Partner Sites:  www.BOEmarine.com | www.ClubSeaRay.com | www.BandofBoaters.com

Go Back   CBAngler.com - Chesapeake Bay Angler - The Ultimate Fisherman's Resource > CBAngler Forums > Fishing Reports

Old 01-18-2012, 11:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5th Tuition View Post
Bend-Lure; thanks for the post. Keep them coming.

I'd hate to get to the point where our fishing posts are reduced to: "Caught some fish today, someplace on the bay, with some type of lure."

5th (Marty)
marty - "Caught" implies that you have harmed a fish. You should really say that you "Affirmatively confirmed the presence of fish today..."

www.DCMSSA.org
Twitter: @DCMSSA
www.facebook.com/DCMSSA

23' SeaCraft, Twin E-Tec 150s
Old 01-18-2012, 01:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bend-Lure View Post
marty - "Caught" implies that you have harmed a fish. You should really say that you "Affirmatively confirmed the presence of fish today..."
Herein lies the problem. Too often, I "affirmatively confirm the presence of fish" with my HDS 7 structure scan without catching them.

In all seriousness, I see the CBA board as an "alternative" to Tidal Fish. I hope some of the "problems" associated with TF posts don't creep into this forum. CBA is a "fishing" board and therefore a "catching" board as well. We all see things from time to time that make us cringe just a little. It may be the way a fish is held while being photographed, or in this case, someone was concerned about the number of fish caught.
This thread contains two fishing accounts about people I know. The first one is with Shawn Kimbro and Jamie. Shawn and Jamie both not only practice safe C/R but teach it to anyone on their boats. The second report includes Walleye Pete as guide and captain of the vessel. I've been on Pete's boat as a customer and know first hand that he values the resource and knows that practiceing safe C/R techniques are the future of his business. I believe every possible action was taken to preserve and protect the fishery during these two trips.
What concerns me is that Reds knows this as well. As a charter captain and frequent poster on both CBA and TF, Reds knows these anglers and their stance on C/R safe practices.
A fishing board with no fishing reports is a pathetic thing to see. Lets not chase away the very thing we come to this board to see; fishing reports and information about how and where the fish were caught.
Reds; if you sincerly have a concern about a post, perhaps a PM to the poster would be a better way to handle it. I know I have received PM's from you in the past, and we have handled the situation in a gentlemanly fashion.
Winter fishing reports are few and far between, lets hear some more reports.
5th (Marty)
Old 01-18-2012, 01:44 PM

Thumbs up

Damn, where's that thumbs up icon when I need it?

Let's see.....
Attached Images
File Type: gif icon14.gif (1,023 Bytes, 47 views)
Old 01-18-2012, 02:00 PM

Quote:
Herein lies the problem. Too often, I "affirmatively confirm the presence of fish" with my HDS 7 structure scan without catching them.

In all seriousness, I see the CBA board as an "alternative" to Tidal Fish. I hope some of the "problems" associated with TF posts don't creep into this forum. CBA is a "fishing" board and therefore a "catching" board as well. We all see things from time to time that make us cringe just a little. It may be the way a fish is held while being photographed, or in this case, someone was concerned about the number of fish caught.
This thread contains two fishing accounts about people I know. The first one is with Shawn Kimbro and Jamie. Shawn and Jamie both not only practice safe C/R but teach it to anyone on their boats. The second report includes Walleye Pete as guide and captain of the vessel. I've been on Pete's boat as a customer and know first hand that he values the resource and knows that practiceing safe C/R techniques are the future of his business. I believe every possible action was taken to preserve and protect the fishery during these two trips.
What concerns me is that Reds knows this as well. As a charter captain and frequent poster on both CBA and TF, Reds knows these anglers and their stance on C/R safe practices.
A fishing board with no fishing reports is a pathetic thing to see. Lets not chase away the very thing we come to this board to see; fishing reports and information about how and where the fish were caught.
Reds; if you sincerly have a concern about a post, perhaps a PM to the poster would be a better way to handle it. I know I have received PM's from you in the past, and we have handled the situation in a gentlemanly fashion.
Winter fishing reports are few and far between, lets hear some more reports.
5th (Marty)
Why is it people don't read?

I never suggested removing the post, all I posted was: Could the number be removed (200-250)?

The same type of post caused the alteration of Trolling before the Spring Trophy Season. That and a few stupid pictures.

When are you guys going to realize that there are people who don't want people in Maryland and Virginia catching any Striped Bass. They want us to raise them and that's it.

A person not familiar with the term "We tore Them Up...I guess 200-250" or who caught them, is not going to know whether good catch and release practices were done or not. Then they start thinking about how many were killed. Was it 200-250 or what?

BTW. I don't post on Toilet Flush, Haven't for 4 years.
Old 01-18-2012, 04:48 PM

"BTW I don't post on Toilet Flush"

I know, saw your post on THT. We are glad to have you over here on CBA. I know where you are coming from and I see your point. However, after being involved heavily in the PSCR debacle two years ago, I have come to the conclusion that we should post however we want and let the chips fall where they may.
There wasn't an intelegent person in the room that swallowed the lies and distorted facts presented. However, the fix was in. PSCR regulations went into effect and it has in essence killed the effort to C/R fish before the spring season begins. There were hardly any boats out trolling 6 lines last year. The tackle stores suffered, gas station owners suffered, and even the MCBA who was firmly behind the restrictions suffered. A wedge was driven between the recs and comms that is still evedent today.
Even Brandon has acknowledged that if he had it to do over again, he would have serious reservations about bringing the suggestion to a vote.
Too late, the damage has been done. Even TF suffered with the loss of fishing reports from experienced anglers. The TF forum has been relegated to rec vs comm in way to many threads.
I hope this doesn't happen here.
5th (Marty)
Old 01-18-2012, 05:08 PM

You guys are stuck getting reports from me, complete with just about every detail except the EXACT place I caught the fish. And when I'm alone on my boat catching fish, you might even get the exact spot if ya' ask nicely.

If I'm on someone else's boat....then I'll ask their permission before getting any more detailed than what they're comfortable with.

Good reports and good pictures promote the sport and get people excited to fish.
Old 01-19-2012, 09:32 AM

Quote:
"BTW I don't post on Toilet Flush"

I know, saw your post on THT. We are glad to have you over here on CBA. I know where you are coming from and I see your point. However, after being involved heavily in the PSCR debacle two years ago, I have come to the conclusion that we should post however we want and let the chips fall where they may.
There wasn't an intelegent person in the room that swallowed the lies and distorted facts presented. However, the fix was in. PSCR regulations went into effect and it has in essence killed the effort to C/R fish before the spring season begins. There were hardly any boats out trolling 6 lines last year. The tackle stores suffered, gas station owners suffered, and even the MCBA who was firmly behind the restrictions suffered. A wedge was driven between the recs and comms that is still evedent today.
Even Brandon has acknowledged that if he had it to do over again, he would have serious reservations about bringing the suggestion to a vote.
Too late, the damage has been done. Even TF suffered with the loss of fishing reports from experienced anglers. The TF forum has been relegated to rec vs comm in way to many threads.
5th (Marty)
Quote:
It will happen here if the same greedy people post the BS here as over there.

Quote:
Brandi is opportunistic, he talks out of both sides of his mouth, depending on what will benefit him at the time.

Quote:
I'm surprised you call the Charter People commercial, I thought you would know better.
All the regs governing the catching of finfish on a charter boat in Maryland, are recreational quotas.
The total quotas caught for a year are listed under recreational. The feds list Charter People as recreational in quotas they control.
Until 15 years ago nobody and I mean nobody trolled more then 6 rods. Planer Board changed that. When you brag about a hookup on a internet board be prepared to suffer the results.
The last Sunday before the Spring Season came in, I counted 65 boats trolling off of Bloody Point.
I saw the pictures posted on the fishing boards up north, and the outcry of postings, that's what forced DNR to change the regs.

Quote:
However, after being involved heavily in the PSCR debacle two years ago, I have come to the conclusion that we should post however we want and let the chips fall where they may.
I have attended TFAC and SFAC meetings for many years. I am an alternate to a TFAC member and will continue to attend those meetings. I probably won't attend to many SFAC meetings in the future because the members have gone off on a tangent and are more concerned with commercial fishing then recreational. I see that coming back to bite all of us in the a$$.
Whether you understand or not, the politics amongst the states involved with the Striped Bass is intense and has been for a lot of years. Letting the chips fall where the may, not only involves you but many other people. I guess I'm old faction, I believe in not screwing my neighbor with my actions.
Old 01-19-2012, 11:17 AM

Great seeing you guys and thanks for letting us follow you out of the inlet. Congrats on a good day. You must be a lot younger than me to make a suicide trip like that. Good fishing and good friends.

"Catch & Release - A picture is worth a thousand fish"
Old 01-20-2012, 06:46 AM

Wow! sounds like some excellent fishin. one of my new year's resolutions was to tune in/focus on what i like most. and just enjoy doing my own thing.

but hell. who doesn't like catchin lots of big fish? makes me want to do that. congrats!

Last edited by Southerly; 01-20-2012 at 06:49 AM.
Old 01-21-2012, 10:47 AM

Great report! Did you guys go out of Wachapreague? (Some of the backwater photos look familiar)