Partner Sites:  www.BOEmarine.com | www.ClubSeaRay.com | www.BandofBoaters.com

Go Back   CBAngler.com - Chesapeake Bay Angler - The Ultimate Fisherman's Resource > CBAngler Forums > General Discussion

Old 05-13-2015, 10:29 AM

Default Trolling Sea Witches in Bay For Rockfish?

Does anyone have any experience with trolling sea witches on umbrella rigs or single in the bay for rockfish? Are they productive vs parachute lures?
Old 05-13-2015, 12:07 PM

Please excuse my ignorance of saltwater ocean gear; but if you mean the ones with small holes in them that trail bubbles, yes, I have tried them

Here's what I made up. I took two silver metal head (with the holes) that were attached to green "skirts". The line runs through the center of the lure. I ran the line through the center and attached it to the nose of a green artificial eel with two hooks embedded from the manufacture (bought at Bass Pro). The eel slid right up into the skirt and it looked really good.

I wondered if the "bubble trail" would attract rockfish better than our normal parachute lures:roll eyes:

I then attached two of these on opposing arms of a large umbrella on my deep "hip rod". My other hip rod ran the regular parachute. I caught less fish on the eel rod (but a few). Not only did it catch less fish, I felt the hooks weren't as stout as the parachute with a stinger.

That experiment didn't work out well As I keep telling everyone, have fun with your spread, try something new, you might find the next super lure for rock
5th
Old 05-13-2015, 01:10 PM

The is close to what I was looking to try, these are small pointed heads with a hair and mylar skirt about 6" tied like a parachute. Only the head size is what I noticed different and the fact that the line goes through the head. Thanks for your insight. I might give them a try and see how it goes.
Old 05-14-2015, 04:53 AM

I ran an umbrella with Mylar seawitch type teasers and a parachute for the bait. Pulled easily but caught nothing. Only tried it one day though and this spring, it was TOUGH fishing above the bridge. I will definitely try it again. My thoughts, give it a shot!!

Old 05-14-2015, 11:52 AM

going to give it a try this weekend when the limits change Saturday.
Old 05-15-2015, 04:14 PM

I've caught on them when used as a daisy chain.

I put 4-5 on a 7 foot leader about 12 inches apart - then rig last one with a hook and shad.

I've tried them alone with just a shad but did not get hit. Looked good in water though.