Partner Sites:  www.BOEmarine.com | www.ClubSeaRay.com | www.BandofBoaters.com

Go Back   CBAngler.com - Chesapeake Bay Angler - The Ultimate Fisherman's Resource > CBAngler Forums > Fishing Reports

Old 12-03-2013, 06:59 PM

Default Success at PLO 12/3/13

With reports being less than desired in our portion of the bay (Deale-Rock Hall), I decided to try further south One good thing about being able to trailer my boat, is that I'm not limited to where we can run to fish. Even the reports coming out of Buzz's and PLO were not stellar.
I even considered running to OC Md because I heard the big slug of migratory fish were still on there way south from N.J.
I decided to run to PLO and fish for our resident fish, with the hope that a big one might be lurking nearby

Splashed the boat just before 7am and headed for the mouth of the Potomac. Started marking bait in 40 ft and dropped lines. Bait was looking good, although deep. Not as many fish marks around them, but stayed in the area. About 8:30am I found a big school of fish on the screen. Watch your rods, I yelled. One, two, three, four, five rods go down. All deep umbrellas with 6 inch baits. Some had two fish on each umbrella. Everything over 24 inches went in the box. We threw back several 22-23 inch fish
By the time I got all the tackle and fish untangled from the net, I made a turn to run through the school again. Couldn't find them. I made bigger and bigger circles around my waypoint, to no avail. CRAP.
Off we went searching again. All fish came off 6in baits. Had a slow pick at fish until 1pm. We put 12 in the boat and had two knockdowns. Kept our limit of 8 and headed to the barn. The boat was back on the trailer and headed home by 2:30pm.
I have several pics but only one available currently. All fish kept were from 23-27 inches. I had a good time pestering Mike (garlien) with text messages all day (he was supposed to go with us, but had to work)
Long day, but meat in the cooler. I wish PLO was closer.
5th (Marty)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (93.6 KB, 17 views)
Old 12-03-2013, 08:47 PM

Glad you had a good day Marty! Sounds like the same class of fish we have been jigging on for a few weeks now in the same area. It's a shame we aren't having a fall like last year, but good pullage for sure.

Last edited by Breakaway; 12-03-2013 at 09:16 PM.
Old 12-03-2013, 09:00 PM

Congrats!! Compared to other reports the past few weeks, you are my hero!!! I guess heading south paid off. I just booked a couple rooms and a slip at the Holiday Inn n Solomons for a Thurs-Sat trip. I hope we catch that many in 3 days of fishing!! And a little of today's weather would be nice too!!! Forecast- Rain and breeze with some cold temps to round it out ....YAY!!

PS- you don't need a trailer, just people who want to go bad enough to pick up the fuel bill! . I am hoping to keep the 3day total, running from Tolchester and back, to under 100 gallons. That plan includes a trip to PLO on Friday as well. I'll be sure to let you know how my math works out on that.

Old 12-03-2013, 09:49 PM

Thanks for the report Marty. Here is the picture that you texted to me today. Gotta get Lou & Alan to smile more

Old 12-03-2013, 09:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5th Tuition View Post
With reports being less than desired in our portion of the bay (Deale-Rock Hall), I decided to try further south One good thing about being able to trailer my boat, is that I'm not limited to where we can run to fish. Even the reports coming out of Buzz's and PLO were not stellar.
I even considered running to OC Md because I heard the big slug of migratory fish were still on there way south from N.J.
I decided to run to PLO and fish for our resident fish, with the hope that a big one might be lurking nearby

Splashed the boat just before 7am and headed for the mouth of the Potomac. Started marking bait in 40 ft and dropped lines. Bait was looking good, although deep. Not as many fish marks around them, but stayed in the area. About 8:30am I found a big school of fish on the screen. Watch your rods, I yelled. One, two, three, four, five rods go down. All deep umbrellas with 6 inch baits. Some had two fish on each umbrella. Everything over 24 inches went in the box. We threw back several 22-23 inch fish
By the time I got all the tackle and fish untangled from the net, I made a turn to run through the school again. Couldn't find them. I made bigger and bigger circles around my waypoint, to no avail. CRAP.
Off we went searching again. All fish came off 6in baits. Had a slow pick at fish until 1pm. We put 12 in the boat and had two knockdowns. Kept our limit of 8 and headed to the barn. The boat was back on the trailer and headed home by 2:30pm.
I have several pics but only one available currently. All fish kept were from 23-27 inches. I had a good time pestering Mike (garlien) with text messages all day (he was supposed to go with us, but had to work)
Long day, but meat in the cooler. I wish PLO was closer.
5th (Marty)
Marty,
I feel a lot better about working my real job today
Congrats on making a good choice.
Now if I could only afford a hydraulic trailer and a diesel truck to tow mine I would be there Friday
bhl (Bruce)
Old 12-03-2013, 09:54 PM

So here is a group photo of the motley crew I had today (Mark, Lou, Allan). Don posted that one already

The single photo is Lou with one of the three fish caught off the boards. Umbrellas off the boat were the hot ticket. Most boats today (charters as well) did not run boards.

5th (Marty)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (91.2 KB, 12 views)
Old 12-04-2013, 03:56 PM

Don - If you knew Alan better , you'd know he is smiling

Marty - Nice job getting covered up , been very slow for many.