Partner Sites:  www.BOEmarine.com | www.ClubSeaRay.com | www.BandofBoaters.com

Go Back   CBAngler.com - Chesapeake Bay Angler - The Ultimate Fisherman's Resource > CBAngler Forums > Fishing Reports

Old 09-21-2011, 05:22 PM

Default water conditions Wed 9/21

We took a long ride by car today to check out water conditions. Going over the bay bridge, we saw significant debris near the shoreline. Once 1/2 mile out, the water was still muddy but nearly absent of debris. Not a single boat was fishing the pilings. I half expected to see Don (Hunter), Mark (Mlag), or Skip (27 Sailfish) anchored and livelinning.

Our first stop was Metapeake. The ramp is open and the water was murky and it appeared the closer you get to the channel, the muddier it got.

Second stop was Romankoke fishing pier in Eastern Bay. I was pleasently surprised to see fishable water. It didn't look bad at all. Now it might be that I'm so used to seeing mud, that the the cleaner water looked so good.

Our next stop was Oxford where we were looking forward to lunch. I went to Skippers and they were closed. So our next stop was the Pier Resturant. They were closed too The Tred Avon looked very good as far as water quality.

So off to St Michaels we went. Wanted to eat at the Crab and Steak resturant ----closed. Holy crap, glad I'm not diabetic. As we walked the pier, I heard laughter and talking. Around the corner from us was the Town Resturant and people were out on the deck eating.

After a great burger and a few cold ones, we headed back across the bay to the Western Shore. Again the bay debris was near shore and mud in the channel.

So what does this mean, I think if you can get to Eastern Bay, or inside the Choptank, we can begin fishing. The bay willl be muddy for a while longer, but most debris is piling up on or near the shoreline.

Be carefull, the debris is waterlogged by now, and it sits lower in the water. I would still take it easy in the main stem of the bay, but more and more fishable water is showing up.

5th (Marty)

Last edited by 5th Tuition; 09-21-2011 at 05:25 PM.
Old 09-21-2011, 05:50 PM

I've been swapped at work - itching to get out later part of next week. Likely trailer south.

Heard second hand - still a lot of big stuff off South / West rivers. Some open areas but still too much junk to even think to troll.

I think it will be another few weeks until this mess clears near the bridge.

Thanks for report .
Old 09-21-2011, 09:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skip View Post
I've been swapped at work - itching to get out later part of next week. Likely trailer south.

Heard second hand - still a lot of big stuff off South / West rivers. Some open areas but still too much junk to even think to troll.

I think it will be another few weeks until this mess clears near the bridge.

Thanks for report .
There is still tons of debris from the Bridge to Poplar, across the channel, in all depths, in all sizes, but better than it has been...but there are also PLENTY of fish near the bridge to be found...we were the only boat at the bridge until 10 am this morning and only saw 2 between there and Poplar all day...be careful
Old 09-22-2011, 03:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark View Post
There is still tons of debris from the Bridge to Poplar, across the channel, in all depths, in all sizes, but better than it has been...but there are also PLENTY of fish near the bridge to be found...we were the only boat at the bridge until 10 am this morning and only saw 2 between there and Poplar all day...be careful
Eastern Bay has a lot of debris, Some just below the surface.
Old 09-22-2011, 01:00 PM

Water on Western side of the Bay from 7' Knoll to Baltimore light was a heck of a lot better in the main stem....

There were little to no debris, on the surface, at all, near the channel edges and/or within a mile or more of either side...Most of the debris we saw was bunch up on ledges or in shallow areas.

The size of the debris is also declining...There were a few larger objects out there, however, most of the wood/branches were well under 2 to 3 foot....

The water seems to be clearing up, although it still retains its ugly color...seems like the turbid conditions are starting to settle on the bottom, still keeping overall vision into the depth low.

Have not had much luck with perch or stripers the two times I was out this week...One nice stiper on Tuesday, however, the Channel Cats have been out in full force and are a heck of a lot of fun to catch up light tackle...

I expect another couple of days of good tide and wind and most of the debris in my area will be out of the way...Water clarity will be a least a few more weeks...Still catching though....

If any of you make it out, keep us up to date on what you see, be safe, and catch lots !
Old 09-22-2011, 06:41 PM

I looked at weather.com and they say we are in for another 2-4 inched of rain from Friday-Sunday. They also show Penn. getting more rain than us (4 inches plus). I hope this turns out to be wrong.
5th
Old 09-22-2011, 07:36 PM

Saw on news - flood warning posted for much of western shore on Friday afternoon.

Not what we need.
Old 09-22-2011, 08:18 PM

yeah, looks like the next 7 days are going to be full of some kind rain...tomorrow is supposed to be pretty bad here...rain is forecast all along the susq. Corridor next week...we need to hope it is not as heavy as they expect and that the damn is able to handle it without too much spilling over.

The wind could help push the last of debris away....

At least the o2 levels are increasing all along the bay....
Old 09-23-2011, 09:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by garlien View Post
At least the o2 levels are increasing all along the bay....
"To create, you must destroy"

Now someone tell the damned fish to come back.

The only fish in large numbers now are catfish. They're EVERYWHERE and they're biting EVERYTHING!!