Partner Sites:  www.BOEmarine.com | www.ClubSeaRay.com | www.BandofBoaters.com

Go Back   CBAngler.com - Chesapeake Bay Angler - The Ultimate Fisherman's Resource > CBAngler Forums > General Discussion

Old 10-08-2010, 02:13 PM

Default Trolling south of Sandy Point

Left Sandy Point at a reasonable hour; sun comes up late now. Headed South and was surprised at the waves. On the way to SP we didn't see a flag rustle in the wind. Wind on the water was from the west southwest and we stopped short of our original destination. Dropped 6 lines in about 35 ft of water and picked up two rock and a big blue. We saw birds working in more shallow water. We shortened the lines to accomodate less water. As we approached the bird action stopped, but we did pick up a couple fish under sitting birds.
About every 15 minutes another bee hive would erupt. We ended the day (before noon) with about 10 rock and 2 blues. We kept our 4 largest (21-24 inches) and we backed off and phoned a friend (who jigs) over to our spot to try his luck.
This is the first time out that I can say we experienced the beginnings of the fall pattern. We used #15 tonys and small (1/2 oz) bucktails with 4 inch twister tails. The deeper rods did the most damage today. Ten and twelve oz back 60 and 40 ft worked best.
Ran back on calm water and cleaned fish for dinner.
5th (Marty)
Old 10-08-2010, 03:21 PM

Sounds good to me. Thanks for the report. Hope to find similar success this weekend.

www.DCMSSA.org
Twitter: @DCMSSA
www.facebook.com/DCMSSA

23' SeaCraft, Twin E-Tec 150s
Old 10-08-2010, 03:21 PM

Marty - I was out as well today, jigging north of Love Point and then trolling north of Baltimore light. Jigging was mostly upper teens size rock. Trolling provided similar sized rock as you found and a few nice blues mixed in; trolling Tony 15s. Once that wind died down it was hard to convince myself it was time to head in....Don
Old 10-08-2010, 03:59 PM

Cool, good reports. Keep up the good work.
Old 10-08-2010, 05:27 PM

Well done! Always enjoy your detailed reports. While I'm a little south of you (Solomons), they give me an idea of what is still around, and hopefully headed my way... Will respond in kind next time I get out!
Old 10-08-2010, 09:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SOLOMONS 2310 View Post
Well done! Always enjoy your detailed reports.
Well then;how about a little more detail. As I said, we caught 10 rock and 2 blues. Lou and I were taking turns at the rods. I would catch a couple and then we would switch and I would steer, and Lou would bring in a couple. At one point, the action was pretty steady. Lou was busy bringing in rock, unhooking them, and deciding on the cooler, or toss overboard.
I watched him bring in about 3 rock and the 4th fish was a nice sized blue.
In my mind, I knew exactly what was going to happen next.
I watched Lou reach down and lip the blue.
Now it wasn't a big bloody mess, his brain engaged just as he inserted his thumb. The blue got just a small piece of Lou's thumb, and his ego took the biggest hit.
He looked up at me and said, "can you believe I just did that"? I said, "I could see it unfolding before my eyes".
I guess it was our "senior moment" for the day.
God help us if we develope alsheimers (sp); heven knows where we will wind up on the water. I guess we will have to buy bigger boats with bigger gas tanks so we can find our way back to the ramp.
5th (Marty)
Old 10-08-2010, 10:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5th Tuition View Post
Well then;how about a little more detail. As I said, we caught 10 rock and 2 blues. Lou and I were taking turns at the rods. I would catch a couple and then we would switch and I would steer, and Lou would bring in a couple. At one point, the action was pretty steady. Lou was busy bringing in rock, unhooking them, and deciding on the cooler, or toss overboard.
I watched him bring in about 3 rock and the 4th fish was a nice sized blue.
In my mind, I knew exactly what was going to happen next.
I watched Lou reach down and lip the blue.
Now it wasn't a big bloody mess, his brain engaged just as he inserted his thumb. The blue got just a small piece of Lou's thumb, and his ego took the biggest hit.
He looked up at me and said, "can you believe I just did that"? I said, "I could see it unfolding before my eyes".
I guess it was our "senior moment" for the day.
God help us if we develope alsheimers (sp); heven knows where we will wind up on the water. I guess we will have to buy bigger boats with bigger gas tanks so we can find our way back to the ramp.
5th (Marty)

Ever seen the movie " Dumb and dumber?" Tell Lou I said hellosp.......Gary