Partner Sites:  www.BOEmarine.com | www.ClubSeaRay.com | www.BandofBoaters.com

Go Back   CBAngler.com - Chesapeake Bay Angler - The Ultimate Fisherman's Resource > CBAngler Forums > Fishing Reports

Old 04-04-2012, 08:40 PM

Default Ocean City Surf Fishing

I really have to figure out how to post photo's from my phone. Scott will post a couple pic's I sent him from O.C.

Well; I talked to a couple fishermen at the jetty, the 4th St bayside fishing pier, and to surf fishermen on the beach. Nobody was catching.

The wife and I made the trip to Assateague and stopped for some bottom rigs, sinkers, hooks, and fishbites baits. The day was supposed to be mainly a day on the beach, reading, watching people, and enjoying the sound of the waves. Fishing was secondary.

Once I arrived at the beach, I rigged up, took off my shoes & socks, and ran to the waters edge to cast an 8ft rod with 3 oz sinker. Needed to get out a little further. Rolled my pants leg up to my shin and got into the water a little further to cast. Still needed to get out a LITTLE further. Rolled the pants up to the knee and went further out to cast. Damn the water was cold, but I was determined to hit that sweet spot just past the breakers. The wife was laughing at me as I timed the egress of the wave. I would run down as far as possible, cast, and backpeddle quickly as the next wave came in. Damn, still need just a little more distance. Screw it; pants got soaked, and I got the extra distance I needed.

After you were in the water a while, you couldn't feel the cold.

Nobody was catching. However, coming down the beach was a pod of porpoise. Looked like about 5 or six. They would breach, and come up about 50 ft down the beach.

I must have timed it perfectly. The cast fell right in front of the pod and I hooked up a nice 40-50 pounder. The drag sang so sweetly. I expected a jump or two, but the porpoise stayed deep. There was a lot of line on the big reel, but I couldn't turn him. I tried running down the beach to keep from using all the line, but eventually, it popped when all the line was gone.

It's probably best I lost him. If I posted photo's of a bloody porpise, someone would claim I was holding it wrong, not supporting it's weight, didn't release him correctly, or something.

I know the Japanese catch them in nets while tuna fishing and I think they grind them up with the tuna and can the meat. I don't know what the steaks taste like.

I didn't have a cooler large enough anyway.

Well, we head home tomorrow. Had some swordfish steaks for dinner, delicious.

5th (Marty)
Old 04-04-2012, 10:33 PM

I would have sworn you would have been using your new Steve F rod for that surf fishing trip.
Old 04-05-2012, 10:11 AM

Damn and I woke up this morning hoping to see some bloody porpoise...Of course I was not hoping to see an image of Marty's pants half down/half up or whatever....

Old 04-05-2012, 11:29 AM

It may be a little early, the split tails should be showing up in good numbers.

PSG

iiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii iiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii iiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii
Contrary to rumors you have heard: I Fish A Lot. I Don’t Catch A Lot
Old 04-05-2012, 11:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish Nut View Post
It may be a little early, the split tails should be showing up in good numbers.

Where's that "Laughing My Ass Off" icon when you need it.

Marty, I know all about the "Just need a little more distance" thing. The only times I've ever been surf fishing have been in late Nov or early Dec. The first year we wore shorts and waded in and far as we could. Caught TONS of big Blues, Skates and a couple of small sharks. Of course our legs were so numb it was hard to walk back to the hotel.

The second year I took my neoprene waders, which are so warm I could barely tell I was in the water.

So here's our boy Marty, pondering life, and missing the "one that got away."

"Damn my feet are cold!"

Attached Images
File Type: jpg Marty and his big rod 4-2012.jpg (11.1 KB, 22 views)
File Type: jpg marty in surf 4-2012.jpg (90.6 KB, 23 views)
Old 04-05-2012, 06:45 PM

Marty, How do you post pics, all of my pics I post this web site says there to big.
Old 04-05-2012, 07:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lola Marlene View Post
Marty, How do you post pics, all of my pics I post this web site says there to big.
Marty dosen't post them...I do it for him.

One easy way to make your pictures smaller with software that most people already have, is to open your picture with your "Paint" program, select Image at the top menu, then "stretch/skew." From there, change the "stretch from 100% vertical and 100% horizontal down to about 70% each and then save the picture again. That usually gets the pic small enough to post here. Sometimes you might have to go lower % depending on the quality and file aize of the picture.

There are tons of other ways to do it, but that's the easiest for me to explain.