Partner Sites:  www.BOEmarine.com | www.ClubSeaRay.com | www.BandofBoaters.com

Go Back   CBAngler.com - Chesapeake Bay Angler - The Ultimate Fisherman's Resource > CBAngler Forums > General Discussion

Old 12-06-2009, 08:51 PM

Default Light Tackle University - Bay Bridge Jigging Report 12/06/09

Met with light current and high skies, I didn't expect much when we arrived at the bridge at 3:00 PM today. To be honest, it wouldn't have mattered if we didn't catch a single fish. I've been off the water for well over a month and it's killing me. After another 14 hour work-day ended at 2:00 AM last night, I got up about noon today and noticed the wind wasn't blowing as hard as predicted. My plan was to put in my jon boat and fish the Bay Bridge because Crockett's Reel is still in the shop. Repairs were complete last Tuesday, but I haven't had time to pick it up. Enough whining.

I mentioned to my neighbor Mark that I was thinking of going out and he graciously offered up a trip in his Parker. This is the time of year when I really enjoy fishing the bridge. My first light tackle fishing trip on the Chesapeake Bay was in December at the bridge. I honed my jigging skills over a couple of years there, at first catching mostly small fish but occasionally landing one big enough to reveal the potential of what I consider to be the best structure-fishing location on the Bay. If you've read any of my CLT stuff you know I consider it the ultimate light tackle classroom. Today was a perfect example.

We hit the rock piles first thing finding small fish right where they are supposed to be. They were holding pretty tight in a small area, but as obvious on the fish finder as Christmas lights on a tractor tire. We decided to pull off and look elsewhere hoping to increase our chances for bigger fish, especially since there have been reports of some real hawgs caught recently. From our experience at the rock pils, we now knew that fish were holding in depths of 25 to 35 feet, probably because the water is warmer at that depth, so we looked for pilings where we could reach the bottom in that range. That was the ticket. When we hit them we found quality fish up to 37 inches. Hot lures were 7 inch Bass Assassins. I used a Candy Corn jighead with a pearl BA hotrodded in chartreuse/garlic while Mark threw an opening night orange/garlic color with a maroon head. That's not an obvious color combo, but it caught the biggest fish of the night. We stayed with them until almost dark and only saw one other boat working the bridge. Barring some drastic weather changes, I expect we will keep fish at the bridge well into February. Hope the bigger ones stay around!

"Catch & Release - A picture is worth a thousand fish"

Last edited by Shawn Kimbro; 12-06-2009 at 08:53 PM.
Old 12-06-2009, 08:57 PM

Good to a report from you Shawn. Nice job finding some quality fish. Plan to be out myself in the am with the broomsticks; it's what I do best..Don
Old 12-06-2009, 09:02 PM
Baldzilla

Way to go guys! As we under the bridge Friday I wished we had our jigging stuff onboard! I guess you got to swap one Mark for another Shawn Glad you got on 'em, sorry I saw your message too late...the boat was ready to fish!!! I'll get you out yet!
Old 12-06-2009, 09:29 PM

The bite was on pretty good today.
Garlien and I made it out for a few hours before his boat gets winterized tomorrow.

With his electronics dead we just relied on experience to find some fish and sure enoughhe put us on them. While we didn't catch any real hogs, we did manage about 2 dozen small to fair sized fish in just over 3 hours. I think we saw less than 4 other boats all morning. We left the dock around 9:15 and returned by 1:30.

The only lure I threw was a 4" Storm Shad. Garlien was throwing similar swimbaits. Great day to be out after such a crappy day yesterday.
Old 12-06-2009, 10:32 PM

Was a great day with great company....Almost non stop for at least 2 hours...Was gettin a little cold out there but found a nice school of birds and stuck with em....Wouldn't trade this type of day for any other in the year....
Old 12-06-2009, 11:22 PM

Dang it Shawn ............ I was all ready to winterize the boat and you go and post something like this

Ive never had any luck at the bridge but ive also hardly fished the bridge either. Everytime ive tried ......... I loose alot of jigs quickly. one day it was 3 casts and 3 lost jigs and i was outta there .... lol

I love jigging and want to get better at, especially around the bridge if it holds quality fish this time of year.

My sea water pump went up last week and was hoping to have it fixed by now cause i have a vacation day monday and was hoping for one more trip at least, but it didnt get fixed yet, so started pulling everything off the boat to call it a year.

I may have to re-think that now
Old 12-07-2009, 05:30 AM

Great report Shawn! You have tempted me to tow the boat to Mattapeake before I have to winterize.

Easton MD
Old 12-07-2009, 06:36 AM

Time to break out those spot I have been saving!!! Good to hear from you Shawn.......................Mark
Old 12-07-2009, 07:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shawn Kimbro View Post

Met with light current and high skies, I didn't expect much when we arrived at the bridge at 3:00 PM today. To be honest, it wouldn't have mattered if we didn't catch a single fish.
Really?!?!?!?
Old 12-07-2009, 08:21 AM

Nice work fellas. How do you like that spiral wrapped rod Mark?

1998 Sea Hunt 202 Triton
"Hoopty"