Partner Sites:  www.BOEmarine.com | www.ClubSeaRay.com | www.BandofBoaters.com

Go Back   CBAngler.com - Chesapeake Bay Angler - The Ultimate Fisherman's Resource > CBAngler Forums > General Discussion

Old 08-17-2010, 09:56 AM

Default Snakehead in Spa Creek?

I put in at Truxton Park and when I was motoring out I seen a dead Snakehead floating in front of the Charthouse. It was in bad shape and was probably dead for a few days. I wonder if they are in the Severn? I can't imagine that it would float all the way up from Potomac.

Has anyone else seen or caught any in the middle bay rivers?
Old 08-17-2010, 04:09 PM

Any chance you took a photo ?

Never heard of any in the Severn but they are slowly spreading - who knows where they will pop up next.

When things die - sometimes the bloat and this can make the body shape appear differant.

Might have been a dead Catfish or Eel - both of those live near Truxton.
Some years Lizard Fish are caught off Hacketts / Tollys point - these sorta look like a Snakehead but only get about 12 inches long.
Old 08-17-2010, 07:54 PM

The snakehead is a freshwater fish and has not been reported in any saltwater estuaries. I guess that doesn't mean it was NOT a snake head you saw floating but as far as biologists know, it can not survive in saltwater.........Gary
Old 08-18-2010, 06:26 AM

Like I said it was in bad shape. I wish I would have thought of taking a picture. At first I thought it could have been an eel but the size of it made me think that it was a snakehead. It was around 24" and big a round as a boat rod holder. The fins weren't continous around the body like an eel they had a break in them before they met the tail fin.

I know that snakeheads cannot survive in saltwater but they are thriving in the potomac which does become brackish. I have caught freshwater fish in the Severn such as bluegill and catfish so there is a chance.
Old 08-23-2010, 11:13 AM

maybe it was a dead pickeral. Similar body shape and head.
Old 08-25-2010, 09:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crabby and son View Post
The snakehead is a freshwater fish and has not been reported in any saltwater estuaries. I guess that doesn't mean it was NOT a snake head you saw floating but as far as biologists know, it can not survive in saltwater.........Gary
They have been caught down Solomon's way. St. Jeromes Creek . It was reported on Tidalfish a few months ago.
Old 08-26-2010, 01:57 PM

All this talk about snakeheads! I view them as our friends. They will kill all of these diseased Rockfish and then without the Rockfish the flounder will reappear. And besides, the snakeheads are supposed to be good eating!
These are all positive things.