Partner Sites:  www.BOEmarine.com | www.ClubSeaRay.com | www.BandofBoaters.com

Go Back   CBAngler.com - Chesapeake Bay Angler - The Ultimate Fisherman's Resource > CBAngler Forums > Fishing Reports

Old 04-19-2012, 08:30 PM

Default 4/19 Report

I received an invitation to fish with Mark (Mlag) on his new 27 Chesapeake today with Jim (Owner of Marty's Bait and Tackle in Edgewater). Without a doubt, one of the nicest days on the water in a long time.
Calm winds, fish, and good company.

We are a bit confused, because a lot of the fish we have been catching lately have lots of sea lice, but they look like they have spawned out. Could it be possible that the lice are remaining on the fish because the water in the bay is so salty? We haven't had any rain to "fresh" it in some time. Are the lice still on post spawn fish?

I've never heard of this before, but the last few trips have me scratching my head and wondering if this is possible.

Any way, it appears we will have plenty of rain Sat. night and into Sunday. I hope it's not enough to affect the water clarity. This is the best I've seen in years.

Headed out tomorrow (friday) for a last minute scouting trip on Patent Pending. We have trips booked from opening day through May 5th. My posts will be few and far between because I will be spending some evenings on the boat (to reduce commuting time), and the other days, I will be getting my beauty sleep early.

I hope you enjoyed the C/R posts this season. Who knows what will work when we get a lot of boat traffic out there, but I know I will have at least one umbrella (or six pack) with no weight back 200 ft, and I know I will have one 6/2 tandem off the board back 5 bars.

They may not produce on opening weekend, but during the week when there is less boat traffic, they should remain hot.

If you fish the Chesapeake Beach area and see Patent Pending out there, give me a wave (please use all fingers).

Thanks again to Mark for taking me out on his sweet new ride.

This is what we have been waiting for; catch em up; be safe; have fun.
5th (Marty)
Old 04-20-2012, 11:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5th Tuition View Post
Could it be possible that the lice are remaining on the fish because the water in the bay is so salty?
Marty

The salinity at the buoy off of Annapolis is currently fluctuating between 10 and 11 PSU, which is a bit on the salty side for this part of the bay. By contract, during all that rain last summer, I saw figures around 2 to 4 PSU.

Thanks for the post and general intel! I'm looking forward to getting out next week myself... ...now if only that bloody wind will be kind to me!

Don
Old 04-23-2012, 10:53 AM

Marty, you know you can use that fancy iPhone to post fishing reports, right?

I've done it a few times, although I will admit that viewing that small screen can be annoying....especially when trying to type out a long post. But it's a way to pass the time while staying over on the boat.

My wife uses her iPhone as a 3G hotspot (Lord that sounds funny, doesn't it? ) and we connect to the internet on her laptop through the phone. It works very well in most places. Something to think about if you have a laptop.