Partner Sites:  www.BOEmarine.com | www.ClubSeaRay.com | www.BandofBoaters.com

Go Back   CBAngler.com - Chesapeake Bay Angler - The Ultimate Fisherman's Resource > CBAngler Forums > Fishing Reports

Old 06-01-2015, 06:52 PM

Default Late Thurs 5/28 - chunking Podickery Point

Sorry it's late - burning candle at each end.

Left Sandy Point at 7 am with fellow TFer REM1224 ( Ralph ). We had fresh Menhaden from Anglers - plus LTJ and 5 trolling rods to cover all bases. Only downside - needed to be home about 2:00 - vacation plans for OC long weekend. Did not give us a lot of time to explore so went all in on Podickery. Based somewhat on info - also knew it would be calmer north of bridge since wind was from south.

Found outgoing current bucking south breeze - not best for chunking. New fish finder is nice but still trying to learn what the marks , blips mean. Found some archs in 33 feet so drifted and tried LTJ over them. They were widely scattered - not best odds when LTJ.

Gave this about 25 minutes - then decided to see how bad it would be at anchor. Feared wind would push stern into current - no good if chunking. To our surprise - boat sat at nice angle to current. By turning engines hard over - these acted as rudder and stern was with current. Bonus - breeze was blowing on us to cool us.

We set out 4 rods with fish finder slides with 1 to 2 ozs. Cut 3/4 inch steaks from the baitfish and set them back very slowly so 3 foot leader did not tangle. Once the weight hit bottom - pulled off 4-5 feet and set reel to baitrunner. No other boats around except one trolling deeper.

Took about 20 minutes for first hit. Measured it twice but at 21 1/2 with tail lightly pinched - it was keeper. Put fresh bait on all lines - using a head on one of them. Had a hit but no hook up - then minute later , rod with head got hit. Let this one run a touch - 99.9% it would be keeper taking a big chunk. Sure enough - nice 30 incher.

Current was slowing and once slack came - we took rods in and explored area with side scan. Found a few interesting " things " on bottom. One looks like a canoe - can not wait to dive it next week to find out what it is. Ralph was big help with putting GPS marks on the things spotted.

With current starting in - this made anchoring much easier. We looked along the 25 to 35 edge and saw some blips so dropped anchor and put over fresh bait. We got 5-6 from each fish. The lines went straight back so we decided to try casting 1 oz leadheads with 7 inch Bass Assassians - white or pearl color. We cast towards bow it avoid chunk rods.

Had hit off chunk but no hook up. Got a tap on LTJ - so knew fish were around. Few cast later - tap turned into hook up and 23 incher went into box. It was about 12:30 - really needed to be heading in. Nice weather , good current , fish around and space for one to finish limit - yeah , I was going to be late.

We had few more taps but missed hook ups - I'll guess under 20 inchers. One reason we used 7 inch lures - idea was to not hook short Rock.

Next tap was converted into solid hook up - 28-29 incher went into box. We cleaned up boat as engines warmed - then pulled anchor. It came up easily - some times in this area it snags and I have to go diving to free it. Half expected it since I was running late.

Got back to ramp and Ralph took his two fish. Got home and cleaned boat and fish - then myself and headed out. Had to laugh crossing bridge 90 minutes after leaving Sandy Point. Wife was understanding me being late - comes with marrying a fisherman.
Old 06-02-2015, 07:58 AM

Way to stick it out until the full court press paid off with a limit. I'm sure Momma REEEEALLY thought you wouldn't be on the road until 5 or later so she told you 2:00! Damn child psychology!!

Hope you had a good weekend; thanks for posting!

Old 06-02-2015, 08:04 AM

Thanks for the report. I haven't even put the spinning rods on the boat yet. Probably do it this week. It's always the "one more fish" that usually gets you in trouble.

27 Judge "HOOK 'EM"
bhl (Bruce)