Partner Sites:  www.BOEmarine.com | www.ClubSeaRay.com | www.BandofBoaters.com

Go Back   CBAngler.com - Chesapeake Bay Angler - The Ultimate Fisherman's Resource > CBAngler Forums > Fishing Reports

Old 05-28-2016, 07:33 PM

Default Hackett's 5/28 Chumming

Set up with the fleet at Hackett's around 7am this morning. First trip chumming on my own boat.

1st time anchoring the boat out in the bay. The side decks of the boat are only 2" wide so going forward is a bit of a challenge. Last night I tied the end of the anchor line to the bow of the boat and put the anchor and rode in a locker between the seats. This morning was able to drop anchor from inside the boat without going forward so that went well.

Had my 11 year old son with me who has never been chumming before. Set up at 7am with 4 rods with circle hooks and weight between 1/2 oz and 2 oz. It wasn't long and he had his 1st fish on. I reeled one of the other rods in to get it out of his way but right at the boat we managed to tangle up 3 of the 4 rods. 15lb braid makes a mess like no other when it tangles. But we got a 20-1/2" fish in the boat so all was well. Cut everything apart and retied. A few minutes more and he puts a 22" in the boat followed by a 23". Then things slowed down. After a while got a 19" fish that went back overboard and then one small enough it wasn't worth measuring. We had to meet the rest of the family back at Matapeake at 10:30 and only had about 15 minutes left to fish. We had probably 5 run-offs thruout the morning that we didn't get the hook into so I decided to turn-off the bait-runner and leave the reel engaged. Also fileted our last bait and baited everything up with strips. We got our last keeper at 23" and headed back to Mattapeake to pick up the rest of the family. A great 1st chumming trip.

Sent my son up on the bow for the anchor and pulled up to put enough slack in the line for him to hand it to me. Then retrieve the anchor from the cockpit backing down on it. Was a bit of a challenge and we need more practice. I think I need a painter tied to the anchor line about 20' or so forward of the boat that I can keep tied back in the cockpit. That way I can do everything from inside the boat and no one needs to go up on the bow. Being able to drive up on the anchor line instead of backing down on it is also easier.

Now my younger son wants to go on Monday. I have yet to find a place on the Kent Island side of the bridge with fresh alewife's and hate the thought of driving across the bridge to go to Angler's or LJ's. Anybody know of anywhere?

When chumming with circle hooks is everyone leaving their bait runners in free spool or are you leaving the reel engaged. I feel like with the chunks they are either going to suck the whole thing into their mouth or not at all and our hook-up rate might improve just leaving the reel engaged and letting them hook themselves. I'm used to chumming with j-hooks and giving them a long run with the bait before setting the hook. Waiting a long time with the circle hooks before engaging the reel cost us several fish today.

Wyelife

Last edited by Wyelife; 05-28-2016 at 07:38 PM.
Old 05-28-2016, 08:08 PM

Circles are tough when drifting baits, not like live bait on the same.

I lost 4 on Friday for the same reason.

Couple.of thoughts....

Circles save the fish almost always ends up in the jaw.

They do take getting used to and it's hard to break the habit of trying to set a hook.

Great to hear your son had an amazing day.