Partner Sites:  www.BOEmarine.com | www.ClubSeaRay.com | www.BandofBoaters.com

Go Back   CBAngler.com - Chesapeake Bay Angler - The Ultimate Fisherman's Resource > CBAngler Forums > Fishing Reports

Old 08-09-2015, 06:33 PM

Default Sat morning off the Rock

Now I am not a fan of eating anything that comes from our part of the Bay so I RARELY keep fish for myself. I think we have eaten rockfish and crabs maybe twice a year each for the last few years. That said, I still like to CATCH fish!! I have now been out twice in a row without a damn bite!! Admittedly I may not have put a full force effort in but still, a skunk 2X in a row??? Could it be that my red hoses are starting to fail me?? I even put out a black hose, a little crippled alewife, and a Capt John spreader bar. Nothing!! Didn't catch Zip!! Guess I was getting spoiled on the last few trips and the Fish Gods had to straighten me out. Was fishing upper end of Swan Point Bar with all the other boats that got there before 8:15 and stayed past 11:00AM ( I said I didn't put in a full effort)

1 more skunk and I might be having a hell of a yard sale!!

Old 08-09-2015, 09:20 PM

Jeff; no doubt the fish are scattered now. Several weeks ago they were concentrated and fishing (trolling) was easier I would go through a pod of fish (maybe 25-50) and 3 rods would go down. Now I go through a pod of 10-15 fish and HOPE a single rod snags a fish.
With all the liveliners working shallow water (14-17 ft); they may have encouraged the fish to feed shallower water
I am keeping the trolling rods on the boat, but I have been fortunate to find some smaller spot to live line the next time out.

It's always a challenge to try to stay one step ahead of them

5th
Old 08-10-2015, 10:08 AM

Green Glitter Shads!!!
Old 08-10-2015, 01:46 PM

Your boat has been sitting in slums for a week. I'm sure that nasty water left a smell on it that scares the fish away. I'm sure it will wash off by this weekend.
Old 08-10-2015, 02:17 PM

I ran a charter on Saturday and took a rockfish skunk (well we caught some dinks). I have had a couple slow days this year but that was my first skunk in a long time. We spent almost the entire trip looking for spot and couldnt buy one. Perch were even very slow and they typically have been like rats on the streets of Baltimore while trying to catch spot. We did get some to just over 11" but they were not on fire either. While finding spot has been more difficult this year, we have always been able to catch enough to live line some and catch some nice rockfish.

I do not know what was going on but the bite was very tough. I even talked to an over 6 boat that only caught like 15 perch, 2 spot and a bluefish on his morning trip. Water temps were 78 degrees on the surface when they were 82 degrees on Tuesday and we had a decent bite with fish 26" to the mid 30's. I notice facebook had almost no rockfish photos posted from Saturday morning.

I may sling chum on my next trip.

Last edited by B-Faithful; 08-10-2015 at 02:21 PM.
Old 08-10-2015, 05:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by No Ragrets View Post
Your boat has been sitting in slums for a week. I'm sure that nasty water left a smell on it that scares the fish away. I'm sure it will wash off by this weekend.
You may be onto something there!! First skunk came the day I moved slips to "the cheap seats in the back" and the second skunk came the last day I was back there. No trips in between. Hmmmmmm, giving up my free, covered slip for a week really cost me a lot.

Sorry to hear others struggled as well but misery does love company!

For now, Yard Sale postponed (although I do have a lot of green glitter to get rid of)

Old 08-10-2015, 10:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chessie27 View Post

Sorry to hear others struggled as well but misery does love company!
:
Oh yeah? How's this for misery? Two weeks ago, while looking for spot,I fired up one of my engines and heard a snap. One of the cylinders ate a ring and gouged the cylinder wall. Motor should be rebuilt in about 2 to 3 weeks. Guess I'll be headboat fishing for flounder for awhile. Unless someone wants a livelining ho?
Old 08-12-2015, 05:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark1234 View Post
Oh yeah? How's this for misery? Two weeks ago, while looking for spot,I fired up one of my engines and heard a snap. One of the cylinders ate a ring and gouged the cylinder wall. Motor should be rebuilt in about 2 to 3 weeks. Guess I'll be headboat fishing for flounder for awhile. Unless someone wants a livelining ho?
Damn!! Sorry to hear!! That sucks!!!! Where do you head pat for flounder around here???
Livelining? Never tried it and got no spot or a live well that works to keep them in!

Old 08-12-2015, 10:50 PM

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chessie27 View Post
Damn!! Sorry to hear!! That sucks!!!! Where do you head pat for flounder around here???
Livelining? Never tried it and got no spot or a live well that works to keep them in!
I go down to OC and fish the wrecks for flounder.

If you're driving I'll rig up a temporary livewell and show you how to liveline.