Partner Sites:  www.BOEmarine.com | www.ClubSeaRay.com | www.BandofBoaters.com

Go Back   CBAngler.com - Chesapeake Bay Angler - The Ultimate Fisherman's Resource > CBAngler Forums > General Discussion

Old 03-22-2011, 08:49 AM

Default DNR Continuing to Monitor for Bay Impacts

Annapolis, Md. (March 21, 2011) — Early March runoff into the Susquehanna River watershed from heavy rains and snowmelt has brought a flood of nutrients and sediment-laden freshwater flowing into the Chesapeake Bay. This heavy spring runoff has resulted in record low water clarity for the month of March in many areas of Maryland’s portion of the Chesapeake Bay. Continued wet spring weather could extend these high flows that might result in less underwater grasses and an increase in algal blooms. The Maryland Department of Natural Resources (DNR) will continue its comprehensive Chesapeake Bay water quality habitat and living resources monitoring to assess any short- or long-term storm-related impacts.

On March 12, 2011, two days after a very heavy rain event (2+ inches) across the region, the U.S. Geological Survey (USGS) recorded a peak “flow” of 485,000 cubic feet/second (cfs) from the Susquehanna River at Conowingo Dam. Average monthly flows at that site in March are about 75,000 cfs. This is the highest average daily flow rate observed at the dam since floodwaters from Tropical Storm Ivan passed in September 2004 (496,000 cfs on September 19; 545,000 cfs on September 20.)

A review of 26 years of water clarity data collected by the State shows that depth measurements in the Chesapeake Bay and many tributaries in March 2011 are below historic measures or set new historic lows.

A high amount of freshwater flowing into the Chesapeake Bay erodes sediments and transports polluted runoff (including nutrients and sediments) downstream towards the Bay. Generally, short-term storms will have short-term impacts on the Bay, but, if wet weather continues, there could be long-term consequences for the Bay’s water quality, and its abundant plant and animal population, as well.

The late winter/early spring season is a critical period for many aquatic species such as the underwater grasses, which are beginning to grow and the many types of fish, which are beginning to spawn. Full storm impacts may not be known until mid-summer or later.

Even with the surges in precipitation, Maryland is committed to reducing polluted runoff in order to meet Chesapeake Bay water quality goals. In May 2009, along with Pennsylvania and Virginia, Maryland agreed to aggressive 2-year milestones for assuring accountability in limiting nutrients and sediments entering the Bay. This requires citizens, businesses, and local, state and federal governments to work together in efforts to reduce polluted runoff by planting cover crops to reduce runoff from farms, reducing runoff from urban areas, restoring natural filters and conserving high priority lands.

Full story is available at http://mddnr.chesapeakebay.net/eyeso...ng_stories.cfm
Old 03-24-2011, 04:49 PM

The silt build up behind the Conowingo dam is a ticking time bomb.

Twenty five years ago - water was close to 80 feet deep in some spots.

Now , it is about 50 feet deep. That is about 30 feet of sediment - just waiting for a huge storm to unleash it. A storm similar to hurricane Agnes could be a disaster for the bay.

Seems the muddy plume gets worse as years go by.
Used to stop near Love Point , then it was Bloody Point. This last plume extended below the Choptank.

Lots of run off and few filter feeders ( oysters , menhadden ) - bad combo in my eyes.
Old 03-24-2011, 05:30 PM

I say we support another "study".

What a bunch of incompetent a$$holes we have elected. How proud they must be to know they have turned the worlds largest most productive estuary into a $hithole.

I guess I wouldn't be very good at writing political news releases.

5th (Marty)
Old 03-24-2011, 06:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5th Tuition View Post

What a bunch of incompetent a$$holes we have elected. How proud they must be to know they have turned the worlds largest most productive estuary into a $hithole.

5th (Marty)
I have fished the bay for over 50 years and the early memories are nothing like what we have now. It's steadily gone down hill. SAD. I sort of wish I never saw it 50 years ago...........Gary
Old 03-24-2011, 06:36 PM

Quote:

5th (Marty)
Marty, tell us how you really feel !!!

We can sit here and reminisce for days.. I'm younger than you old farts ( Kirk call your office)but I actually remember Charter Boats as thick as flies on a cow pie, under the bridge, literally watching sterns hit transoms, transoms hitting sterns, starboard's hitting port side. Fishing in barrel.. No limits and people were keeping everything...

And now, well, you know the rest of the story.....
Old 03-25-2011, 06:57 AM

Quote:

5th (Marty)
Got to blame it on somebody.

Never mind the fact that there are 16.5 million people in this watershed. Up a million people from 2000.

Yeah it's the politician's fault.
Old 03-25-2011, 07:37 AM

Yeah lets first talk about the flush tax. A so called shovel ready program. that gets radied. Dilution is the solution.

PSG

iiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii iiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii iiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii
Contrary to rumors you have heard: I Fish A Lot. I Don’t Catch A Lot
Old 03-25-2011, 08:15 AM

I'm past trying to place blame and pointing fingers. That will do nothing to clean up the bay. I'm past arguing on the internet boards. I am into doing something positive to make a difference no matter how small. It starts with me. The urine jug goes home instead of overboard. If a certain species of fish is in decline, I will take less and fish for other species. I will attend meetings and find out what's going on first hand instead of reading the spin on here. I will find ways to make a difference. That's a good start and I'll go from there. At least I will be able to look my Son in the face and tell him I tried to give him a good place to fish.............Gary

Last edited by crabby and son; 03-25-2011 at 08:18 AM.
Old 03-25-2011, 09:52 AM

Gary;
You are a piss ant (get the pun) in the scheme of things. The bay is so far gone, that no individual or group of individuals is going to turn things around. Only the Government (and normally I hate government projects) has the resourses to address the problem.
I heard a story about the sediment buildup behind the Conawingo Dam being so bad that if they started to remove boxcars full of sediment, it would take years to get it back to when it was built.
Sewage pumping plants dump thousands of gallons of raw sewage into the bay after a big rain storm. How many pee buckets have to come off your boat to make up for the difference?
I understand your theory about each individual taking action to do no harm to the bay; but it will not be enough to make an impact.
I am normally a very opptomistic person, but in reference to the Bay, I am pesimistic about it's recovery unless SOMEONE takes charge. I say someone, because the government is too ambiguose of a term. Why don't you know, the bay is already clean; it was supposed to be cleaned up by 2010 according to the government. Of course the dates just keep getting pushed back further and further when the goal is not met.

When I decide to run for office, I better get at least 20,000 votes from CBA's and TF'ers.
Marty

p.s. and while I'm on my soapbox; Brian, if you are going to try to discredit the lady, please spell her name correctly. I am tired of seeing Pallin on all your posts.
Old 03-25-2011, 01:03 PM

Quote:
Gary;
You are a piss ant (get the pun) in the scheme of things. The bay is so far gone, that no individual or group of individuals is going to turn things around. Only the Government (and normally I hate government projects) has the resourses to address the problem.
I heard a story about the sediment buildup behind the Conawingo Dam being so bad that if they started to remove boxcars full of sediment, it would take years to get it back to when it was built.
Sewage pumping plants dump thousands of gallons of raw sewage into the bay after a big rain storm. How many pee buckets have to come off your boat to make up for the difference?
I understand your theory about each individual taking action to do no harm to the bay; but it will not be enough to make an impact.
I am normally a very opptomistic person, but in reference to the Bay, I am pesimistic about it's recovery unless SOMEONE takes charge. I say someone, because the government is too ambiguose of a term. Why don't you know, the bay is already clean; it was supposed to be cleaned up by 2010 according to the government. Of course the dates just keep getting pushed back further and further when the goal is not met.

When I decide to run for office, I better get at least 20,000 votes from CBA's and TF'ers.
Marty

p.s. and while I'm on my soapbox; Brian, if you are going to try to discredit the lady, please spell her name correctly. I am tired of seeing Pallin on all your posts.
Can't say I have any faith in politicians either. One area we do disagree is that every little bit helps. An honest effort by each and every person makes a difference, and we owe this effort to each other.