Partner Sites:  www.BOEmarine.com | www.ClubSeaRay.com | www.BandofBoaters.com

Go Back   CBAngler.com - Chesapeake Bay Angler - The Ultimate Fisherman's Resource > CBAngler Forums > Fishing Reports

Old 03-20-2012, 10:43 AM

Default Below the Bridge to Chesapeake Beach 3/20/12

Will leave it up to Marty to send a detailed report....Here are the quick notes...

1> I love fishing with Charlie, he's great ! (Nothing like cold Busch beer !)

2> The company was great, even Marty....

3> There was tons of bait, a lot of it more shallow that I would have expected...

4> Water temps are starting to hit the mid 50's...

5> Although we hit gold last week, Monday was not the best in terms of fish.

6> Lesson learned by all - "If you see bait, fish"
Old 03-20-2012, 12:53 PM

Even though you had a tough day I still wish I could've been out there.

Heck for both of us, it looks like NEXT Friday might be the next time we can get out.

Unless the stars align and this Friday stays free.

I assume you fished the same area, roughly?
Old 03-20-2012, 01:16 PM

There are north of there...
Old 03-20-2012, 06:31 PM

Well; after a great day on Thurs. of last week, we went out looking to get a few pictures of some nice fish on Monday.

Those fish kicked our a$$.

We knew we had bait in 35-40 ft of water from previous trips. As we left Deale, we again found bait and slowed to drop lines. We did have one knockdown. Trolled the area for a bit longer, but Captain was in a hurry to get to the area we caught fish last week.
We knew the fish are moving. They are not staying in one area to feed, they want to spawn (remember your college days). We didn't expect the same fish to be there, but we had hoped that others coming in from the ocean had filled the void. We figured, if our fish Thurs. found that area and depth to their liking, others would too.
Unfortunately, we had no takers. I couldn't buy a fish in the Giant seafood section.
We will try again next week. Water temps are in the low 50's, and more hot weather is predicted for this Thurs and Friday (possibly 80*). I have no idea how many of the fish have already come in to spawn. Have 15% come in, and 85% are on their way? Or, have 85% come in and only 15% are left to come up?
If anyone lives close to a spawning river, and has seen evidance of spawning, or seen lots of rock in shallow water (3-4 ft), let us know. I remember some guys in kayaks last year that had spawning fish bumping into their yaks.
I can't believe most fish have gotten past us. I expect C/R to get better.

On a side note, it was a pleasure to have Captain Charlie Schneider on our boat for several trips. I always enjoy picking the brain of a good fisherman. He showed us a couple new knots and he had some tackle with him for the meeting last night at Broadneck MSSA. We expiramented with some of his spreader bars and eel tails in place of conventional umbrella's.
I find that being a mate is a continuous learning experience, and Charlie is a good one to learn from. Getting out on other peoples boats (or just phone calls) has also been a big asset to me. Thanks to everyone for sharing your knowledge.
Old 03-20-2012, 07:49 PM

Marty,

Thanks for getting us all together and being able to share each others stories...Its been a great experience for me and I am sure many others...

I will cast the first vote for Marty to be the CB Angler Social Club President for 2012....I am sure its the best candidate I will vote for this year....

Mike
Old 03-20-2012, 09:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by garlien View Post
Marty,

Thanks for getting us all together and being able to share each others stories...Its been a great experience for me and I am sure many others...

I will cast the first vote for Marty to be the CB Angler Social Club President for 2012....I am sure its the best candidate I will vote for this year....

Mike
Agreed 100%. Now I'm going back to man the armed militia guarding my street since AACOPD hasn't caught the murderer from a few blocks over yet.