Partner Sites:  www.BOEmarine.com | www.ClubSeaRay.com | www.BandofBoaters.com

Go Back   CBAngler.com - Chesapeake Bay Angler - The Ultimate Fisherman's Resource > CBAngler Forums > General Discussion

Old 10-16-2015, 11:35 AM

Default Jig heads

I went on a trip earlier in the year with Marty and Capt. John and they had come up with a system of color coding their weight with plastidip. This product is used to dip tool handles in to put a rubber coating on the handles. Was wondering if this stuff would work on jig heads or if anyone has tried it. Seems like it would hold up very well as their weights didn't show any chips or dings.

Last edited by Mako mike; 10-16-2015 at 11:37 AM.
Old 10-19-2015, 10:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mako mike View Post
I went on a trip earlier in the year with Marty and Capt. John and they had come up with a system of color coding their weight with plastidip. This product is used to dip tool handles in to put a rubber coating on the handles. Was wondering if this stuff would work on jig heads or if anyone has tried it. Seems like it would hold up very well as their weights didn't show any chips or dings.
Would like to know as well.

Sounds like an emerging market.....make that stuff in chartreuse and it could be a gold mine.
Old 10-19-2015, 08:06 PM

Never tried that stuff but have used powder paint before.

It needs to be cooked but does hold up well.
Old 10-20-2015, 07:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mako mike View Post
That stuff can apparently be used on any metal. One of my customers in Jersey "painted" his car with that stuff and he is not the first to do it. He used a spray version.
What can it hurt to try, if nothing else, you can use it to do your weights.

Old 10-22-2015, 10:16 PM

I've used C S Coatings vinyl paint which is very similar. It is durable, but eventually gets pitted and worn from bouncing on sand and oyster bottoms. Then tears and peels. Overall, I'd say it decent, but not great. Powder coating which has been heat cured holds up better, but that will chip eventually. I have used a toothpick with the vinyl paint to touch up vinyl and powder coated tears and chips. But beat up jig heads still work too. If you make your own, I have found that a coat or two of Sally Hansen Hard As Nails over powder coat or fully cured vinyl paint helps keep stick-on eyes from peeling off a bit longer as well.