Partner Sites:  www.BOEmarine.com | www.ClubSeaRay.com | www.BandofBoaters.com

Go Back   CBAngler.com - Chesapeake Bay Angler - The Ultimate Fisherman's Resource > CBAngler Forums > General Discussion

Old 04-15-2011, 03:57 AM

Default Looking for some info on Spring/early summer fishing

This will be the earliest I've ever gotten to start my fishing season and was hoping to get some info on what to expect for april - June fishing.

Ive only expanded my fishing from out of the local rivers and into the main bay about 3 years ago and I havent been able to get the boat ready till almost july each season. Cover hasnt even came off the boat yet but plan on getting her ready this week hopefully.

Im outta the Back River / Middle River area and have fished from Pooles island to Poplar Island and hoping to travel even farther south this season. My favorite areas last season were the chester river and eastern bay. I spent alot of time last season going over my chart and gps and trying different areas that look good (on paper). A few areas paid off but most were a bust. I guess i could have been hitting those spots the wrong time of the year though.

My favorite tactics so far have mainly been LTJ (When i can find the fish) but also enjoy chumming and even drifting over structure dragging bloodworms & night crawlers for perch & croakers. Ive tried a little bit of trolling with 4 rods but havent had alot of luck and it bores the heck outta my GF who's usually always with me and normally out fishes me .... lol. I plan to upgrade some gear this year and give trolling more of a chance though. Put a new hard top on the boat last season with 11 rocket launchers so i need to get some use out of it.

My boat is a 1985 Sea Ray Amberjack 255 (28' LOA)with a 10 foot beam with a 2010 496 MAG MPI so rough water and traveling farther south isnt much of a problem except for the gas prices this year!!

Just looking for some info that might help lessen the learning curve a bit. Like what to expect from the spring trophy run and how long it lasts. General areas I might have better success. When the croakers & blues start showing up in the mid & upper bay. Or any other useful info would be much appreciated.

Really looking forward to get out there soon and I dont even mind the skunk days that much as long as i feel like im learning each time i go out but it does get frustrating when i head out and dont have a clue on where i want to go or what type of fishing i want to do that particular day.....lol.

I try to make a game plan but always seem to never stick with it.

By the way, Ive seen a few regulars from here & TF out there from time to time but really havent had the chance to meet any of you yet but hoping that might change this season. If you see me out there give me a shout!

Last edited by CAGE RATTLER; 04-15-2011 at 04:00 AM.
Old 04-15-2011, 01:28 PM

Since you are on TF - might be worth going back and reading posts from last few years. Lot of good info and you'll get a feel for when certain fish show up.

The bigger Rock should be around the Annapolis area until about first week of May. Then they head out. South sees a week or two longer. Now / then in June - a Rock over 40'' will pop up but not common.

Trolling can be very productive but some days the bite is only a short period. I've trolled from 6 am and not had a fish until 2. Then in an hour , we get 6-7 fish quickly.

With your boat - be sure it will troll about 2.8 to 3.0. Some big inboards do not idle down slow enough for spring fish. I had an I/O - needed a 5 gallon bucket as a sea anchor to slow her down.

Most years - there is good fishing for 18 to 30 inch Rock near Love Point from late May until July. They do move around a lot - but once you find them - fast fishing.
Old 04-16-2011, 12:04 AM

Thanks for the reply Skip.
Old 04-16-2011, 06:08 AM

Default it's no secret,...

i'm late as always too. but you can't catch them if you're not trying. July???

Last edited by Southerly; 04-16-2011 at 08:06 AM.
Old 04-16-2011, 08:41 AM

Cage Rattler......if you really want to speed up the learning curve, jump aboard with one or more of the guys on this forum. Most are good guys and more than willing to assist. Give me a shout if you are interested.
Mark cell 301-602-2148
Old 04-16-2011, 12:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southerly View Post
i'm late as always too. but you can't catch them if you're not trying. July???
Yeah July is pretty late but the past 2 years its been a struggle just to make it out for the 4th of july fireworks in middle river.

last season i wound up putting in a new motor and the season before, when i bought the new to me Amberjasck, I had to have a new transom asssembly installed and have the transom rebuilt which unfortunately didnt know about till I splasher her and she started taking on water.

This year, she's ready to go as soon as i take the cover off and give her a wash and wax. I do have some upgrades I wanted to do this year but have been thinking about going ahead and splashing her now and pull it back out after the spring run to do some work on her.

Kind of part of the reason I made this post. Trying to figure out if theres a slow period when I should pull the boat back out to do some work on her.

Last edited by CAGE RATTLER; 04-16-2011 at 12:55 PM.
Old 04-16-2011, 12:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlag View Post
Cage Rattler......if you really want to speed up the learning curve, jump aboard with one or more of the guys on this forum. Most are good guys and more than willing to assist. Give me a shout if you are interested.
Mark cell 301-602-2148
Thanks for the offer Mark. I've recieved a PM with an offer as well and hoping to take you guys up on them. My work hours are a little crazy right now and normally work 2-10 during the week so would have to be in around noonish.

I'd love to take some trips on my boat as well to get some feedback on how I could set my boat up better.
Old 04-16-2011, 01:41 PM

Any assistance you want on the upgrades or set up on the boat let me know, I am very familiar with the boat being I own one.

Old 04-16-2011, 02:02 PM

Cage Rattler................no problem on getting in around noon. Many of my trips are morning only and then I head into the office. Send me your cell phone on a pm if you are interested. I'm sure we could hook up in the next couple of weeks.....................Mark
Old 04-16-2011, 03:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlag View Post
Cage Rattler................no problem on getting in around noon. Many of my trips are morning only and then I head into the office. Send me your cell phone on a pm if you are interested. I'm sure we could hook up in the next couple of weeks.....................Mark
Sounds good Mark.

pm sent