Partner Sites:  www.BOEmarine.com | www.ClubSeaRay.com | www.BandofBoaters.com

Go Back   CBAngler.com - Chesapeake Bay Angler - The Ultimate Fisherman's Resource > CBAngler Forums > Fishing Reports

Old 11-23-2012, 08:11 PM

Default Is this the end of 2012 Fishing ?

I have to say, I have been with some real pros recently, some folks that knew areas that produced like the back of thier hand, and done my best to mix things up....Multiple lures, singles, tandems, umbrellas, your boat, my boat, his boat, 6 feet to 100 feet, and the fish just are not biting...Talked to a number of people today and everyone said the same thing I have been hearing for about 10 or more days....They see some fish, not much bait, and the fish just are not biting....

Not sure what might get me back out this year, it really was a black friday for me....5 to 6 hours and "0" fish....The last few trips I am working on over 24+ hours and more than 100 miles and no fish...

I know this is not a report about catching, but like I said to Scott today, maybe I should just tell people to stay home, maybe I am wrong, but the bite sure does seem like it is way, way off...I love fishing in the winter when I am catching something (well anything besides a cold) but trip after trip with no fish and only a cold to show for it.....

Hoping that someone out there has had better luck than me...Maybe we can live through your stories for the next 2 to 3 months...Looks like my reports are going to be on hold for a while....
Old 11-23-2012, 08:26 PM

I feel your pain! I'm getting a little frustrated myself. Sounds like the bite off Point No Point was pretty good today, maybe they'll be up here soon....Hopefully....PLEEEEEASE..... Being a glutton for punishment, I'll probably be back out trying them again on Sunday.
Old 11-23-2012, 09:25 PM

Best fishing is still to come - IMHO.

Heard it was decent fishing near PLO today for some.

Md season is open until 15th of December. Many years it got good Nov. 30th and that was when season closed in Md.

Give it 1-2 weeks - bet it is better , sure can not get worse.

I'm hoping early January has nice weather - often great C/R near PLO area.
Old 11-23-2012, 09:38 PM

Heard reports of nice fish off of PLO today...and a few good ones here and there early this week...

PLO is about is around a 100 miles give or take from Pasadena where I keep my boat in a slip...If the stripers cover about 10 miles a day I could expect a stray one to be up near the bridge by 12/1...But that is no where near close to the optimal place to catch very large winter fish....

With that said, I doubt I am going to be putting many more on my boat this year...Sad to say...

I do look forward to fishing with some of my crazy friends who are more than happy to trailer "way" down south to get some of the biggest fish...Have to thank Marty, Don, and Greg for some of the biggest stripers I have ever caught (in Maryland at least)....Hopefully one of them will have an opening for not the smartest guy in the world, but someone who will work hard, provide the laughs, drink with the best of them, and make a bad day good...

Old 11-24-2012, 12:21 PM

Certainly was a tough day again yesterday.

But Skip is right....as long as you don't mind burning some fuel, it can't get much worse.

Unless you're out near the bridge today....there are some nasty gusts blowing through.
Old 11-25-2012, 02:26 PM

Mike...I believe some fish and bait are finding their way into the bay thru the DE canal bur not many as of late. Some guys are catching up north but the better bite is definetely off PLO and has been for a week or more. For some reason that bait off PLO has barely moved northward. Fished between Cove Pt and the HI on friday and saw very little bait. Biggest concern was total lack of birds. What we saw were gannets flying south and most were in flocks/ formation of 6 or more. My take for now is either go out of PLO/Buzzs or work the BB area down thru BP/TPL. I agree with Skip another week should have the fish better distributed throughout the bay. I am not use to skunks when targeting big fish this time of year but I probably hit it too hard too early and picked wrong areas. I am not discouraged and will keep going until the fishing becomes catching. You and Scott are on my list for sure.
Old 11-25-2012, 08:18 PM

" I do look forward to fishing with some of my crazy friends who are more than happy to trailer "way" down south to get some of the biggest fish "

Crazy ? Who are hell are you calling crazy ? You would not know crazy if Charles Mason was eating fruit loops on your front porch. Around 2:05 in the video.

http://youtu.be/nxcJW6bs5os

Won't be long before those long trailer hauls start.

Last edited by Skip; 11-25-2012 at 08:22 PM.
Old 11-25-2012, 09:26 PM

Skip,

To stick with a theme....

I'm not crazy - Institutionalized
Your the one who's crazy - Institutionalized
Your driving me crazy - Institutionalized
Stuck me in an institution,
Said it was the only solution,
to give me the needed professional help,
to protect me from the enemy - Myself

I'll probably just catch fish anyways....

Was out with Grag and Scott in January this year and caught some really nice fish...Was a ton of fun....Hoping that I get a chance to put a 50 on a boat this year...

Guess the way I look at it is this...A normal day I wake up around 8:30 or so...Heading to PLO and getting there by sunrise has me waking up at around 2:00 AM...For me thats crazy...Considering I can't fall asleep on a normal day until 1:30 or so....

Anyway, hopefully we will all get a chance to get out there and get some nice fish over the next 8 weeks or so to finish out what has been a great, great year so far....Pause for Xmas week and get 2013 started off like this year....Before we know it, it will be spring again...Best time of the year....

Old 11-26-2012, 08:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skip View Post
" I do look forward to fishing with some of my crazy friends who are more than happy to trailer "way" down south to get some of the biggest fish "

Crazy ? Who are hell are you calling crazy ? You would not know crazy if Charles Mason was eating fruit loops on your front porch. Around 2:05 in the video.

http://youtu.be/nxcJW6bs5os

Won't be long before those long trailer hauls start.

Funny....I saw ST back around 1987 in DC at WUST Hall....which is now the "new" 9:30 Club. A band called "Black Market Baby" opened up for them. Turns out they were a local DC area band and the bass player worked with my dad at Litton (Now part of Northrop Grumman.)
Old 11-27-2012, 01:46 AM

Full moon this week. Bass travel a long way under the light of the moon. My dad says DE Bay bite is HOT right now from reports he is getting. I am hoping a slug if big fish comes in for the final week or two of the season but the seemingly less bait this year and rapidly dropping temps may prevent that from happening. We will see. If not, I may have to make a few trips to PLO and over the VA line this year. Heck OCMD may call too (almost same distance as PLO for me)