Partner Sites:  www.BOEmarine.com | www.ClubSeaRay.com | www.BandofBoaters.com

Go Back   CBAngler.com - Chesapeake Bay Angler - The Ultimate Fisherman's Resource > CBAngler Forums > Fishing Reports

Old 03-20-2012, 02:18 PM

Default C/R off Mattapeake 3/19 w pics

The best laid plans some times get screwed up. The job I was to finish on Sunday had a leak ( I insulate the piping ) so I had to go in this morning after the new gasket was installed.

Bad news - this made it tough to go to Breezy , good news - I had enough time to try from Sandy Point.

Hooked up the trailer at 9:30 after quick check of weather and TF reports. Our Lab " Ruckus " gave me a pleading look so he made my crew.

Got to Sandy Point at 10:00 - about 4 other trailers there. Launched and headed out - swinging wide to the north to avoid the bridge painter's barge and anchor buoys.

Ran towards Mattapeake and put the spread over. Current was out going and water was stained. Not dirty - just not clear like off CP marker the other day. Hard to believe it's March - calm water and warm sun. Ruckus manned the cockpit and eyed up Gannets with bad intentions.

I was surprised to see so many Gannets around and trolled south towards them. Saw scattered bait on the meter - best on western edge. Zig zagged south with last of out going. Got a hit off the board - tandem 6 / 2 back 80 feet. Fish hit the Spankin' Striper John Deere. Looked about 34 inches.

I combed lure back out and put the line 200 feet back off the boat - rather then off the board. Bay was getting calmer as current was fading to slack.

Now idea why but often just as slack occurs - big fish hit. Sure enough - the lone boat rod got crushed. Drag went ZZZ - then ZZZZZ. Trust me - my drags are taut - it takes serious weight to rip like that. Rod was bowed over - then sprung back up in an odd way. Reeled in and had a bad feeling what I would find. Thought for sure the leader broke but saw both lures. No way that fish got loose - until I saw the smaller lure. Used to have a hook - oh well.

I'm guessing the stinger hook that was on there in fall wore a bad spot. Put on a new one after crushing barb down. Ships anchored off Severn were facing east / west as current slowly started in. Worked east / west with turns to north.

Had another hit off the board - nice mid 30 that hit a brand new lure I bought from Tyler's at Essex show. Capt. Wayne Morgan swore it would catch - he was 100% right. It's the upper lure.

Blue / white 3 oz spear point with blue / white shad. Looks sweet in the water. It was back 70 feet off board. Ruckus peered over the side as I unhooked the fish - I worried he might go swimming after it. Not sure he likes seeing them released - he's more into eating then sport .

Current was really carrying us north and saw more Gannets off Mattapeake. Board rod got hit hard and finished the day with a nice 43 / 44 incher. Tough to get exact measurement with a dog trying to help.

Let the big girl go - she threw a gallon of water over me with her tail slap. Swear they do that on purpose. Most times I cuss because it's cold but today it felt good. Racked up the rods and ran back to ramp at 3:30 to beat traffic. Ruckus just had to get wet at the ramp - luckily truck had a towel over the seat.

Fun day close to home - no complaints from my crew - he fell asleep half way home.
Old 03-21-2012, 02:01 PM

Skip,
As someone who hasn't gotten out even once this year, your detailed report and pictures are much appreciated. Thanks for the fix!

-TH
Old 03-21-2012, 07:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thill View Post
Skip,
As someone who hasn't gotten out even once this year, your detailed report and pictures are much appreciated. Thanks for the fix!

-TH
Ditto. I always appreciate the details.

And that's a fine looking lure you got from Tyler's.

Looks like we'll have a few more 75+ degree days coming up. Won't be long before someone has a great day at the bridge.