Partner Sites:  www.BOEmarine.com | www.ClubSeaRay.com | www.BandofBoaters.com

Go Back   CBAngler.com - Chesapeake Bay Angler - The Ultimate Fisherman's Resource > CBAngler Forums > General Discussion

Old 12-21-2013, 12:43 PM

Default Just curious how often you replace your boat batteries.

Just curious how often you replace your boat batteries.

Mine are 3 years old. Never had a problem but was considering replacing them over the winter. The are run of the mill, wet cell, dual purpose batteries. I pull them every winter and store them in the basement. I don't want to deal with battery issues come next spring.
Old 12-21-2013, 01:11 PM

I've got two 8D's. They were new in the Spring of 2008. The "House" battery went bad in October, replaced it. The "Start" battery was still good and used a couple of times after replacing the house battery, but it wouldn't turn the motor over in the yard to winterize the first week of November! New one coming in April. Five years seems to be about the normal max for them.
I've always used my batteries until they show signs of failing - BUT, I never rely on just one. The best I ever saw was in my old man's 1960 Chevy - original battery lasted 11 years!
Old 12-21-2013, 02:28 PM

Tawn, mine are three years old. I never take them out in winter. I may replace after next season. They seem strong.
5th
Old 12-21-2013, 03:04 PM

I replace one of the two every two or three years and havent had an issue..
Old 12-21-2013, 05:54 PM

Tawn, I'm glad you didn't ask this on the "other" fishing site. I was going to post photos of how I replace my batteries, but I didn't want someone to complain that "I was holding them wrong, or they looked too big, or at three years old, they should be allowed to grow older before I replaced them". Should we pick them up by the "straps" or do we lift and cradle from underneath?
Upon close inspection, one battery could be seen "dripping some corrosion" in a few places.
This would have lead to whether or not we should even be using batteries in the first place. If we fished true sailing vessels or powered our boats with oars, we wouldn't need batteries.

Like I said, glad you posted this question over here.

Did you get your boat waxed? Does the boat feel any pain when they rip that wax off He11, I really am spending too much time on that other site
5th
Old 12-22-2013, 06:33 AM

I don't have a set amount of time but they seem to go at least 4 years before I start to notice they need to be replaced. They are not both on the same schedule so I am happy just letting them show signs of needing replacement before I even worry. Since I can use 1 or both for starting I just let them go until they don't have enough charge to start the boat effectively.

Steve
Old 12-22-2013, 12:03 PM

5 years is about average life for boat batteries if buying better quality ones. Cheaper ones seem to go out around three years or so.

Keeping the terminals shiny clean and very tight helps a lot.

If the style with caps - keeping water level filled ( distilled water ) adds to the life as well.

Biggest thing that hurts is a battery being drained all the way down. Deep cycles can handle this better then starting type batteries.

Air temperature plays a huge role - a weak battery might do OK in 80* temps. but fail when it gets cold.

I replace mine every 5 years - I make sure to check the manufactered date to get fresh batteries. I've seen batteries over two years old for sale in some stores. Try to deal with a store that turns over the stock often - no sense spending $$$ on old battery.
Old 12-22-2013, 01:56 PM

Tawn, just move to Anne Arundel County. Replace them each time they get stolen

We have been having a big problem with losing batteries.

5th
Old 12-22-2013, 04:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5th Tuition View Post
Tawn, just move to Anne Arundel County. Replace them each time they get stolen

We have been having a big problem with losing batteries.

5th
I bet they're driving a Prius for a get-away car then!

Old 12-22-2013, 09:37 PM

Since I have two batteries, and only use one at a time, I keep them until one fails. I then load test both and replace any that are bad. Since I only use one battery at a time and use it for starting, running the washdown pump, and the radar/depthfinders I can afford to have one battery fail during a trip. Historically I've gotten 5-6 years out of my batteries.