Partner Sites:  www.BOEmarine.com | www.ClubSeaRay.com | www.BandofBoaters.com

Go Back   CBAngler.com - Chesapeake Bay Angler - The Ultimate Fisherman's Resource > CBAngler Forums > Fishing Reports

Old 04-01-2012, 07:03 PM

Default Swan Pt 4/1/2012

Did a quick shake down cruise today and hit Swan PT. Left the peir about 1 and pulled our lines out of the water about 4:30.

We had a 6 rod spread out, 3 on the board, two high off the boat and I did my experiments with the new to me down-rigger set about 25 feet deep.

Water was probably the cleanest I have seen it this time of the year in I can't count how long. Thought that would have been the trick to catch some fish and had 0 fish to show for our efforts. We were fishing at the change of tides, so thats my excuse and I'm sticking to it. It is better to go fishing at bad times and do poorly than not go fishing at all.

On positive notes, the downrigger test went well, decided which side of the boat to run it on, the boat ran well, no one fell overboard, no one died, the boat did not sink and the 3 of us got some much needed R&R outside on a day that turned out much better than the weatherman was predictng.

Can't wait until Thursday when I can make longer trip, plan it around some moving water and hopefully some catching not just fishing like we did today.

Last edited by PhilK999; 04-02-2012 at 04:01 AM. Reason: can't spell and clarity
Old 04-01-2012, 08:37 PM

Phil; glad you got out and the boat ran well. Putting fish in the boat was a secondary task. You will get them next time.
5th (Marty)
Old 04-02-2012, 07:04 AM

Phil, where did you launch from? Or if you keep your boat in the water what area did you depart from?

Marty is right on.....this early in the game it's more about getting into the groove of things and having a good time. We've all had a few skunks already this year.
Old 04-02-2012, 08:34 AM

Spot77, my boat is kept in Back River on a lift at Riverside Marine in Essex. Swan was my closest point to drop in lines since I had very limited time.
Thinking of heading at least to the LP Bouy Thursday but may run below the bridge and troll down Kent Island
A lot of that desicion will be weather and wind driven.
Old 04-02-2012, 11:16 AM

Phil,

I would definitely consider running to below the bridge next time. There seems to be a reasonable amount of action there according to reports. Thanks for posting. You'll get 'em next time.

Don
Old 04-02-2012, 12:28 PM

Hey Phil; I was out there Sunday and trolled from Thomas Point to Love Point and only manage to get one in the boat.There was alot of talk on the radio of guys doing good up around Love point.I did mark bait in that area and seen another boat land a nice fish near the LP marker.So...If I was close I would give that area a look or run way south.Hope this helps.
Dan
Old 04-02-2012, 01:27 PM

Seems fish played an April Fool trick on you - you'll get them next trip.

FWIW: Seems to be scattered pockets of Rockfish - not really schools - just some in a general area. Troll over a pocket - you get 1-2 - then have to wait out another pocket of them.
Old 04-02-2012, 01:47 PM

Thanks for the info guys. I'll report Thursday if mother nature cooperates