Partner Sites:  www.BOEmarine.com | www.ClubSeaRay.com | www.BandofBoaters.com

Go Back   CBAngler.com - Chesapeake Bay Angler - The Ultimate Fisherman's Resource > CBAngler Forums > General Discussion

Old 12-03-2009, 09:28 AM

Default What do you want from a jighead

Hey guys,
I know there are alot of people on here that troll but I think a fair amount jig too.

In the interest of full disclosure: Before skip sold his planer boards EVERYWHERE in MD I was making and selling a few sets too. Just in my parents basement with crude tools in a space that was too small. I had an order from a tackle shop and had to make several sets in one night. Needless to say, I was not equpiied for it and almost cut off my finger while doing it. It was the end of my career making board for then.

Fast forward to present day. My buddy just moved into a nice house with a basement and we have since acquired lots of tools and good things.

I plan to make a bunch of jigheads and other things and sell them at the shows this winter. not trying to make a killing just trying to pay for a little gas in the boat. And, it's something to do when the Redskins are losing or the caps are winning.

So, we are on our jighead kick right now. I have ultra minnow heads, round heads, two kinds of shad heads, and pregnant minnow heads, all in different sizes. We also have sort of "customized" the molds so they can take smaller hooks than normal. This means on a 2oz head, you can rig up a 5" BA as opposed to most big jigheads that just rip the plastic.

I am flabbergasted at the prices of jigheads. They DO NOT take that much money to make when you find a cheap source of lead and hooks in the thousands or tens of thousands as we have done. Eventually, I will be selling them in bulk unpainted for CHEAP as well as nice painted ones (which I personally think are a waste of money)

As a fisherman, is there something you think you would like that is not on the market? What do you like most about present jigheads, what do you like the least? Do you think color makes a difference?

I am NOT selling anything yet, just getting ready to. . .

Last edited by Francis; 12-03-2009 at 11:56 AM.
Old 12-03-2009, 11:36 AM

i'd like to get my hands on these jigs but in 1.5 and 2 oz. They are perfect for BA's and BKD's as well as many other plastic baits: http://www.cotee.com/Pages/cotee_prod_livEye_1_0.html
Old 12-03-2009, 11:53 AM

Unforunately, the larger head sizes for that mold does not exist. I wanted to purchase the mold to do that as well, but it would have to be a several hundred dollar custom machine job to make it work.

I do have the mold for the larger head sizes in this style which is as similiar to the arrowhead as your looking for:

Last edited by Francis; 12-03-2009 at 11:57 AM.
Old 12-03-2009, 11:54 AM

Sorry-I meant this head. I get my shad heads confused.

Old 12-03-2009, 12:06 PM

I like the very wide gap hooks that you get with the BA jig heads..and 2 oz (unpainted) is what I have the hardest time finding. Let me know if you make some of these. I'll buy them in bulk!

bajig.jpg

Last edited by Slayer; 12-03-2009 at 12:08 PM. Reason: post a pic
Old 12-03-2009, 12:28 PM

Let me take a picture and show you what I have. I am not making them with the super wide gap hooks but am making them larger than normal gap hooks for the 10" BKD's.

Personally, I don't like the extra wide gap hooks. But I can make them that way. Do you like the wide gaps because you think they hook fish better for for big rubbers like the 10"BKD's?

Last edited by Francis; 12-03-2009 at 12:31 PM.
Old 12-03-2009, 12:40 PM

Head shapes dont matter as much as a nice quality hook to me! I have bought jig heads where the hook has straightened on a fight with an average size fish. It is not that the fish or fight was so tough, it was just a cheap hook used
Old 12-03-2009, 12:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Francis View Post
Let me take a picture and show you what I have. I am not making them with the super wide gap hooks but am making them larger than normal gap hooks for the 10" BKD's.

Personally, I don't like the extra wide gap hooks. But I can make them that way. Do you like the wide gaps because you think they hook fish better for for big rubbers like the 10"BKD's?
I switched to the wide gaps for my 10" bkd's last Spring while targeting the larger rockfish at the usual haunts. I seem to get more hookups using them. I can only theorize why but I think that since the hook is so big, it's more likely to bang into the fishes mouth as he's inhaling it and I feel that tap vibrate up my line. Whether or not that's the case, I don't know but have been sold on them ever since.

My main problem is finding them where I live. I used to be able to get them at boaters world. I can get them online but the price is ridiculous.

Let me know if you decide to make some 2ozs (1 1/2 ozs are workable). No biggie either way.

Last edited by Slayer; 12-03-2009 at 12:51 PM.
Old 12-03-2009, 01:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by B-Faithful View Post
Head shapes dont matter as much as a nice quality hook to me! I have bought jig heads where the hook has straightened on a fight with an average size fish. It is not that the fish or fight was so tough, it was just a cheap hook used
I agree with you Greg. A lot of it does have to do with the hook. We are using saltwater resistant Eagle Claw Hooks right now. They are strong, but are also quite reasonable in price. A lot of the super premium hooks are way too expensive for my tastes. It's something that you are probably going to lose on the bottom after a few hours anyway.

I could certainly make them with the super good hooks but it's not like we're catching tarpon. Just for comparisons sake, the Eagle Claws I am using cost between 1 and 4 cents a piece. The super top notch hooks costs as much as 30 cents a piece. I don't see where some companies get off charging that much!

Last edited by Francis; 12-03-2009 at 01:23 PM.
Old 12-03-2009, 01:35 PM

I look for a jig head size that will match the plastic without tearing it and it must have a good solid, sharp hook and large eyes. Weights from 1/2 to 2.5 oz and colors to match the plastic and provide a stark contrast. I like contrast in my jig heads/plastics. Shad style and type H heads. Any thoughts on a longer shank hook for larger plastics?

1998 Sea Hunt 202 Triton
"Hoopty"