Partner Sites:  www.BOEmarine.com | www.ClubSeaRay.com | www.BandofBoaters.com

Go Back   CBAngler.com - Chesapeake Bay Angler - The Ultimate Fisherman's Resource > CBAngler Forums > General Discussion

Old 07-07-2010, 06:28 PM

Default Trolling Eastern Bay

Thanks to some of my friends, I've been able to get on the water even though my gas tank problem still has me boatless. Today, we hit the water at 5am and headed to Bloody Point. We dropped a 6 rod spread (no it's not PSCR) with 5 #15 tonys and one small cripple alwives. Ran 4 rods deep and two mid depth. Picked up 3 fish (20-24 in) in 35 ft or less of water off the deep rods. The 4th fish was one of the mid depth rods and appeared to be a better grade fish. Half way to the boat, the fish got off. We reset the rod and continued to troll. At 9:15 it got hot so with 3 in the box we picked up the rods and found the mid depth rod had the tony, but no hook. No wonder the fish got off, it broke the hook.
I picked up some things from Jim at Marty's the other day and in passing, we were talking about how poor quality the tony hooks had become. I had several bent by fish last week. Jim was kind enough to GIVE me a couple replacement hooks for the tonys. They are much better quality. Unfortunately, I fiqured I would use the stock hook until it bent, then replace with a new hook. Looks like that thinking lost us a nice fish. Stop in to see Jim and get some replacement hooks before fall trolling gets started.
I'm going to see if Tony Acetta has a website and has a place for feedback. It's a shame to see such a good lure go to hell for the sake of a few penny's needed to upgrade the hook.
Four hookups isn't much, but we just needed to get on the water and wet some lines. On the way back in; I saw Mark Lagano out on the water; so I'm publicly calling him out to make a post. Come on Mark; just the basics, no spot burning, how did you do?
A special thanks to all my buddies for helping me get through this fishing withdrawl. I owe so many reciprical rides on my boat when I get it back, I'll be booked until Dec.
5th (Marty)
p.s. MartinM (TF)/Joe Dirt(CBA) always posts for HO's that are not "know it all assholes" so I haven't been on his new boat yet.
Old 07-07-2010, 07:16 PM

Glad you got some fishing time in Marty. I hope you get your boat back in the drink soon but it is sure nice to have friends help out and take you fishing. If MLAG was out.......you know he caught fish....Gary
Old 07-07-2010, 07:46 PM

Gary; Mark (Mlag) was one of the guys who took me out last week. I never caught a limit of fish so quick in my life. Then he had to ruin it by appologysing for the fishing being so slow. If we hadn't then spent two hours finding and catching spot for the next day, I would have thought it was all a dream and waited for the alarm to go off.
I tried to be subtle in watching the master at work. I picked up several tips that will help me in the future. I'm thinking about writing them all down, putting together a power point presentation, and taking the show on the road and giving seminars entitled "Fishing with Mark".
In all seriousness; I had a great time and hope to be asked back again. Maybe we can troll together this fall.
5th(Marty)
Old 07-08-2010, 09:30 PM

Who is this Mark Lagano guy? Sounds like a pretty cool dude I was out on Wednesday with my son livelining for rock and perch jerkin with grass shrimp. We caught our rock but had to work hard for them. The perch were more cooperative with several to twelve inches......Mark........... "Lagana"........alias "Lagano", "Laguna" and "Lasagna"

Hey Marty,
you are welcome anytime.........as long as you stay away from the net

Last edited by mlag; 07-09-2010 at 04:39 AM.
Old 07-09-2010, 09:03 AM

Sounds like a good time to me Marty and after talking to Uncle Phill the other day that Mark guy knows where the fish are. Thanks for the report and I guess I have to get into this live lining thing.

By the way thanks for the heads up on the Tonys I was going to have Phill pick me a few up so if he does I know to change out the hooks.
Contact Info:
Backyard Custom Rods and Repairs.
(301) 898-1136 or Cell (240) 486-0007
E-Mail BCRodsandRepairs@aol.com
Old 07-09-2010, 10:20 AM

Steve; Jim has two different replacement hooks available. Last year I bought regular replacement hooks for the tony's. By regular, I mean the ones with the feathers on them. The new replacement hooks he gave me are just hooks (no feathers). You might want to ask Jim which ones are best.
5th (Marty)