Partner Sites:  www.BOEmarine.com | www.ClubSeaRay.com | www.BandofBoaters.com

Go Back   CBAngler.com - Chesapeake Bay Angler - The Ultimate Fisherman's Resource > CBAngler Forums > General Discussion

Old 02-25-2010, 07:17 PM
Baldzilla

Quote:
Originally Posted by skipperwork View Post
I care because I risk my life in the winter
I care because I risk my job in the summer.
I care because I risk my marriage all year.
That's funny I don't care who you are....but it's also funny cause it's about as true and simplistic as it gets!
Old 02-25-2010, 08:04 PM

Wow I've never heard of so many cry babies before in my life. Who gives a s--- whether JP posted pics of those locations any way? Not me and I bet a few guys that fished it the next day didn't mind either. Maybe we shouldn't post any pics at all and always use a disguise for the background. What good would that do because most of the time the fish are here today and gone tomorrow. And if you don't know how to catch them then none of it matters anyway. For all of you jealous types its a shame you weren't there the day John caught his personal best because you might have caught yours. Bravo JP Bravo!!!!
Old 02-25-2010, 08:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyFrank View Post
If the other board had a full time moderator like BassBarn and stripersonline then the no spot burn policy could be enforced. I think it's a good policy not so much because it prevents spot burning but because it helps prevent a feel good post like JPs about a personal best with a gimpy wrist and the comeback of the patapsco WWDs from taking a bad turn.

If CBAngler has a full time moderator (I am not volunteering, my employer has banned all non-business related electronic communication from firm owned devices...d'oh!) then it should have a no spot burning policy as well.

TIGHT LINES!!!
Totally agree. I think the bassbarns no spot burn policy works just fine. I feel bad for JP because he was excited and he should be. I agree with someone that said most fisherman are lazy and want someone else to find them fish.....I think finding the fish is the most rewarding part of fishing. Some guys on my boat that have never fished with me wonder why I am always driving over likely spots with eyes glued to the furuno......even if I don't plan on stopping.
Old 02-25-2010, 09:20 PM

[QUOTE=GradyBaby;4722l and always use a disguise for the background.

For two years, I only fished the area just outside Thomas Point Light because Mark (Mlag) always took his pictures there.
5th (Marty)
Old 02-25-2010, 09:22 PM

[QUOTE=5th Tuition;4726][QUOTE=GradyBaby;4722l and always use a disguise for the background.

For two years, I only fished the area just outside Thomas Point Light because Mark (Mlag) always took his pictures there.
5th (Marty)[/QUOTE]

SHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHh MARK DOESN"T WANT ANY ONE TO KNOW HE ACTUALLY CATCHES ALL THOSE FISH THERE!!!!! SPOT BURNER!!!
Old 02-25-2010, 11:07 PM

[QUOTE=Old No.7;4727]
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5th Tuition View Post

SHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHh MARK DOESN"T WANT ANY ONE TO KNOW HE ACTUALLY CATCHES ALL THOSE FISH THERE!!!!! SPOT BURNER!!!
Mark is dumb as a fox.............Gary
Old 02-26-2010, 06:30 PM

May as well jump right into the most controversial topic from the other board for many years. Here are some my random thoughts on the topic.

I enjoy sharing fishing stuff with others. It is part of the fun of fishing to show, teach, and share. Sometimes you also learn some really good stuff from other fishermen. Locations, however, get tricky.

Jigging, structure fishing, plugging, casting, etc. sometimes rely on specific spots more than bait fishing or trolling. Sometimes these spots are very small.

In the case of one of the spots JP showcased lately, it is a one boat or two boat, if you work together, spot. My friend Simon has been fishing it for many years. I am not personally a big fan of fishing the Harbor but then I have the time to run south to the CBBT, VA Beach or Oregon Inlet and fish until the weather turns sour. I would rather do that. The Harbor, Morgantown or CCNPP allow guys who are still working to catch some good fish in winter without going a long way. A loud motor can definitely spook the fish in close at the other Harbor spot JP showcased. So I do not personally care about this area but understand why some were incensed.

I had a place in the Susky Flats where the hual seiners caught 90% of their fish. There are not enough fish up there anymore to warrant haul seining. This spot was out in the middle of the flats and the depth went from 3' to 6'. It also had a ditch running into it from the Northeast River for the fish to enter an escape. It was almost always good for some fish even in the middle of the summer. I took some guys there and told them to keep it quiet. They did not and first thing you know there were boats sitting on that spot every time I tried to fish it. Lesson learned.

Another example is the lumps southwest of the Mariner Ship. Now guys will say, well every one knows about those lumps. Yes, now many do, but eight to ten years ago, when we were catching monster trout on those lumps very few knew about them. There were no oyster bouys or other markers on those lumps at that time. It was very rare to see another boat there. Some guys made the mistake of posting pics of big trout there and I was in that group. There were never any landmarks but guys with boats started chartering a guide who knew the spot. Soon there was lots of traffic on those lumps and no fish.

Today I will share locations with people who share with me and will keep their mouths shut. Yes, I am a meany.

One thing I have noticed is that guys who have not put the time, effort, fuel, money, etc. into finding spots will cry that everyone should share. Those who have paid their dues are a little more wary because they have been burned multiple times.

Last edited by Wild Bill; 02-26-2010 at 06:38 PM.
Old 02-26-2010, 06:32 PM

All this talk about Spot burning....is it getting hot in here?

I'll tell anybody that asks me where I caught fish if they really want to know.

I like finding new places personally.....but there's plenty of times where a little guidance is appreciated. I respect the time, money and wife foot rubs that experienced fishermen put in to learn great spots and if they want to keep quiet about them, that's ok with me. I'll learn eventually.
Old 02-26-2010, 07:02 PM

I think that sharing your fishing spots is like inviting some one to your party. If you are having a party at your house, do you invite EVERY ONE on TidalFish or just your friends. That seems like a pretty fair way to decide...........Gary
Old 02-26-2010, 08:33 PM

Well, I remember when Dolly's Lump was a VERY good rockfish spot. Before depth finders and before the DNR decided to mark it. Point being, too much public info about productive locations destroys the resource.