Partner Sites:  www.BOEmarine.com | www.ClubSeaRay.com | www.BandofBoaters.com

Go Back   CBAngler.com - Chesapeake Bay Angler - The Ultimate Fisherman's Resource > CBAngler Forums > General Discussion

Old 07-25-2010, 10:23 PM

Default 2 Boats Sunk, Retrieved, Floated, Towed Home and Running Again in Under 12 Hours.

After a nice long day out on the water with friends we all motored back to their place on the water for some bbq goodness. They have a nice 3 seater jetski and everybody was taking turns heading out on it. My wife took my son and a friend's son out. After about 45 minutes as dark is approaching my cell phone rang.

Unusual number.

Fast forward a little....She had flipped the ski, and of course didn't know how to right it. It sank in about 5 ft of water with just the nose sticking up. Some young bucks coming back from the hooha at Dobbins Island stopped to help; they dragged the boat to shallower water, took the kids aboard their boat and waited while a friend and I headed out to find them.

Yes, find them.

There's a great lesson to be learned here about knowing where you are and not just knowing "how to get back." Nobody could give me a good point of reference, my wife's directions to where she thought she was were oceans away from reality, and it was getting dark fast.

Anyway one of the lads figured out that they were near "blinking red #12."

"Aha! On my way!"

Got to that marker, and sure enough there's somebody anchored there. But it was another boat that had broken down. Boy were they disappointed when I told them I'd have to come back for them if time allowed. They said they had plenty of beer though, and weren't in any kind of distress.

Looked about 100 yards towards shore and found what we were looking for.

4 of us dragged the boat up into shallow water and onto a beach. I had a syphon on my boat so we started draining it and bailing with a small bucket.

Got her to float! One problem out of the way.

Towed it upriver at a snail's pace, pulling it with my little bass boat while being nearly creamed by the drunks flying back in from boobiefest at the island.

By this time it was 11:00pm. I was tired and it was DARK. I figured I's be safe and leave the boat there for the night.

Phone rang at 8:00am this morning.

"Your boat sank."

I leave that boat in the water for weeks at a time with no problems. I've certainly left it in worse water than a no wake zone in the upper Magothy.

We don't know what happened. There was no breach of the hull, all the plugs were in and intact....no problems with the intakes for the livewells.

Only thing we can think of is that it was tied it too loose at the pier and maybe it got pinched underneath at high tide...although the tide would've had to have been really high last night for this to happen.

Anyway, we got it pulled up onto some shallow rocks/beach as the tide was going out. Got just enough of the boat out of the water to pump her out. We used to high speed sump pumps and it took about 30 minutes to get her empty and afloat. Fuel tank was full of saltwater (Thankfully it was down to fumes in the tank anyway, that was another reason why I didn't bring it home last night), both batteries had been completely submerged as were the throttle, gauges and electronics. Thankfully the motor stayed above the water!

Anyway....believe it or not, after disconnecting the fuel line I tried the key and it turned over. We then hooked a 6 gallon portable tank to it with fresh gas and I tooke her all the way back to cape St Claire at idle. I can't believe the battery worked.

Motor, steering and trim all works fine. All the gauges are dead and I didn't even try the small vhf or fish/depthfinder.

I hosed the hell out of it with fresh water and sprayed 2 full cans of WD40 on everything metal for now. Still have to get the fuel tank emptied (I pumped the prime bulb and it's pure saltwater coming out.) I've been wanting a slightly larger fuel tank anyway, and pulling this one will be really easy....so maybe that's what I'll do. While it's out i"m going to replace the pumps and all the wiring from the batteries to the dashboard.

Wish me luck, and maybe I'll see you all on the water before it's too cold out.

And thanks to Matt at Cypress Marine for stopping help my wife and son and their friend. I'll be in touch soon.

(Oh yeah...the ski? Got her on the lift last night and completely drained, sprayed down with WD40. This morning we had a mechanic do some work on it...got it running as good as new within an hour or so. $150 on a Sunday. Sounds like a good deal to me.)
Old 07-25-2010, 10:43 PM

Alll I can say is....Wow...

Oh and call me next time will ya ?
Old 07-26-2010, 07:51 AM

I can't for the life of me figure out how you sink a Sea Doo..Glad it all ended well........Gary
Old 07-26-2010, 08:15 AM

That is pretty bad-ass to flip a three seater Sea-Doo. Kudos.

www.DCMSSA.org
Twitter: @DCMSSA
www.facebook.com/DCMSSA

23' SeaCraft, Twin E-Tec 150s
Old 07-26-2010, 08:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crabby and son View Post
I can't for the life of me figure out how you sink a Sea Doo..Glad it all ended well........Gary
Me either....but apparently it is possible.

You need to know my wife to understand how vehemently she enforces Murphy's Law.

"Anything that can go wrong, will."
Old 07-26-2010, 08:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bend-Lure View Post
That is pretty bad-ass to flip a three seater Sea-Doo. Kudos.
Yeah, my wife is one of a kind. See the above post.
Old 07-27-2010, 08:36 PM

Default Fuel System

So I'll keep the updates coming in case anyone is interested...maybe I'll inadvertently share some tidbit of knowledge that's useful to somebody.

Today I drained the fuel tank. It was WAY easier than I thought, aided by a siphon that I had purchased at Bass Pro last year for emergencies. Well it paid off big time. I used it to help drain the previously mentioned jet ski and get it afloat and now it made fast work out of draining 12 gallons of saltwater from my fuel tank.

It's the "self priming" kind that you shake a little to get it started. Very similar, if not exactly like the copper 3.5 gpm model here: http://www.simplesiphon.com/products/

There was about a half gallon left that I couldn't get with the siphon, so I simply used the prime bulb to shoot the remaining water into a gas can. It didn't even have a faint smell of gas to it.

Next step with the fuel system: Change the water separator filter and add a half gallon of fresh, heavily oiled gas to the tank and run that through the prime bulb again. That should clean out the remaining pint or so of water and lube the pickup tube pretty well. I'll burn that slightly watery gas through my weedwacker.

When the rest of the electrical items are taken care of, and I'm ready to get her in the water again, I'll refill the fuel tank completely with a little extra oil and some Startron to burn through. Again, the motor itself wasn't submerged so once the fuel tank, lines, and prime bulb are clean I should be ok there.

Any other suggestions on bringing the fuel system back up to speed?
Old 07-27-2010, 10:21 PM

I for one want to see pictures of you when you..."Lube the Pickup Tube".....

Does the wife know you are doing that kind of stuff ?
Old 08-01-2010, 08:03 AM

Got all the wires traced to the appropriate electronics and gauges. I'll run some new wires since domeare the originals from 1993, and some others just need new connectors put on due to the massive corrosion at the battery terminals. Anything that had juice flowing through it when the battery submerged got trashed and brittle overnight pretty much.

Removed the cd player and trashed it. (Yeah I know.....I cd player on a little bass boat......but the boat has to pull double duty as a rec boat when my wife and kids want to go out )
Old 08-03-2010, 11:41 AM

The 2 seats are FUBAR, so I'm going to replace those today and have the originals reupholstered....just the bottoms are ruined and I want to keep the original logo'd seats since they're incredibly rare. So I'll sport around with a pair of aftermarket seats for a while.

I nead to replace 2 small sections of decking. This isn't really related to the sinking, but the boat is 17 years old and there's just a hair of softness where the seats driver and passenger seat mount.

Any recommendations on where to get a 4x8 sheet of 3/4 or 1 inch marine plywood? Does anyone sell them in 4'x4' sections?