Partner Sites:  www.BOEmarine.com | www.ClubSeaRay.com | www.BandofBoaters.com

Go Back   CBAngler.com - Chesapeake Bay Angler - The Ultimate Fisherman's Resource > CBAngler Forums > General Discussion

Old 12-08-2009, 08:23 AM

Default Report 12/7 - Fishing with my Dad

Fished with my dad, who runs a Judge 27 out of Avalon NJ, and his buddy Rick, who is a close family friend and good fisherman who is now a private charter capt for a group of rich dudes out of Cape May NJ (used to run his own boat for the public). We trailered down to Solomons as everytime my father fishes with me we dont get the hot and heavy action. Well today was no different. We had a very slow day that took a good while to even get the first bite. (I should have known it was off to a bad start when I discovered I left my blackberry at home and couldnt even keep up with work) Our largest went right about 40" and a fat 30lbs. We started just north of the HI but got forced south of it by several gillnetters who started laying nets. I worked mostly from about 55' on the west to the channel edge on the east since that is where we had bait. (I am kicking myself for not working into about 40' as we had a lot marks running home)

On a side note, on the way home I got run down by the Coast Gaurd for my 4th inspection of the year . I showed them the USCG Aux inspection sticker I got after the 2nd time I was stopped and they basicly stated that while the Aux does a nice service, they are not real inspectors. They boarded my boat and did a thorough examination. Of course I passed with flying colors but have to say that at this point and time I am a bit miffed due to all the inspections. It took a good while as they did a full report and gave me a boarding slip that they said would be good until the end of the year My other inspections were done by DNR or USCG Aux along with DNR at SPSP.

Here is a shot of me and my dad with our meat just before he headed back to NJ (one of the fish had some fresh wounds from the gill nets)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg drmfish.JPG (74.0 KB, 35 views)
File Type: jpg dadfish.JPG (66.5 KB, 40 views)

Last edited by B-Faithful; 12-08-2009 at 06:05 PM.
Old 12-08-2009, 09:35 AM

Glad I stayed south to avoid the nets. Good job picking up the ones you did. I think the action is going to pick up even more this next week.
Old 12-08-2009, 10:15 AM

Greg,

Glad you were able to get them, from what I heard it seemed a little slow down south.

Easton MD
Old 12-08-2009, 11:27 AM

Glad ya found some pullage!!!

As for the CG Insp...I wish there was a way to be inspected beforehand that actually "counted". I've heard where the DNR one doesn't count, but I thought the the aux. one did. We were boarded a few years ago at CBBT...all was well, but it took a half hour of our precious fishing time away. I know they are doing their job, but what really irritates me is when they drive right by a boat that could use some of their attention (14' alum skiff, etc) to stop one that would appear to have all of the safety regulations correct. ie- guys wearing inflatable PFD's. Yep, they should check the fish boxes, but that shouldn't take more than 5 min. and everone could get underway again.

Just my .02 worth......

GW 222
Old 12-08-2009, 11:49 AM

Hey Greg,
Sorry I didn't get more intel for you. I was having some phone trouble as well. It sounds like you did just fine without me though. Glad you got your dad and buddy on some fish. Looks like a good day to me!

I agree, those CG inspections are a little bit over the top.
Old 12-08-2009, 03:14 PM

Nice going Greg. Glad you got some fish for your Dad....Don
Old 12-08-2009, 03:34 PM

Nice fish Greg. You better put your dad on some big numbers before he starts talking about you behind your back.

1998 Sea Hunt 202 Triton
"Hoopty"
Old 12-08-2009, 05:38 PM

always very good to feesh with family. great story and trip!
Old 12-08-2009, 05:50 PM

Glad to hear you guys had a strong finish. Sucks about the nets, but at least you had 3 experienced boaters to keep a look out. Hopefully they stay north of me.
Old 12-08-2009, 09:00 PM

Greg...................nothing better than fishing with dad. I'm sure your dad could care less how many fish were caught. The quality time is what its all about.........................Mark