Partner Sites:  www.BOEmarine.com | www.ClubSeaRay.com | www.BandofBoaters.com

Go Back   CBAngler.com - Chesapeake Bay Angler - The Ultimate Fisherman's Resource > CBAngler Forums > General Discussion

Old 04-28-2010, 07:13 PM
Baldzilla

Reds,
Don't get me wrong, I'm not disputing you. I am just reporting what I read. I believe they are trying to make the point as to how ASFMC could possibly vote to increase the commercial harvest when the #'s have trended this way (this tied in with the increased restrictions on recreational fishermen).
2006 2009
Comm Harvest 17% 38%
Rec Harvest 45% 29%
Comm Discards 4% 13%
Rec Discards 34% 20%

Don't get me wrong, I am not anti commercial fishing at all. I was just interested to read this article in the middle of this debate.

and you are correct, after reading the article more closely they said "the state of NY made a motion to CONSIDER an addendum to the Striped Bass Management Plan to allow the commercial quota to increase...THe motion passed 8-7. Interestingly, the vote split along geographic lines -south in favor, North Against (with the exception of NY).

it doesnt mention who the increase is for or what is excluded, but the article is definitely misleading, and I agree it trends towards the rec fisherman, but that is who it's targeting so you can't really blame them on that.

Thanks for the information.