Partner Sites:  www.BOEmarine.com | www.ClubSeaRay.com | www.BandofBoaters.com

Go Back   CBAngler.com - Chesapeake Bay Angler - The Ultimate Fisherman's Resource > CBAngler Forums > General Discussion

Old 10-29-2010, 07:42 AM

Default Breezy Point Saturday

Can anyone help a brother out?
I am hauling my boat south to Breezy for the fall fun session and have never fished that area. Now that I have new planer boards, my son and I will be out practicing with them on Saturday. While our goal is to learn how to use the boards (my son is 15), I am hoping someone will give me a little local knowledge on a usually productive area to troll... I know its a lot to ask but a good number of you guys have been very helpful in me learning how to work the bay (I am from the great lakes). If you dont want to post your help here, please shoot me a PM or email at taskew@gmail.com.
Thanks guys!!!
Tim
Old 10-29-2010, 08:22 AM

If you are practicing for the first time, don't worry about "where the fish are", worry about "where the other boats are". In my opinion (and I had to learn too, so I'm not being critical), I'd just go find some channel edges to the south where there are not a lot of boats. It'll be a much less stressful day for you and your boy. Trust me, the joy of one nice fish can quickly be forgotten when you are dodging boats and dealing with tangled lines the rest of the day.

If it's nice this Saturday, it'll be reasonably packed out there. This time of year you have casters and trollers all running around each other - and within the trollers, people pulling bucktails, hoses, spoons, etc. without boards and others starting to break out the stuff for the big guys.

If you are really serious, I'd pull the boat down to PLO - bigger water and the big fish are around down there. Buzz's marina would be the place to go and get intel.

However, to answer your question - in my limited experiences, the channel edges to the south have always been a place that produced. I know that sounds general and vague, but success has been spread out for us. The 20-30 foot area north of James Island - which is no secret - holds fish in the spring, but I've never gotten them there in the fall. Look for bait and fish on the meter (that's always been a better indicator). If you see Gannets (which I haven't heard any reports of, but I'm sure they'll be around soon), go towards them. If you get one, circle around and hit that spot again. We'd get them occasionally going across the channel when there is room to do so. My opinion (and again, I'm no expert), is that it's still a bit warm to be trolling for the big stuff. But go for it and let us know what you find! Good luck.

Cheers,

Bob
Old 10-29-2010, 09:11 AM

Tim; sent you a PM
5th (Marty)
Old 10-29-2010, 09:48 AM

My fist time down there, I was told go out to the 30'-35' contour line and set the spread, zig-zag north or south from 65' into 20'-25'.

You can always cruise the same zig zag pattern til the meter lights up then set the spread.

To the south you have parkers creek and to the north you have the Radar Towers. Straight accross you have the cr bouy and 78-78a.

good luck.
Old 10-29-2010, 02:36 PM

One very good area - day in / day out - is going east /west from marker #78 to Parkers Creek. The creek is only 7-8 feet wide but you'll notice a flat sandy beach area. North and south has cliffs or houses.

Take a minute to look at a chart - you'll see the channel makes a turn here.
I think this causes odd currents to form - attrachting bait and fish. The bottom is mostly mud and no real edges or drop offs but it often holds fish.

There is a green marker just south of Parkers - good underwater point here.
Can be good in fall.

A lot of boats just go right out front to 30 feet - then wander south for 2-3 hours. They catch fish sooner or later.

Leaving Breezy - be sure to mark the inlet on your GPS. It can be tricky to find first 2-3 times coming back. Leaving the inlet - it remains shallow for about 1/8 mile. Most guys go slow until it drops from 5 to around 15 feet - then hit the gas. No real channel - most just head due east.

The boats there use VHF #74 - great folks there.
Old 10-29-2010, 09:54 PM

Thanks guys! I have to say, one of the great things I have found out about fishing around here is how much the old dogs are willing to help the new dogs.
I'll head south into a large open space and learn how to troll planer boards with my son. Life's an adventure and we will certainly have one tomorrow (if it aint too rough!) Having been fishing with Baldz, Bfaith, marty, skipperw, martin, and the usual gang has given me a base to work off of. See ya'll out on the water.
Tim
Old 10-30-2010, 06:45 AM

I used to keep my boat and Breezy and Parkers is great. I also like the areas in front of the radar towers beween Breezy and Chesapeake Beach. The areas around 78 and 78A have always been productive as well. The best part about Breezy is the number of spots that are close and productive.
Old 10-31-2010, 01:07 PM

Thanks again guys. Family stuff got in the way of getting on the water but I did manage to drop my boat off. Looking forward to a good fall season of learning how to troll and picking up a few nice keepers...God willing!