Partner Sites:  www.BOEmarine.com | www.ClubSeaRay.com | www.BandofBoaters.com

Go Back   CBAngler.com - Chesapeake Bay Angler - The Ultimate Fisherman's Resource > CBAngler Forums > Fishing Reports

Old 04-10-2015, 10:50 PM

Default Friday evening boat ride out of the Severn

Brother-in-law and niece are in town, arrived this afternoon for a short visit. They enjoy getting out on the bay, but didn't look like it was going to happen with the thunderstorms looming for the evening and wind expected Saturday. We were all sitting at the kitchen table having an afternoon snack and catching up, and I looked out window and saw the bay was flat and sun was finally making an appearance around 4pm. I was joking about putting my niece into a drysuit and taking her waterskiing, and eventually we all decided to just go for a boat ride since it looked nice out and the storms had evaporated. Got on the boat about 5pm with the boys, Robin, and our guests. Got out to mouth of the Severn and there was zero wind and peeks of sunshine... just a beautiful evening for a boat ride. I had no intention of fishing and didn't have the boards on the boat, but my brother-in-law wanted to take a shot at catching a big fish. Of course I couldn't say No, so we put out just 4 boat rods with tandems and trolled western channel edge just north of TPL for an hour or so. Water temp was 48.5. The current was cranking, over 1mph outgoing. We marked only a total of maybe 10 fish at 15-30' down, and 2 or 3 very small bait balls. Thermocline at 23'. The place was pretty barren. Didn't plan to fish and didn't expect to catch without the boards and ended up with a nice boat ride. Hoping to give it a real shot with boards and 6 rods on Sunday afternoon with the boys.

Water clarity was very good.
Found jellies on 3 out of 8 parachutes after only an hour of trolling.

Last edited by Rockin' Robin; 04-11-2015 at 08:59 AM. Reason: additional info
Old 04-11-2015, 04:30 AM

We are going out today in the general area I think so hope to have a little Intel for you tonight. Thanks for the report, I'm taking downrigger for sure now!