Partner Sites:  www.BOEmarine.com | www.ClubSeaRay.com | www.BandofBoaters.com

Go Back   CBAngler.com - Chesapeake Bay Angler - The Ultimate Fisherman's Resource > CBAngler Forums > General Discussion

Old 06-04-2010, 09:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by reds View Post
[/B]

It's amazing how memory recall is not accurate.
70+ percent are now killed by rec fishermen.
Reds, that is because of the value of the fish to our society both economically and socially. It should also be known that many states do not even all for a commercial harvest of the fish. ME, CT, NH, CT, NJ, PA, and SC all do not provide for the commercial harvest of the fish.

Just because recreational anglers take more fish, does not mean for good justification in expanding the coastal commercial quota. The ASMFC, NMFS, and NOAA are to MANAGE the fishery and our resources, not play moderator. Please give sound reasoning to why the coastal commercial harvest should be increased...

For those who want to see the Addendem. Visit http://www.asmfc.org/ and click on Breaking News. There is a link to it on that page

Last edited by B-Faithful; 06-04-2010 at 01:51 PM.
Old 06-04-2010, 12:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5th Tuition View Post
Reds; thanks for confirming why most rec's on both TF and CBangler no longer post detailed reports. Maybe the rec's should start asking for photo's of comm misbehavior. Perhaps under the freedom of information act; we can ask DNR for some of the photo's used to convict poachers and illegal netting. Thanks for the idea. I will challange MSSA, CCA, RFA, and others to collect these photo's and publish them in magazines and newspapers to try to sway public opinion.
5th (Marty)
That is a fine idea. I believe I will join you in that pursuit.
Old 06-05-2010, 01:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5th Tuition View Post
Reds; thanks for confirming why most rec's on both TF and CBangler no longer post detailed reports. Maybe the rec's should start asking for photo's of comm misbehavior. Perhaps under the freedom of information act; we can ask DNR for some of the photo's used to convict poachers and illegal netting. Thanks for the idea. I will challange MSSA, CCA, RFA, and others to collect these photo's and publish them in magazines and newspapers to try to sway public opinion.
5th (Marty)
To my knowledge (I go back before World Wide Angler) I never saw a picture posted on Tidal Fish, World Wide Angler and or the Chesapeake whatever it was called, of bleeding fish caught, when it was supposed to be just catch and release. Even the big ego's of that time were smart enough not to post such pictures.

As far as DNR and the FOI act. Take your best shot, I could care less.

Maybe you can ask the Coast Guard to release photos and info on the citations issued this winter for the recs caught fishing over the 3 mile line. 300,000 to 800,000 big fish are caught and kept in that fishery every winter.

Last edited by reds; 06-05-2010 at 01:20 PM.
Old 06-05-2010, 06:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by reds View Post
Maybe you can ask the Coast Guard to release photos and info on the citations issued this winter for the recs caught fishing over the 3 mile line. 300,000 to 800,000 big fish are caught and kept in that fishery every winter.
Coast Guard and other officials basically turn their back on the fishery because it books hotels, fills restaurants, packs charterboats, keeps marinas busy, causes tons of fuel to be purchased, etc. in areas that where near ghost towns not to long ago. The economic impact of striped bass is far greater as a sport fish and now they talk about increasing the coastal commercial quota, potentially at the expense of the recreational fishery. That is foolishness and poor management... (not that I am saying the illegal eez fishing is ok, just pointing out facts)

Besides, I would think that Chesapeake Bay watermen would be against the increased coastal commercial quota. All it stands to do is drive down the value of the fish by potentially putting more on the market and giving them more competition.

Last edited by B-Faithful; 06-05-2010 at 06:52 PM.
Old 06-05-2010, 06:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by B-Faithful View Post
Coast Guard and other officials basically turn their back on the fishery because it books hotels, fills restaurants, packs charterboats, keeps marinas busy, causes tons of fuel to be purchased, etc. in areas that where near ghost towns not to long ago. The economic impact of striped bass is far greater as a sport fish and now they talk about increasing the coastal commercial quota, potentially at the expense of the recreational fishery. That is foolishness and poor management...

Besides, I would think that Chesapeake Bay watermen would be against the increased coastal commercial quota. All it stands to do is drive down the value of the fish by potentially putting more on the market and giving them more competition.
So basically you're saying that you think it's ok for recreational fishermen to break the law and you applaud the authorities for not issuing more citations?
What a CROCK. You need to grow up. You're entitled to your misguided opinion about sportfish, gamefish, etc., but breaking the law is breaking the law, doesn't matter which segment is being illegal (commercial or recreational) they should all be prosecuted.
Old 06-05-2010, 07:22 PM

I didnt say it was ok to break the law. note the edit I made before you posted in order to make my points clear. I was noting that there is an increase in demand for the fish recreationally and the authorities recognize it and the economic impact or they wouldnt let it go on like they do.

I do think they would be better off opening the EEZ and managing the fishery through creel limits or size limits. My bet is if they opened the EEZ and adjusted the creel or size that more of the the fish harvested would be better accounted for and the economic and social benefits would realized. I also think it would work for easier and more cost effective enforcement too as the creels and size limits could be checked at access points instead of attempting to cover a lot of open ocean.

The EEZ talk is irrelevant to this discussion as there is no good justification for increasing the commercial coastal quota, especially at the expense of recreational access and opportunity... If there is, state it and show us where I am misguided.

Last edited by B-Faithful; 06-05-2010 at 08:22 PM.
Old 06-05-2010, 07:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikie View Post
So basically you're saying that you think it's ok for recreational fishermen to break the law and you applaud the authorities for not issuing more citations?
What a CROCK. You need to grow up. You're entitled to your misguided opinion about sportfish, gamefish, etc., but breaking the law is breaking the law, doesn't matter which segment is being illegal (commercial or recreational) they should all be prosecuted.
NO where did he say that it's OK to break the law OR applaud authorities for not issuing citations. He was just summarizing the reasoning behind what is going on. Don't read between the lines ....read what is written..............Gary
Old 06-05-2010, 07:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crabby and son View Post
NO where did he say that it's OK to break the law OR applaud authorities for not issuing citations. He was just summarizing the reasoning behind what is going on. Don't read between the lines ....read what is written..............Gary
Exactly!
Old 06-16-2010, 01:55 PM

Update.. Coastal meeting tomorrow for those of you that can make it.

Maryland Saltwater Sportfishermen's Association
"Preserving and Protecting the Rights, Traditions, and Future of Recreational Fishing"

Public Comment
Maryland Dept. of Natural Resources
June 17, 2010; 7:00 PM
Ocean Pines Library
11107 Cathell Road
Berlin, Maryland

Draft Addendum II to Amendment 6 to the Interstate Fishery Management Plan for Atlantic Striped Bass.

The intended purpose of the draft addendum is specifically to consider options to increase the coastal commercial quota of striped bass and revise the definition of striped bass recruitment failure.

Recreational anglers OPPOSE this draft addendum and insist on Option I: Status Quo; AND; that Maryland does not implement an equivilant reduction in recreational fishery to offset the increase in commercial quota.

The MSSA voted unanimously to oppose this draft addendum for numerous reason: out-of-control poaching of rockfish in the EEZ both in Virginia and North Carolina, poor management plan based on equity, and more importantly the greater value rockfish has to our state, and others, as a recreational or sport fish rather than a commercial fish.

Mail to:
Nichola Meserve, FMP Coordinator
1444 Eye Street, NW, Sixth Floor
Washington, DC 20005

Fax to:202-289-6051

Email to: nmeserve@asmfc.org (Subject line: Striped Bass Addendum II).

Additional Public Comment Locations:
Please note the second meeting in Maryland on July 19 at the DNR building in Annapolis

Delaware Dept. of Natural Resources and Environmental Control
June 16, 2010; 7:30 PM
Richardson and Robbins Building Auditorium
89 Kings Highway
Dover, Delaware

Maryland Dept. of Natural Resources
June 17, 2010; 7:00 PM
Ocean Pines Library
11107 Cathell Road
Berlin, Maryland

Virginia Marine Resources Commission
June 28, 2010; 6:00 PM