Partner Sites:  www.BOEmarine.com | www.ClubSeaRay.com | www.BandofBoaters.com

Go Back   CBAngler.com - Chesapeake Bay Angler - The Ultimate Fisherman's Resource > CBAngler Forums > General Discussion

Old 05-12-2017, 08:36 AM

Default Here Come the Wind Farms.......

"The Public Service Commission of Maryland approved a 248 megawatt (MW) wind farm for U.S. Wind, to be located off the coast of Ocean City, Maryland"

"....The combined project will be the largest offshore wind farm in North America, and among the 10 largest in the world. The expected minimum life of the combined project is 25 years."

It may have hit the news already, but this came from an internal source that I can't quote.
Old 05-12-2017, 11:47 AM

BRing them on! OCMD sure could use the offshore structure to draw finfish and paleagics species. Of course Maryland will find a way to make them off limits to fisherman. I do not see any security risk not to be able to fish the structure. After all I have fished the oil rigs off Louisiana and it's perfectly legal to do so. I would think a oil platform for pose more security risk than a wind turbine.
Old 05-12-2017, 12:20 PM

Waste of freaking money... not very efficient at producing energy, too expensive and will still not even power just the town of OCMD.
Old 05-12-2017, 01:01 PM

This is just hearsay; but I heard that not only will you not be able to fish the structure, but Charter Captains coming out of O.C. will have to go out of their way not to cross through or near the fields of windmills. This will add time and fuel cost to fishing trips.

Not confirmed, but sounds about right for Maryland
5th
Old 05-12-2017, 04:57 PM

Agree it's a big waste of money. Everytime I am out in garrett county the ones located on top of backbone mountain are not even spinning when it's windy. The owners must have them locked out like the ones I saw in Hawaii back in 2008, windy as all get out and they are not spinning so HECO can continue to charge more $$ for electricity on the island.