Partner Sites:  www.BOEmarine.com | www.ClubSeaRay.com | www.BandofBoaters.com

Go Back   CBAngler.com - Chesapeake Bay Angler - The Ultimate Fisherman's Resource > CBAngler Forums > General Discussion

Old 03-26-2012, 06:32 PM

Default Sad Sad Day.... Rest in Peace My Friend

Gentlemen, Captain George Prenant passed away last evening with his family by his side. Funeral arrangements are still being made as of this post.

I will openly thank Brandon White for creating Tidalfish,and allowing George and I to become good friends. For about a two year span, we communicated damn near every morning around 4:00 AM. I was just getting into the Bay fishing and once I gained his trust, he openly shared his decades of experience on the water with me.

I've fished with him many many times. Some paid trips, some freebies, hell I was his emergency mate for two trips. Six and half hours of pure hell. He said right, I went left. He said deep, I went shallow... So god damn funny. We did much much better the next day..... But we both had this wonderful relationship.

You either loved George, or you hated him. I loved the man. His career in the Marines, life as a mechanic in Georgetown, and ultimately trolling our beautiful resource, The Chesapeake..

I do hope if you knew the man and how much he loved our fishery, you will make time to pay your respects.

I'll post as soon as I know the times..
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 121_2104.jpg (58.7 KB, 32 views)
File Type: jpg CaptainGeorge 036.jpg (79.1 KB, 28 views)

Last edited by Blakesdad; 03-26-2012 at 06:36 PM.
Old 03-26-2012, 06:34 PM

I really thought, I actually know I have many more pictures.. Just have to find them....
Old 03-26-2012, 07:02 PM

Capt George was one of the first speakers I lined up when the DC Metro MSSA chapter was getting off the ground. We will all miss him. Quite a character.

www.DCMSSA.org
Twitter: @DCMSSA
www.facebook.com/DCMSSA

23' SeaCraft, Twin E-Tec 150s
Old 03-26-2012, 07:14 PM

I'm sorry to hear of the loss of your friend. He sounds like someone I would have really liked.

As we get older, we inherit the status of those that have left us. I hope that when my day comes, I will have made good enough impressions upon people that they will memorialize me as we do our mentors and older friends. I want to be the old sea salt that helped kids learn to love fishing and all of our natural resources; the guy that shared information and was respected by those around him. I'll work harder to be that kind of person.

I believe that's two great friends of the fishing community that we've lost this year already.
Old 03-27-2012, 10:15 AM

Many of us have paid our respects on TF. Capt George was quite a character. I was fortunate enough to meet him one day at Happy Harbor while eating lunch. I went over and introduced myself. We talked about the bay and fishing for a few minutes. His wife, Miss Ruby, was there and I didn't want to keep him too long; but I got the impression that this wasn't the first time her lunch had been interupted with talk of the bay.
It was Marines like him that came back from the war and built this great country for me to grow up in. RIP, Captain George.
5th (Marty)
Old 03-28-2012, 02:32 PM

There will be a service March 31st at the Cedar Grove Church 5965 Deale-Churchton Rd. Deale, Md 20751 at 2:00pm. After the service there will be a celebration of life at the Moose lodge in Shady Side, Md.
Old 03-28-2012, 03:10 PM

I love the first photo - one on the left.

You should have an 8x10 made and send it to Capt. George's wife.

That photo really captured some thing special. I remember seeing it a while back on TF.
Old 03-29-2012, 06:48 AM

It is very sad to think Capt George is gone. I have sat with George and Ruby at many crab feasts and enjoyed hours of conversation. A wonderful couple that has endured over 50 years of marriage. I have fished with George and realized that he has forgotten more than most of us know about the bay. He IS the "Old Man of the Sea." I am blessed to have known him and I hope he is laid to rest with his Captain's License as he requested................Gary
Old 03-29-2012, 12:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skip View Post
I love the first photo - one on the left.

You should have an 8x10 made and send it to Capt. George's wife.

That photo really captured some thing special. I remember seeing it a while back on TF.
Skip thats actually Hensleys boy. God, six seven years ago. George took Jimmy and I and our kids out for a nice afternoon. Many memories, Jimmy for one reason or another stood on the transom to cast to breaking fish, George, not missing a beat, Get the hell off of there !!!! Jimmy was stunned. George told him he was to old to swim if Jimmy fell over.. The boat busted into laughs...
Old 03-29-2012, 12:39 PM

Couple more pics still can't find a set. Damn it..
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 121_2102.jpg (50.5 KB, 9 views)
File Type: jpg 121_2113.jpg (69.9 KB, 9 views)