Partner Sites:  www.BOEmarine.com | www.ClubSeaRay.com | www.BandofBoaters.com

Go Back   CBAngler.com - Chesapeake Bay Angler - The Ultimate Fisherman's Resource > CBAngler Forums > Fishing Reports

Old 12-09-2015, 03:55 PM

Default Need a quick response

What's the best way to freeze your fish filets?

I normally only bring home enough to eat fresh; but with winter fast approaching, I am join to need to freeze some for a few weeks.

I know a food saver that removes all the air is probably the best; but I don't have one. Freezing them in water is another option I can't use (takes up too much space in freezer

So how do you freeze your fish?
5th
Old 12-09-2015, 04:46 PM

you can try putting them in good ziplock bag before closing push it don in bowl of water to get air out then zip it closed. cheap foodsaver lol
Old 12-09-2015, 04:47 PM

Not going to help you much without a vacuum sealer, but here's what I do. Vacuum seal two-person portions and throw them in the chest freezer in the basement. Tastes almost fresh (and certainly better than "fresh" store bought) for months afterwards. We stockpile all sorts of fish from offshore mostly that gets us through the winter months without much fishing going on. Chest freezer is supposedly better than the one in the fridge since it doesn't cycle on and off (no freezer burn).
Old 12-09-2015, 05:00 PM

First choice is a food saver. I use it for all my offshore fish and taste great even after a year. Regardless of method, the key is to remove as much moisture as possible. Use paper towels to pat dry. After that, lay the fish flat inside a zip lock bag and roll up tightly to push as much air out as possible before completely closing the bag.
Old 12-09-2015, 06:15 PM

Freeze them in water. You just need to have the fillets totally covered, doesn't have to be thick. A loaf style baking dish works well for most - pop them out after they're frozen and put them in Ziploc bags. We've had the vacuum sealer for years - the water method wins hands down. Also, don't use a frost-free freezer. Chest freezer is my favorite, you don't lose all of the cold when you open the door. With an upright, imagine if the freezer was full of water instead of cold air - when you open the door all of the cold spills out on the floor! That being said, my wife loves the big upright - I cringe every time she's standing in front of the freezer with the door open. But with three freezers and two refrigerators we usually have room, although sometimes it's almost used up.
Old 12-09-2015, 07:25 PM

Thanks guys for the replies. I think I'll do a few frozen in water and a few in freezer bags dunked to get air out
5th
Old 12-10-2015, 07:46 AM

The freezer bags dunked in water have always worked for me. As others have said it's a cheap foodsaver.