Partner Sites:  www.BOEmarine.com | www.ClubSeaRay.com | www.BandofBoaters.com

Go Back   CBAngler.com - Chesapeake Bay Angler - The Ultimate Fisherman's Resource > CBAngler Forums > Fishing Reports

Old 09-09-2017, 01:56 AM

Default 9/8/17

Dan, my friend from Pa., and I finally got together for a fishing trip. Thursday's weather looked "possible", but friday looked like a better day on the water. He had to drive south from Pa. and meet me at 5:30am at my house
The bite I had been experiencing has been an early one with fewer boats early in the morning.
Dan likes to jig, so we had to get away from the pier around 6:00. Bruce had been out Thursday in the upper bay with limited success and fought the winds in his friends 20 ft CC. I invited him Friday to experience the bite further south.
We slid into an area that's produced well for me around 7:15 and there were a few boats catching fish under birds. We joined the action and rather quickly put 3 keepers in the box.
Once again, when a host of other boats showed up, the best bite on the jig diminished. The pods of fish scattered, and I put out 4 trolling rods with #1 and #2 planers. Trolling, put 3 more keepers in the box for our limit.
It was only a little after 10, but I heard one of my crew say it was time for a sandwich When I fish, I fish;but because we had Dan with us, I wanted to extend the day.
We ran to Kentmore Marina/Resturant and tied up in a slip, only to find out they didn't open until 11:30 However, they would start serving us drinks earlier
We walked the pier looking at charter boats and rec boats, and soon found ourselves "thirsty". We took a table at 11:15 and ordered some crab cakes, soft crabs, and libations. Great food, conversation, and scenery. Watched a few charters return while we ate, and commented on how we were glad we didn't have to produce fish for 12-13-14 or 15 people (like some of the charters).
When we left, we ran into a ton of peanut bunker out in the bay. The meter showed it to be "unmolested", but Dan tried a few casts anyway. Nobody Home
But what a good sight to see so much bait in the bay. I'm hopeful of a continuing good bite throughout the fall.
As usual, I had to take a peek at an area close to home before we called it a day. I found a few birds working, not a lot, but enough to check out. Good thing we did, found a nice grade of fish (up to 26 inches) under the birds.
It was a great way to finish the day. Back at the dock, Dan and Bruce cleaned fish while I took care of the boat. I believe I will pull it today. The bottom needs to be power washed and painted (I always do it in the fall/not spring). It could use a good "detailing" as well. Maybe my good friend Jim Catterton (Power Play) can fit me in for a good waxing.
It won't hurt to fill up the fuel tanks on shore for a change either

I hope to be back in the water in around soon. The fall pattern has begun

p.s. Thanks to Bruce for picking up the tab at Kentmore
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_2549.jpg (96.3 KB, 17 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2550.jpg (96.6 KB, 20 views)
Old 09-09-2017, 08:21 AM

Hey Marty
It was great to fish with you and Bruce Yesterday.Lunch at Kentmore was really nice also.
You always put me on the fish.Thanks for a awesome trip
Old 09-10-2017, 07:57 PM

Glad to hear you were able to get Dan into some fish...That is one heck of a long drive but I am sure it was more than worth it...
Old 09-13-2017, 07:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by garlien View Post
Glad to hear you were able to get Dan into some fish...That is one heck of a long drive but I am sure it was more than worth it...
Sometimes just being at Kentmorr/Dirty Dave's is worth the drive.