Partner Sites:  www.BOEmarine.com | www.ClubSeaRay.com | www.BandofBoaters.com

Go Back   CBAngler.com - Chesapeake Bay Angler - The Ultimate Fisherman's Resource > CBAngler Forums > General Discussion

Old 08-23-2010, 07:50 AM

Default Fishing Report 8/20 & 8/22

On Friday afternoon we ran over to the Eastern side near Bloody Point and set up a 4 line spread for Rock / Blues. Line 1 - #1 planer Red Tube at 120'. Line 2 #2 planer #15 Gold Tony at 40'. Line 3 #2 Planer Green Tube at 60' Line #4 #1 Planer #15 Silver Tony at 150'.

We started trolling in 20' and zig zagging to 30' and started hitting fish immediately. 1 hour into the run we had a 19" Rock(also lost one) and 4 decent blues. Then I noticed a large group of breaking birds (looked like hundreds) close to shore. I bit my lip trying to decide to reel up the spread and run to them and start casting. The guy I had fishing with me is unexperienced and I didn't think he could have done any good with the birds. I tried to teach him how to cast at the dock before we left only to frustrate him... he just didn't pick it up. Within 10-15 minutes there must have been 20 - 25 boats(charters & recs) working the birds. I was still questioning my decision to stay on the 20' - 30' shelf and then the FF lit up solid red! I yelled at my buddy "Holy S*&%" look at that! No sooner than the words came out of my mouth all 4 rod go down. I ran figure 8's over the pile of fish watching the other guys working the birds for about an hour. The charter guys must have been watching me because as soon as the the birds left they all were heading straight for me. They showed up and the fish scattered.

I ended up bringing home 3 Rocks 19", 24", and 28". 12 Blues 16" - 20". We lost count on the throw backs and lost fish. The bay was smooth and the sunset was one of the nicest of the year. Days like Friday are the reason you keep coming back.

Sunday 8/22 is a whole different story!

I couldn't find anyone to go so I headed out by myself at 5:30am to be at the spot where I left them Friday. The bay was the roughest that I have ever seen it in 15 years that I have fished it. I was going over waves that seemed to be 6'-8'. I figured the way the wind was blowing that the eastern shore would protect me... NOT! On the run over at one time I had 6" of water on the deck of the boat which was not fun. I trolled with a few charter guys untill 9:30 with only one knockdown. I gave up on trolling and ran back across the bay to Tolly Point area and set up a drift with bloodworms and shrimp. I ended up catching 12 croaker 13"- 16" and keeping 6 larger ones for dinner. No sooner than I get into Spa Creek at 12:30 the sun comes out the wind dies down... "Karma" I guess.
Old 08-25-2010, 01:26 PM

Congratulations on the catching! I would have been so tempted to pull the lines and jig, but I've also hit a big bait ball while trolling and had multiple lines go down. Thanks for posting.

Don