Partner Sites:  www.BOEmarine.com | www.ClubSeaRay.com | www.BandofBoaters.com

Go Back   CBAngler.com - Chesapeake Bay Angler - The Ultimate Fisherman's Resource > CBAngler Forums > General Discussion

Old 10-20-2010, 06:58 PM

Default Upper Bay still Red Hot!

Marty's post the other day got me pumped up for some fishing so I went into work early today so I could get on the water for a couple hours this afternoon. Left the pier around 4:00pm, Max current was predicted for 4:30

Came up on a small group of birds just sitting on the water. Cut the motor and drifted, fish finder lit up. Caught fish for next two hours. A couple over 30" . Majority in the mid 20". Some these were fat and feisty!

For awhile the stingsilver was the hot ticket, but then they seemed to prefer 6" BKD. Fish were deep holding to structure approx. 15 - 20 ft deep. Very little action on the surface, fish were biting deep.

I really needed this night. This has been a really bad year for me fishing in the upperbay, struggling to find fish. I sold my old boat and got a new one this year and was wondering if it was jinxed!

I'm heading out again Saturday morning trying to my friend's dad on some of these fish.

Tight lines!

Jim
Old 10-20-2010, 09:13 PM

Great job Jim. Glad you found a nice class of fish and got some nice pullage. The northern bay has been tough for a lot of us this year. I made most of my trips south this year looking for sanish mackeral when things were slow in the heat of the summer.
But the fish are back in a fall pattern, and we have to make hay while the sun shines. Good luck on Saturday. Keep your eyes open for any signs of activity.
5th (Marty)
Old 10-20-2010, 09:21 PM

Congrats Jim...You and Marty are killing me....Tomorrow evening and Friday cant get here fast enough for me....

Marty is so right about the fish north of the bridge this year...It has been so -so at best...

Perch - Great
Hardheads - ok
Blues - ok
Rays - Terrible in June and early July
Channel Cats - poor
Stripers - poor

It does look like the fall pattern is roaring though....Cant wait to get out...

Also cant wait to find those "Sanish" Macs that Marty found this year...
Old 10-20-2010, 11:26 PM

Love hearing these upperbay reports

I was real close to going out this morning myself with the good weather report but didnt make it. my brother in law bailed on me and its tough going out solo.
Old 10-21-2010, 08:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAGE RATTLER View Post
my brother in law bailed on me and its tough going out solo.
Rattler; when I was working, I would come home, fix a sandwich, and go hit the water. If I could get 2 hours in before dark; often it was very productive. If trolling, three rods are sufficient; if jigging, two rods (one with bkd and one with metal) were all I needed.
Sometimes going by yourself is more relaxing. You don't have to produce fish for anybody, and sometimes it's fun to just drift and watch how other boats are fishing.
I hope you get out soon, Marty
Old 10-21-2010, 10:48 AM

Marty,

I could not agree more....Except that Spot77 and I have known each other for 20+ years so its kind of like fishing with a brother...

Something nice about the peace, quiet, get away from all the #%@#% of life....

Flat water, sunset, thinkin about nuthin...

Maybe fishing, maybe catching....

It is an awesome feeling...

Just the other night I watched close to 10 boats trying thier damndest to catch stripers...I took the time to pull out an ultra light and fish for perch...While watching everyone else stress over getting that 20" striper...No stress, lots of fun, just enjoyable....

Mike
Old 10-21-2010, 12:07 PM

Yeah, I know what you mean.
I went out a few times last year by myself.

My problem this season is im in a new lift slip and its very very tight and a 2nd person on board to watch the bow helps alot but im getting better doing it myself.

Trolling by myself was a nightmare without auto pilot

By the way ...... I work nights (2pm - 10pm) so its the mornings when i get out during the week.

I definitely should have went wednesday. Looks pretty windy today and friday.
Old 10-21-2010, 12:26 PM

yeah perfect looking days except for the forecasted winds...Looks like they will be out of the west for the most part...of course that changes with the wind....

Just hoping to find some fish at deeper depths over the next couple of days...If they light up the surface it will be a heck of a bonus....