Partner Sites:  www.BOEmarine.com | www.ClubSeaRay.com | www.BandofBoaters.com

Go Back   CBAngler.com - Chesapeake Bay Angler - The Ultimate Fisherman's Resource > CBAngler Forums > General Discussion

Old 07-25-2015, 12:46 PM

Default Insurance Coverage

As some of you know, opening day was eventful for me and my crew. I was coming out of Rockhold Creek. It was just before daybreak and I followed the charter boats out past the jetty. I opened it up to 17mph (the speed most charters run out of Deale). I told my crew to be on the lookout for the white clam markers just outside Deale (the winter ice had laid them over). I told them they would be easy enough to see, but extra eyes would be helpful.

About three to five minutes outside the jetty, we felt a WHAM. My first thought was that I hit something. But instead, we had been hit from behind by another boat A 33 ft Grady White (with radar) ran smack dab into my outboard and slid off to do damage to my gelcoat on the transom.
I was amazed that it wasn't more damage. The engine cover needed replacing and about 9 inches of gelcoat work. I guess, because I was doing 17 and he was doing 27 (maybe); it was like he hit me at only 10mph. Add to that, a boat in the water moves forward when hit (not stationary like a car), and we were all very lucky.

Anyway, I got my new insurance premium bill for this coming year. Because I put in a claim, I no longer qualify for a special discount that I was getting. My old bill was for $695/year. The new bill is for $765/year. Now I realize that's only $70 more/year. But it pisses me off that My insurance rates went up due to someone else hitting me from behind and being at fault.
I'll spend $70 on a single fishing trip (ice, bait, gas, tackle); but it's the principle that has me ticked.
It's not financially efficient, but I'll spend $800 on a new insurance policy, just so I can call them and tell them to Kiss My A$$.

So here's what I need from you. What insurance company do you have? Have you ever put in a claim? How proficient were they in handling your claim? Are you still happy with your carrier?
I'm with BoatUS and never put in a claim in for over 30 years of boating. Even when my electronics were stolen, I placed a claim, but then the electronics were recovered, so my claim was withdrawn.

Again, I realize that $70 is not a big deal. I may be forced to stay with them if I can't find another carrier. I know some people have Charter Lakes and are happy. Who do you have and how happy are you?
5th
Old 07-25-2015, 05:00 PM

I use Sea Insure from Seatow for the last 5 years but I have not had a claim so I really do not know since a claim is where you separate the good from the bad .
Old 07-26-2015, 03:59 PM

Call Jerry Judge at Bayside insurance in Stevensville. He is an Erie rep.

Old 07-26-2015, 05:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5th Tuition View Post
As some of you know, opening day was eventful for me and my crew. I was coming out of Rockhold Creek. It was just before daybreak and I followed the charter boats out past the jetty. I opened it up to 17mph (the speed most charters run out of Deale). I told my crew to be on the lookout for the white clam markers just outside Deale (the winter ice had laid them over). I told them they would be easy enough to see, but extra eyes would be helpful.

About three to five minutes outside the jetty, we felt a WHAM. My first thought was that I hit something. But instead, we had been hit from behind by another boat A 33 ft Grady White (with radar) ran smack dab into my outboard and slid off to do damage to my gelcoat on the transom.
I was amazed that it wasn't more damage. The engine cover needed replacing and about 9 inches of gelcoat work. I guess, because I was doing 17 and he was doing 27 (maybe); it was like he hit me at only 10mph. Add to that, a boat in the water moves forward when hit (not stationary like a car), and we were all very lucky.

Anyway, I got my new insurance premium bill for this coming year. Because I put in a claim, I no longer qualify for a special discount that I was getting. My old bill was for $695/year. The new bill is for $765/year. Now I realize that's only $70 more/year. But it pisses me off that My insurance rates went up due to someone else hitting me from behind and being at fault.
I'll spend $70 on a single fishing trip (ice, bait, gas, tackle); but it's the principle that has me ticked.
It's not financially efficient, but I'll spend $800 on a new insurance policy, just so I can call them and tell them to Kiss My A$$.

So here's what I need from you. What insurance company do you have? Have you ever put in a claim? How proficient were they in handling your claim? Are you still happy with your carrier?
I'm with BoatUS and never put in a claim in for over 30 years of boating. Even when my electronics were stolen, I placed a claim, but then the electronics were recovered, so my claim was withdrawn.

Again, I realize that $70 is not a big deal. I may be forced to stay with them if I can't find another carrier. I know some people have Charter Lakes and are happy. Who do you have and how happy are you?
5th
Didn't the guy that hit you pay for the damage?
Old 07-26-2015, 06:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by reds View Post
Didn't the guy that hit you pay for the damage?
Yep; this is all about me putting in a claim. My insurance pays for the repairs, minus my deductible (supposedly to get me back on the water quicker). After I'm back on the water, then they go after the other guys insurance company to get reimbursed.

BUT; technically, I put in a claim Therefore, I'm not eligible for a special discount that I was getting for NEVER putting in a claim

Like I said, for the policy to go up $70 is not a huge increase. I'm sure it cost them more than $70 to process my claim. They had not only the office paperwork, but their adjuster/surveyor came out twice to see the boat (and I know he had to get paid too).

I haven't called them yet to see if they will drop the $70 charge (perhaps they will). I just wanted other options before I call.
5th
Old 07-26-2015, 07:25 PM

Shorething here works at Bayside insurance. Give him a call. He has my homeowners, auto, life, and umbrella with Erie. Erie is great to deal with when you need them (I have had auto claims and house fire claims with them). I got a multipolicy discount. I used to have my boat insurance with them prior to running for hire trips. It was great to have everything backed up by the umbrella.

I now have charter lakes for my boat since I run charter trips. However I dont know how they are when it comes to claims. I know Erie is good and Chris is responsive.
Old 07-27-2015, 04:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by B-Faithful View Post
Shorething here works at Bayside insurance. Give him a call. He has my homeowners, auto, life, and umbrella with Erie. Erie is great to deal with when you need them (I have had auto claims and house fire claims with them). I got a multipolicy discount. I used to have my boat insurance with them prior to running for hire trips. It was great to have everything backed up by the umbrella.

I now have charter lakes for my boat since I run charter trips. However I dont know how they are when it comes to claims. I know Erie is good and Chris is responsive.
Call Hogan's Insurance in Chestertown for the charter Insurance. That is the company most of the charter people in the upper bay deal with. Better rates.
Old 07-27-2015, 08:13 AM

Marty,
If you wanted to package your Home, Auto etc with the Boat then I could look at packaging everything with Erie. Erie does not insure boats stand alone. Otherwise I have markets with Progressive, Catlin, NMU and Foremost for boats stand alone. Give me a call or send me an email if you want to discuss. Chris 410-643-6641 or chris@bayside-insurance.com.
Old 07-27-2015, 02:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chessie27 View Post
Call Jerry Judge at Bayside insurance in Stevensville. He is an Erie rep.
He also does Progressive - thats who I have my boat insurance through
Old 07-27-2015, 02:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by reds View Post
Call Hogan's Insurance in Chestertown for the charter Insurance. That is the company most of the charter people in the upper bay deal with. Better rates.
This is who we have the charter boat with - been good to deal with. They beat Charter Lakes rate by a long shot.