Partner Sites:  www.BOEmarine.com | www.ClubSeaRay.com | www.BandofBoaters.com

Go Back   CBAngler.com - Chesapeake Bay Angler - The Ultimate Fisherman's Resource > CBAngler Forums > Fishing Reports

Old 11-10-2015, 05:22 PM

Default October-first week of Nov

My son's racing schedule has continued so my time on the water has been more limited. He races in the state championship meet with his team this Saturday, then it should be game on for me.

Anyhow, Over the last month most the trips we did make were jigging and plugging. With fish schooled up and mostly feeding on silversides jigging has been about the most productive option in the upper bay. Most our trips have been above the bridge. We did do one trip south of the bridge trolling big baits off boards for a few hours looking for migrants but we ended having to jig for action.

The use of my new high power stabilizing binoculars have been my best tool. I can spot birds 5 miles or so away. We havent found any over 30" fish in a bit. However most trips are yielding fish to the 25-27". We did have a trip where we could only find dinks but most trips are yielding keepers. One 2.5hr solo trip was very good with only one short fish out of more than a dozen caught.

Trick for us on most trips has been to fish outside the working birds under the big birds sitting on the water and keeping the jigs right on the bottom. Best lure seem to have been 1oz lil bunkers by specialized baits. They have out-fished plastics most trips.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg lt1.jpg (65.0 KB, 19 views)
File Type: jpg lt2.jpg (70.9 KB, 20 views)
File Type: jpg lt3.jpg (66.0 KB, 36 views)
File Type: jpg lt4.jpg (46.6 KB, 17 views)
File Type: jpg lt5.jpg (36.1 KB, 16 views)
File Type: jpg lt6.jpg (57.3 KB, 29 views)
File Type: jpg lt7.jpg (79.1 KB, 15 views)
File Type: jpg lt8.jpg (59.9 KB, 15 views)

Last edited by B-Faithful; 11-10-2015 at 08:29 PM.
Old 11-10-2015, 07:54 PM

Greg; I know you are busy, but could you take the time to explain the two photo's of your fish finder?

I know on another site you said the one showed stripers feeding on silversides. But what I want to know is, 1) How come two screens? Is one screen set on 200 while the other is on 50? Or, is one screen set to normal view while the other is set on magnified view? 2) Why does only the screen on the right show "whats coming" under the boat? You know what I mean, the far right image where the images are formed. How come the screen on the left doesn't have this?

I'll even squeeze in a third question, can you take a photo of the Lil Bunker.
Thanks,
5th
Old 11-10-2015, 08:28 PM

Marty i think the answer to your question about fish finder can be explained by looking in the top left corner of the screen. If I'm not mistaken the left hand side "HF" is in high frequecey mode while the screen on right "LF" is a view in low frequecey. Looking at the two different views of same school being eaten it kinda makes sense with more detail in high frequency mode. I very well could be wrong and if so I hope Greg corrects me.
Old 11-10-2015, 09:15 PM

Marty, when in waters less than 50' I run my fishfinder in dual frequency mode. My machine runs a low frequency (LF) 50kHz on the left and high frequency (HF) 200kHz on the right. The transducer I run is an Airmar p66 600w transducer (very common for inshore people). The "cone" of the signal with this transducer for 50kHz is very wide. It is 45 degrees. The cone for the 200kHz is narrow at 10 degrees. http://www.airmartechnology.com/uplo...chures/p66.pdf

Most people typically have been told to use 200kHz for inshore because it is more sensitive and 50kHz for offshore since a low frequency will travel deeper into the water, though "less sensitive" due to typically wider cone angles. Before digital processing fishfinders like today, you often got a lot of noise or clutter with low frequencies like the 50kHz in shallower waters. That is NOT the case today with digital fishfinders since the processing filters out a lot of the noise/clutter.

Because fishfinders are so good today, I recommend knowing the strength and weakness of each frequency and running both side by side even in the bay. I personally think this is better than going with a new CHIRP unit unless you are bottom fishing in deep water. (I wont get into the CHIRP differences here).

Now given my transducer, like most, offers a wider cone at 50kHz, I am able to gain these advantage by reading this frequency.
1. I cover more water under the boat with the wider cone.
2. I get more of a defined "arch" for bigger fish than smaller fish and this allows me to better differentiate between game and bait. This makes it great for suspended fish.

"Arches" are formed as a fish's swim bladder passes through the cone of the transducer frequency like this:

This is why you dont see as big of arch on the 200kHz side because the cone is either missing some fish and/or the fish is in the cone for less time.

The 200kHz narrow cone gives me these advantages:
1. narrower, more targeted view of the bottom since the signal is concentrated on a smaller area of the bottom. Because of this it more likely to pick up fish right on the bottom for bottom fishing
2. the narrower more sensitive cone shows bottom density changes (harder to softer bottom - hard bottom is a thinner line, soft bottom is a wider line)
3. the narrow beam is more likely to pick up water breaks like thermoclines. Sometimes i need to turn up the gain on that side to find them in the spring and fall. (increasing gain likely fills in targets for less discrimination though)

All the way to the right on my screen is a flasher. That just gives me the instant returns vs seeing what we have already passed over as the marks scroll to the left.

Here is a labeled screen shot from the screen from last May to kind of put it all together for you:

When I troll deeper water in the spring and fall, I usually use the 50kHz and split the screen to read the full top to bottom on one side and just the top 40' of water on the other. I dont care as much about bottom density changes when trolling so the narrow cone of the 200kHz doesnt have much benefit other than to know about where the thermocline is to run some baits along it. In the summer when I am looking for spot or areas to chunk on bottom changes, I use the 200kHz a lot more and will even do bottom zoom with white line features.

The squiggly lines above were just us drifting with the fish staying under the boat for an extended period of time.

Clear as mud. We need to fish together we can talk more about it

Last edited by B-Faithful; 11-10-2015 at 09:52 PM.
Old 11-10-2015, 09:20 PM

Oh yeah. Here are the Lil' Bunkers by Specialized Baits. Most tackle shops have them. I get mine at AllTackle in Annapolis

They are just metal jigs that flutter nice when jigging. We find we catch bigger fish than on metal jigs like sting silvers with them. All our keepers last Saturday came on them.
Old 11-10-2015, 09:44 PM

Thanks Greg; I knew you would give a detailed description. Most of the lowrance units (with standard transducers) come with the 83/200 transducer. Mine has 50/200. I was told, as you mentioned, to use the 200 setting. If I learned nothing else from your response, it is that I need to run my FF showing both 50/200 so I can evaluate the "complete" picture.
Thanks for the response and the photo of the lil bunker.

Yes, we do need to fish together
5th
Old 11-10-2015, 09:49 PM

If you have the lowrance with the 50/200kHz you may have the same transducer as I do. I think the lowrance transducer is the 83/200kHz. When you pull your boat, send me a photo of your transducer.

I think it is definitely worth while to run in split screen with dual frequency. Given that most our fishing is for suspended striped bass, I think the 50kHz is more useful most of the time. Of course I am not sure that Lowrance's digital processing is as good as Furuno's (kidding of course, Ford-Chevy thing)
Old 11-10-2015, 11:00 PM

I can guarantee you that my transducer is not the airman While most lowrance ducers are 83/200 their is an option to purchase 50/200.

I also believe the standard lowrance transducer is not as capable as aftermarket transducers (like airman). If they were, no one would pay extra for the airman.

That being said, even my standard transducer has different capabilities in each mode. I'm going to have to evaluate those differences by running side by side.

Truth be told; I don't even run my lowrance 50/200 transducer. I have become so dependent on the down scan/side scan; that this is all I have been using on my screen. I normally split my screen 3 ways. (Gps mapping, sidescan, downscan).

I'll have to play with the screen while guys like Mako Mike catch fish for me
5th
Old 11-10-2015, 11:01 PM

I'm not sure if the Lowrance unit can show both frequencies at the same time. I was playing with it Saturday waiting for the tide to turn.

Greg- do you have to change the gain between the two? While using the 200, I only had the gain around 55%. When I switched to 83, I didn't mark anything. When I turned the gain up to around 70% I began to get clutter and bait.
Old 11-11-2015, 06:12 AM

Holy crap...... That so was informative if took me part of last night and again this morning to read through it!
Glad I'm just lucky!