were either F'd up or lures were muddy.
It kept me busy, for sure. Meanwhile; two or three boats would race into your spot trying to accomplish the same thing.

I quickly switched out umbrella's for John's spreader rigs; they can lay on the bottom and come back up correctly. I also changed out parachutes and buck tails because they would pick up the mud. Storm shads quickly dominated my spread.

I didn't see anybody tear up the fish. Many well known charters were working the same area and stayed late trying to get their limit.

Good luck,
Play nice,
5th (Marty)
Old 11-30-2014, 06:59 AM

Default limit in the Magothy

Yesterday we decided to leave the rods racked and go for a late lunch cruise to The Point in Arnold. Lolo (JY under construction right now) was there last week and Bill Judge's lovely sister in law was there a couple weeks ago so that was enough endorsement for me to go check it out. I choose the lovely sister in law and Bill's brother Jimmy over Lolo to join us and off we went. (Sorry Lolo, I said she was lovely)

Food - AWESOME!!! Tried almost every app they offer. Winter menu prices were very reasonable. We STUFFED ourselves and carried out leftovers.
Drinks- yummy. Everything we had was $8
Dockage- very limited. Not bad now if you ignore the "no docking" signs but in season, must be a nightmare. 4 or 5 restaurant slips that are small and shallow- so bow in!
Atmosphere- quite nice. 4 TVs and decent sized bar. Great service!!

I'm a big fan of Mike's North and that will remain my go to in season but I wil be back to The Point before the boat gets pulled in 2 weeks. It was a great afternoon!!

May not eat for a few days now as we were "stuffed to the limit" leaving there. (And there was a lot less pressure on me than if we had put rods out!!)

Old 11-30-2014, 07:06 AM

Funny report Marty. That sounds like NJ fishing, not the tranquil Maryland bay day!

Speaking of that I fished out of NJ yesterday. The larger fish are still there in good numbers. We caught multiple 35" plus fish with a bite that according to locals hasn't been this good in years.

It's a good thing they have no idea how to troll though! I brought five rods with me and was told we only needed 1... I didn't want to let too much out of the bag so I showed them how to troll THREE rods without them tangling. I did not see one other boat (50+) with more than three rods out...

Hopefully the biguns are just delayed in their travels to us in the bay
Old 11-30-2014, 08:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5th Tuition View Post
Bruce; fished a charter down by 78A and found fish 58 ft down, in 60 ft of water

We put a few in the box and had a few shorts. Must have been 50 boats in a very small space. We were laughing at the sights. Saw boats snagging each others lines and fighting over who had the toughest tackle. It was all fun and games until a charter cut too close behind us and I had a line screaming

I grabbed the rod, locked down the drag, and won We got our tackle back, and his as well

Seriously, it was close to bumper cars out there. Fish were tightly schooled and as I said, hugging the bottom. John would kick it into neutral, all the boat rods would hang limp, and he would slip it back into gear. We would pick up at least one fish every time, but this also meant that 9 other rods were either F'd up or lures were muddy.
It kept me busy, for sure. Meanwhile; two or three boats would race into your spot trying to accomplish the same thing.

I quickly switched out umbrella's for John's spreader rigs; they can lay on the bottom and come back up correctly. I also changed out parachutes and buck tails because they would pick up the mud. Storm shads quickly dominated my spread.

I didn't see anybody tear up the fish. Many well known charters were working the same area and stayed late trying to get their limit.

Good luck,
Play nice,
5th (Marty)
That's a tough way to fish. Sounds like you made the right decisions changing up lures. Way to hang in there Usually there is a boat or two that wants to stop in the middle of the trollers and jig. That always makes for a fun trip.

bhl (Bruce)
Old 11-30-2014, 08:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OverCooked View Post
Funny report Marty. That sounds like NJ fishing, not the tranquil Maryland bay day!

Speaking of that I fished out of NJ yesterday. The larger fish are still there in good numbers. We caught multiple 35" plus fish with a bite that according to locals hasn't been this good in years.

It's a good thing they have no idea how to troll though! I brought five rods with me and was told we only needed 1... I didn't want to let too much out of the bag so I showed them how to troll THREE rods without them tangling. I did not see one other boat (50+) with more than three rods out...

Hopefully the biguns are just delayed in their travels to us in the bay
Nice job keeping all three rods from tangling. I do know that when the Rock were hot and heavy off the Virginia coast most of the captains only trolled a few rods because they would have too many fish on at one time and tear up tackle. Glad you had a good day. Hopefully they are arriving in the OC area.

bhl (Bruce)
Old 11-30-2014, 08:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chessie27 View Post
Yesterday we decided to leave the rods racked and go for a late lunch cruise to The Point in Arnold. Lolo (JY under construction right now) was there last week and Bill Judge's lovely sister in law was there a couple weeks ago so that was enough endorsement for me to go check it out. I choose the lovely sister in law and Bill's brother Jimmy over Lolo to join us and off we went. (Sorry Lolo, I said she was lovely)

Food - AWESOME!!! Tried almost every app they offer. Winter menu prices were very reasonable. We STUFFED ourselves and carried out leftovers.
Drinks- yummy. Everything we had was $8
Dockage- very limited. Not bad now if you ignore the "no docking" signs but in season, must be a nightmare. 4 or 5 restaurant slips that are small and shallow- so bow in!
Atmosphere- quite nice. 4 TVs and decent sized bar. Great service!!

I'm a big fan of Mike's North and that will remain my go to in season but I wil be back to The Point before the boat gets pulled in 2 weeks. It was a great afternoon!!

May not eat for a few days now as we were "stuffed to the limit" leaving there. (And there was a lot less pressure on me than if we had put rods out!!)
Is this really a fishing report??. Sounds like a nice day though.

bhl (Bruce)
Old 11-30-2014, 08:44 AM

Jeff; I've been to the Point several times. Next time you go, give a holla.

5th
Old 11-30-2014, 08:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhl View Post
Nice job keeping all three rods from tangling. I do know that when the Rock were hot and heavy off the Virginia coast most of the captains only trolled a few rods because they would have too many fish on at one time and tear up tackle. Glad you had a good day. Hopefully they are arriving in the OC area.

bhl (Bruce)
I could see that. Action wasn't that hot though. One fish every 30-40 minutes.
Thanks for your original report Bruce.
Old 11-30-2014, 09:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhl View Post
Is this really a fishing report??. Sounds like a nice day though.

bhl (Bruce)
It's a report of what some of the fishermen are doing in the upper bay!

I think my fishing is done for the year. With water temps in the low 40's, and the poor reports coming from north of the BB, what's the point? Maybe when I make the run to Denton to get pulled I will try them off the Choptank before heading upriver.