Partner Sites:  www.BOEmarine.com | www.ClubSeaRay.com | www.BandofBoaters.com

Go Back   CBAngler.com - Chesapeake Bay Angler - The Ultimate Fisherman's Resource > CBAngler Forums > Fishing Reports

Old 10-18-2017, 03:32 PM

Default Fish are schooling up... Rocktober

Some good news...

1. Some big migrant rockfish have been caught off of northern NJ according to some on line reports. Maybe they will make it down this way this year! After the slow trophy season, it would be great to see them in the fall.

2. Fish are schooling up outside the rivers on humps, bumps and drop offs in the Chesapeake. Active birds will show the way to the general area but look for pods under the "picking" birds away from them.

With spot gone we have moved to light tackle jigging. Mostly using 5" Z-mans, 6" BKDs, and 1oz Lil bunkers.

I fished 2 trips on 10/06 and limited out on both. Morning trip we had fish to 27". However we found them the last hour or so and left them biting. It was dink city up until then.

The afternoon on 10/06 the fish were not where I left them biting. However the binoculars showed me the way to working birds and we found a nice pod of mostly ~22" fish with the largest going 25". We had a lot of keeper-sized releases.

I took 11 days off from fishing to help Judge with the boat show last weekend and see my kids at homecoming events. However I fished yesterday with my dad, my brother, and a family friend. Had to fish the river in the morning due to 17kn winds out of the north with gusts to 22kn according the weather marker. We caught a lot of shorts and put only one keeper in the box. On the run out of the river after the winds died we were able to find a nice grade of fish in the bay in the low-mid 20's with the largest going 29.5". It was an easy limit here plus some nice releases.

Follow me on facebook for last minute walk-on trips or call or text 4100-533-1435 to book a private trip..
Old 10-18-2017, 04:43 PM

Well that's welcome news? But I have been out several times myself as well as others on this site and aren't or haven't been doing so well! So Greg, on your behalf can you maybe be a little more specific on where you have been finding such fish? Not to worry, this isn't tidLtrash and we are a little more tight lipped!
I know for a fact you have my number as well as a lot of people's numbers on this site, so please share weather it be here or by a " friendly text". We promise we won't go catch them all! Unless that is we find them through " networking" without your help and leave you and charters high and dry" ! Works both ways my "friend"!