Partner Sites:  www.BOEmarine.com | www.ClubSeaRay.com | www.BandofBoaters.com

Go Back   CBAngler.com - Chesapeake Bay Angler - The Ultimate Fisherman's Resource > CBAngler Forums > General Discussion

Old 01-03-2016, 11:15 AM

Default Deck resoration

One of the projects I want to tackle on the old mako this winter is to restore the non skid deck on her. On one of the trips to PLO this season I went to reach for one of the outrigger lanyards and my feet started to go out from under me. Not a good thing to happen in December. So Dale and I will be stripping her down and spraying new gel coat with non skid additive. Any suggestions or hints on such a project would be greatly appreciated. I just hope I can get gel coat on deck to match the old so I am not redoing inside gunnels and cabin to make them match. I figure I would mix a little rockfish blood in with gel coat and it should be a perfect match. LOL! Anyhow I will continue with posts and pictures of the progress. Wish us luck!
Old 01-03-2016, 12:02 PM

I'm not saying I would do it to my boat, but have you looked at the photo's of boats done with "Line X"? The "scrap book" they have at the shop looks pretty interesting.
5th
Old 01-03-2016, 01:10 PM

I have seen them done with line x. Only problem is the added weight and if you ever have to remove a plate in the future, I.e. To get to fuel system it is a ***** to break the seal around the plate and to get recaulked to another water rite seal due to its texture. And it will chip when something such as 24 oz weight was dropped on it. The line x I have had in trucks did the same. Taking truck back for repair no biggie but dragging the boat would be pain in the ass!
Old 01-04-2016, 06:18 AM

Some pics from deck plate removal
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (19.6 KB, 38 views)
Old 01-04-2016, 09:16 AM

I highly recommend gel coat if you can. If not, my dad redid his deck with epoxy deck paint with some sand in it and it works well. Below is a photo being repainted after nearly 4 years of use. The epoxy holds up well and gives protection. Needs to be redone every few years and It is tougher to clean than gel coat. However it is a tough finish.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg dk3.jpg (88.1 KB, 35 views)
File Type: jpg dk2.jpg (98.9 KB, 30 views)
File Type: jpg dk1.jpg (89.8 KB, 30 views)

Last edited by B-Faithful; 01-04-2016 at 09:18 AM.
Old 01-04-2016, 10:00 AM

Thanks for the feedback Greg. When you said after four years of use did you mean with the product he used to recover it? I found a petit product that has the mica mixed in with the paint and looks easy to use. Best part is that it comes in a color that is almost identical to the current color. How in the heck do you put more than one photo in a post!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (14.0 KB, 20 views)
Old 01-04-2016, 10:55 AM

The first coat of epoxy lasted 4 years. It was gel coat before that but was getting too smooth. He said he fell trying to gaff a fish and went with the epoxy then.
Old 01-04-2016, 02:13 PM

I just use the Interlux Interdeck paint. Takes a little over 3 quarts to do the deck on my 42'. The non-skid is very good without being overly aggressive and will last a couple of years if you're not trying to destroy it. Just use it straight out of the can - it may seem too thick while you're stirring but it works perfectly.
Old 01-04-2016, 04:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikie View Post
I just use the Interlux Interdeck paint. Takes a little over 3 quarts to do the deck on my 42'. The non-skid is very good without being overly aggressive and will last a couple of years if you're not trying to destroy it. Just use it straight out of the can - it may seem too thick while you're stirring but it works perfectly.
That's one of the products I was looking at thanks for the feedback!
Old 01-17-2016, 06:52 PM

Today we got all deck plates sanded wiped down fairing compound in all dings, cracks and whatnot. Sanded again, wiped down again and finally first coat of petit nonskid paint.coming along and is turning out pretty nice.
Never realized how many dings and chips were on the deck. Guess I gotta start being a little more careful with the 29 oz. weights.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (12.7 KB, 19 views)