Partner Sites:  www.BOEmarine.com | www.ClubSeaRay.com | www.BandofBoaters.com

Go Back   CBAngler.com - Chesapeake Bay Angler - The Ultimate Fisherman's Resource > CBAngler Forums > Fishing Gear, Tackle, Electronics

Old 11-26-2009, 12:15 PM

Default Best FF/GPS combo

My ancient ALPECO combo unit is done. I would like to upgrade to a new combo unit. Looking for an internal antenna, dual frequency transom mount transducer, color screen, and EZ install. Oh yeah,and less than 350$$. Any thing out there or do I have to spend the big bucks?
Old 11-30-2009, 11:49 PM
Baldzilla

There are people way more knowledgeable than I am, but for that money a lower end B&W Lowrance maybe, Eagle pretty much the same thing...but if you want the best out there HDS is the way to go. The 5 is higher than your price range, but it is well worth the $$. I would get at a minimum the 7, but the 8 has the softkeys which are :AOK:
Good luck!
Old 12-01-2009, 04:35 PM

i havent fooled around with the new Lowrance units but I have had a number of Garmin units and have been more than pleased. Check out their line up at www.boemarine.com
Old 12-02-2009, 04:41 PM

Thanks for the responses, hopefully Santa will be good to me this year....
Old 12-03-2009, 09:33 AM

I have had 2 Lowrance DF/GPS units and love them, they are REALY REALLY user friendly. I sold my most recent unit because I got a great deal on a SITEX Color Max Wide ($799 to $500 at ConsumerMarine.....it gas a much bigger screen......I HATE IT, its really difficult to use, not user friendly at all and I have to carry the user manual on the boat all the time. I never needed the manual with the Lowrance
Old 12-07-2009, 03:33 PM

I have a Lowrance 68C combo unit. It was $400.00 everywhere (BPS, West and BW), I use it on my small boat. The GPS has the entire US on it. I've used it at the Outer Banks, South River area of the bay, Ocean City and Coastal Va waters. I am totally pleased with it. Was jigging out at TP one day and the DF was picking up the lure bouncing bottom. No I wouldn't put it up against the more expensive units but for the money it does what I want it do. Very simple to install. Mount the transducer and connect the + and - and plug it in. In addition it is an ok read in direct sunlight. I use a Garmin on my bigger boat, DF and GPS, not a combo. They were alot more money but I prefer the Lowrance. I've had the unit for three years now.