Partner Sites:  www.BOEmarine.com | www.ClubSeaRay.com | www.BandofBoaters.com

Go Back   CBAngler.com - Chesapeake Bay Angler - The Ultimate Fisherman's Resource > CBAngler Forums > Fishing Reports

Old 10-26-2017, 08:48 AM

Default Just between us CBA's

What was the difference??? Just an area I haven't tried, was it the cold front passing, was the current just right, was Uncle Jake just in a really good mood

Lou and I went out yesterday (early afternoon). There was more wind than I thought it was going to be This meant a short ride to a fishing ground, and difficulty trolling (speed).

I was also concerned about debris in the water. We had unusually high tides the day before, and lots of junk gets picked up from the shoreline and put back in the water to float and cause damage to props/lower units

Sooo, off to "old faithful" to try and find some fish. We found them!! Birds working over 10-15 inch rock (oh no). Dropped trolling rods to find some better fish lurking around the area. Nothing happening. Spent about an hour trolling unproductive water.

It didn't take much courage to leave unproductive water

Pulled lines and ran to an area I haven't been to since last NOVEMBER. Dropped lines and found lots of bait. Searched deeper water with heavier weights. Found the bait balls to be unmolested.

Lightened everything up and searched shallower water. BINGO We had plenty of fish in the 22-23 inch range (18-19 too). Multiple rods going down, doubles on umbrella's, and Lou cussing because I was working him too hard

Ran 7 boat rods because things have been sparse lately. That was a mistake. On more than one occasion, there was only two rods left in the water after clearing fish from the lines.

I was lucky We didn't lose a single umbrella to a "ghost" pot, but my shad lures are beat to he11 Some are torn, others chaffed so much they have almost lost their green color

Whatever the reason for the "bite", it was gratefully received. We only brought back 4 fish to be cleaned, but maybe I can find them again tomorrow on Lou's boat

I started texting some friends, but soon it was too chaotic to do anything but wind reels Made a call to Mako Mike, but he couldn't get there. Work sure gets in the way of fishing Glad I'm retired and picked yesterday to hit the water!!

5th
Old 10-29-2017, 09:57 AM

Glad you and Lou had a good day.The fishing should really start to pick up any time now.
Thanks for the report Marty.

Dan
Old 10-29-2017, 06:04 PM

Dan,

The bite was on like i have not seen in a long time friday evening... Right where we talked about a week or so ago... You were in the right area, maybe head a little west...

Had a full spread (4) go down twice Friday evening. Largest was 28 smallest was 23.

They all looked like these.

Mike
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20171027_155715.jpg (94.1 KB, 15 views)
Old 10-29-2017, 06:18 PM

Way to go Mike!Nice round fall fish.If it stops blowing I will try to give it a shot next weekend.

Dan