Partner Sites:  www.BOEmarine.com | www.ClubSeaRay.com | www.BandofBoaters.com

Go Back   CBAngler.com - Chesapeake Bay Angler - The Ultimate Fisherman's Resource > CBAngler Forums > General Discussion

Old 03-01-2010, 08:50 PM

Default Outboard Motor Oil

Looks like Bass Pro is not going to place their Quicksilver oil on sale this year. I usually buy two cases from them.
I was wondering if anyone has a supply where they can pick it up at under the 26 dollar BPS price?
Since Alltackle is putting in a boat supply section, does anyone know if he will be carrying either Yamma Lube or Quicksilver?
What are the rest of you guy's doing this year?
5th (Marty)
Old 03-01-2010, 09:38 PM

Burning the cheap stuff.....Pennzoil.....like I have for years with no problems.
Sandpiper Charters www.goinsfishin.com
Old 03-02-2010, 07:43 AM

I've been using Citgo for years with no problems. That said, to each his own.
Old 03-02-2010, 09:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goinsfishin View Post
Burning the cheap stuff.....Pennzoil.....like I have for years with no problems.
Steve, I have raised this question before on the other board and I was told that if you have a 4 stroke motor then you should "Only" use Yamaha oil in it if you have a Yamaha motor. I have over 800 hours on my motor and I have only used Yamaha oil. Is it OK to use a different kind of oil in a 4 stroke motor???? I do know it would be less expensive to use a different kind of oil but I don’t want to mess anything up...
Contact Info:
Backyard Custom Rods and Repairs.
(301) 898-1136 or Cell (240) 486-0007
E-Mail BCRodsandRepairs@aol.com

Last edited by Steve F; 03-02-2010 at 09:21 AM.
Old 03-02-2010, 09:28 AM

Steve, these guys are running two stroke motors. They mix oil in with the fuel.

As far as 4 stroke motors stick with the weight and manufactures recommendation.

In my Honda 25HP 4 stroke I run Mobile one synthetic. Is synthetic needed NO. I just run it because that’s what I run in my other vehicles. Always use good SAE approved oils. See you owners manual about oils with high amounts oils detergents in them.

My Honda wants me to use Honda plugs Honda oil filter Honda oil. Hogwash.

I change oil every season 100 – 200 hours

PSG

iiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii iiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii iiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii
Contrary to rumors you have heard: I Fish A Lot. I Don’t Catch A Lot
Old 03-02-2010, 10:15 AM

Steve; Rob is correct; we are running two stroke motors. I always ran yammalube in her, but it was getting harder to find. When you went into a store, most of the shelf was dedicated to 4 stroke oil. When I did find 2 stroke, often they would be out of gallons and only have quarts.
I switched to Quicksilver Premium Plus because it was always accessible at BPS. It always went on sale in the spring and I could grab two cases to last me the summer.
Last year, only the Premium (not the plus) was on sale; and now this year, it looks like none of it is going to be on sale.
If everything works out, I may have a lead on some yamalube to get me through this season (cross your fingers for BOTH of us), as someone on the board may be getting a new ride with a 4 stroke (sweet).
Best of luck to him, and I can take some old oil off his hands.
5th (Marty)
Old 03-02-2010, 11:02 AM

I figured that I was just not thinking about 2 stokes. I have always changed my oil and lower unit every 100 hours and I think only once did it go over. Now I will tell you that I did change over to Sierra oil filters and they seem to be working out very well and a lot less $$$ then Yamaha filters. It’s hard to believe that you can’t find any yammalube but if I hear of anyone selling it I will let you know. I get all of my oil from Mare Inc. in Thurmont and I buy a case at a time. If you happen to call them and they have the yammalube let me know and I will pick it up for ya. They do maintenance on Yamahas so I would think they would have it.
Contact Info:
Backyard Custom Rods and Repairs.
(301) 898-1136 or Cell (240) 486-0007
E-Mail BCRodsandRepairs@aol.com
Old 03-02-2010, 11:19 AM

I was told to only use Yama lube or Mecury in the newer Yamaha motors - roughly 2004 and newer.

It has to do with the metering system - it needs the right viscosity oil to function correctly.

At 5,000 RPM - bad things can happen quick. That bargain oil might not be a good deal.

It sucks spending $20.00 - $25.00 a gallon but better then $12,000 for a motor

The new motors really do not use that much oil. Keeping the RPM around 4,000 helps. Running WOT or close is where oil comsuption is the most.

FWIW: Cedar Creek in Delaware used to sell Yama lube by the galllon - in your jugs. Not sure if they do anymore or not. With diesel at $3.00 a gallon - not worth the long drive to try and save a few dollars on lube.
Old 03-02-2010, 12:08 PM

Every year I get my yamalube from boatsunlimitedny.com

I get the case of 2 2.5gal jugs. Works out to a little over $20 per gallon

Prompt shipment too
Old 03-02-2010, 12:29 PM

Default how about amsoil

iam going tyo try amsoil,2stroke oil this year.i've been using there 4 stroke for a few years now and it works real well. i was told the 2 stroke oil will not smoke or smell as much [two stroke high]. anyone know if that is true.