Partner Sites:  www.BOEmarine.com | www.ClubSeaRay.com | www.BandofBoaters.com

Go Back   CBAngler.com - Chesapeake Bay Angler - The Ultimate Fisherman's Resource > CBAngler Forums > General Discussion

Old 03-29-2012, 10:35 PM

Default Part Time Field Interviewers Needed - Fishing Related

Saw this on craigslist and thought maybe someone would be interested. The pay is ridiculous; I can't imagine even a college kid doing this for the summer.

It would be nice to have someone knowlegable in this position though.

http://annapolis.craigslist.org/npo/2929088365.html

Part Time Field Interviewers Needed

On behalf of Research Triangle Institute, Headway Workforce Solutions is seeking part time Field Interviewers to work on a government sponsored research study in Annapolis, MD. Candidates can also live in the Anne, Arundel, Calvert Counties as well as Queen Annes.

POSITION SUMMARY
RTI International is seeking to hire field interviewers for the 2012 Atlantic Coast Access-Point Angler Intercept Survey. This important research study, sponsored by the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration's National Marine Fisheries Service (NMFS) conducts face-to-face interviews with marine recreational anglers, or those who fish in saltwater for fun, not for competition or for money. Field interviewers travel to assigned sites to interview anglers about their fishing experiences, collect a variety of information, and (when possible) weigh, measure, and identify fish that the anglers have caught. Assigned sites can include beaches, banks, piers, docks, jetties, and access points for private, charter, and head boats, including marinas, boat ramps and other points of entry to marine waters. Field interviewers are responsible for filling out surveys with anglers at these sites in addition to completing other study forms.

POSITION TYPE AND DURATION
Position is part-time, hourly, and temporary. Weekly hours may vary based on your location. Approximately 6 to 8 months of work is available with an average of 10-25 hours per week.

JOB REQUIREMENTS
• Be available to work, on average, a minimum of 10 hours per week from May through October;
• Have a valid driver's license and access to a personal vehicle;
• Be willing to travel reasonable distances to reach assigned sites;
• Have legible handwriting and good attention to detail;
• Be able to complete, organize, and safely store paperwork;
• Be comfortable working outside for extended periods of time in varying temperatures and weather conditions;
• Be available on weekends and weekdays, with additional availability during some evenings and nights preferred but not required;
• Be comfortable approaching and speaking with strangers;
• Be able to explain the importance of this federally-funded study;
• Be able to identify key species of fish (up to 25 or more different species; guides and training will be provided)
• Be comfortable handling, measuring, and weighing fish;
• Be willing to conduct interviews on Head Boats (for-hire fishing vessels) at sea;

Candidates with the following backgrounds are strongly encouraged to apply: Field Interviewing, Fishing, Outsides Sales, and Retired individuals.

TRAINING
Field Interviewers will receive paid training in person, with dates at the end of April or beginning of May. Attendance at all of training is mandatory. Trainees must successfully complete training to continue employment on the project.

The pay for this position begins at $8-9 per hour and will be set based upon experience, with mileage reimbursed at $.51 per mile.

For immediate consideration please apply by visiting https://www.appone.com/MainInfoReq.asp?R_ID=604628
Old 03-30-2012, 03:18 PM

You'll see a lot of retired guys doing that job. They do it more for fun / get out of the house then the money.

We've been interviewed 6-7 times , mostly at Sandy Point.

It seems well run - had a follow up call twice to confirm info the interviewer put down - guess they spot check every so often.

We came back in the fall 2 years ago - interviewer asked if we had fish. My dad said yes , interviewer asked if he could weigh / measure.

My dad looked at the scale and asked what it's limit was. Interviewer said - it's plenty big enough - rated to 20 lbs.

Dad laughed and put a fat fall 38 1/2 on the dock. It bottomed out that scale - fish weighed about 23 lbs on my 50 lb scale.
Old 03-30-2012, 04:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skip View Post
You'll see a lot of retired guys doing that job. They do it more for fun / get out of the house then the money.

That's kind of why I posted it here. Figured maybe someone here would enjoy the job and find the perks more beneficial than the meager paycheck.
Old 03-30-2012, 08:12 PM

I applied. Fully dependent on the hours they wanted me to "work" and what the job actually consisted of, I will seriously consider it...
Old 03-31-2012, 07:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ste6168 View Post
I applied. Fully dependent on the hours they wanted me to "work" and what the job actually consisted of, I will seriously consider it...
That's right! You have your summers relatively free with your main job. Good luck!
Old 03-31-2012, 10:44 AM

It would be great to fill the position with fishermen. I was interviewed last summer at Curtis Merritt in Chincoteague. I had a bluefin tuna and a dolphin on the boat. I showed the girl my catch. She asked me what kind of fish they were and I jokingly told her they were both Tilefish. She wrote down Tilefish for both. I then had to argue with her to get her to change the report to say tuna.

www.DCMSSA.org
Twitter: @DCMSSA
www.facebook.com/DCMSSA

23' SeaCraft, Twin E-Tec 150s
Old 03-31-2012, 11:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bend-Lure View Post
It would be great to fill the position with fishermen. I was interviewed last summer at Curtis Merritt in Chincoteague. I had a bluefin tuna and a dolphin on the boat. I showed the girl my catch. She asked me what kind of fish they were and I jokingly told her they were both Tilefish. She wrote down Tilefish for both. I then had to argue with her to get her to change the report to say tuna.
You should have told her they were "Philayo" fish.