Partner Sites:  www.BOEmarine.com | www.ClubSeaRay.com | www.BandofBoaters.com

Go Back   CBAngler.com - Chesapeake Bay Angler - The Ultimate Fisherman's Resource > CBAngler Forums > General Discussion

Old 02-21-2010, 06:14 PM

Default SFAC Tomorrow 6pm.....Tawes

This one promises to be a good one. See you there.

-D

Meeting of the MDNR Sport Fish Advisory Commission
February 22, 2010
6:00-9:00 PM
Final Agenda
Tawes State Office Building
C-1 Conference Room
Annapolis, Maryland 21401
Agenda

5:30- 6:00 - Arrival/Dinner Served

6:00 - 6:10 – Welcome/Announcements/Approval of the Agenda – Marty Gary, MD DNR Fisheries Service

6:10 – 6:20 – NRP Report - Sergeant Brian Albert, NRP
Desired Outcome – Update the Commission on recent NRP activity and fishery violations

6:20 - 6:50 – Legislative and Regulatory Update - Tom O’Connell & Harley Speir, MD DNR Fisheries Service
Desired Outcome – Update the Commission on the pending & proposed legislation and regulations (Handout)

6:50 – 7:20 – Inland Fisheries Management Update - Don Cosden, MD DNR Fisheries Service
Desired Outcome – Brief the Commission on inland fisheries issues, including: Tidal Black Bass Roundtable, Savage Reservoir Project Status, Whirling Disease & Regulation discussion for 2010 with feedback from the Commission (Handouts)

7:20 – 7:45 – River Herring Management - Bob Sadzinski, MD DNR Fisheries Service
Desired Outcome – Presentation, discussion and recommendations from the commission for potential river herring management options (Handout)

7:45 – 8:00 – Summer Flounder Management - Carrie Kennedy, MD DNR Fisheries Service
Desired Outcome – Presentation and discussion of options for MD’s 2010 season with feedback from the commission
(Handout)

8:00 – 8:25 - ASMFC & Mid Atlantic Council Update - Tom O’Connell, MD DNR Fisheries Service
Desired Outcome – Update the commission on the proceedings of ASMFC’s Winter Meeting (Handout)

8:25 – 8:40 – Flexibility to Fish Act Discussion - Steve Early, MD DNR Fisheries Service
Desired Outcome – Understanding Magnuson-Stevens, the Flexibility Act amendment, constituent concerns and future expectations

8:40 – 8:50 – Diamond Jim Update - Marty Gary, MD DNR Fisheries Service
Desired Outcome – Update the Commission on the status of the Diamond Jim Contest

8:50- 9:00 – Public Comment - Marty Gary, MD DNR Fisheries Service
Desired Outcome – Opportunity for the public to provide comment on issues discussed

9:00 – Adjourn
Old 02-21-2010, 06:21 PM

Thanks for reminder.
Old 02-22-2010, 10:15 AM

anyonoe trying to make the meeting tonight?

I am trying to make it.

PSG

iiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii iiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii iiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii
Contrary to rumors you have heard: I Fish A Lot. I Don’t Catch A Lot
Old 02-22-2010, 11:45 AM
Baldzilla

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish Nut View Post
anyonoe trying to make the meeting tonight?

I am trying to make it.
I'm gonna go if my wife gets back from her meeting first
Old 02-22-2010, 12:22 PM

I will be there
Old 02-24-2010, 01:07 PM

Anything interesting to report from the meeting? I really wanted to go but had committed to teach that evening.

Hans
Old 02-24-2010, 09:52 PM

The Flounder season options had a decent discussion and a 3 motions before we passed a recommendation.

Last year we went over our TAC(Total Allowable Catch) by 23+%. Therefore, they reduce the TAC target for this year by at least 23+%

There were 5 options

Option 1 April 17 to September 21 3 @ 18.5 24.5%
Option 2 April 24 to September 24 3 @ 18.5 24.5%
Option 3 June 8 to October 30 3 @ 18.5 24.5%
Option 4 May 22 to October 16 3 @ 18.5 24.5%
Option 5 April 17 to Nov 22 3 @ 19.0 24.2%

I believe the first motion was to recommend #5. Motion made by Larry Coburn and seconded by Marty Gary. Richie Gaines did not support the motion and preferred 18.5" and explained that any situation when we are releasing a lot of flounder to get a keeper is not good b/c many get deep hooked.

We were told that C&R mortality is calculated into the options.

I felt that the long season afforded by #5 was desirable and did not see the 1/2" difference to be an issue.

I think the motion failed 4 to 6.

Another motion was made and then not seconded.

I believe we unanimously passed a motion for #2 w/ one abstention from Ed O'brien.

This is all my recollection of the voting and discussion. I will gladly let you all know when the minutes and transcripts are available.

Tom O'Connell explained his reasoning behind voting in favor of the ASMFC discussing a Coastal Commercial Striper Quota increase. He made a good case, and explained that MD's vote to support the discussion does not mean that MD will necessarily support a Quota increase. Again, the transcript will give you more insight into Tom's decision.

There was a fantastic presentation on River Herring and their plight in the Mid Atlantic. The Commission made a motion to recommend a harvest moratorium. The lion share of the commercial direct harvest(non bycatch) is done by 2 license holders w/ cast nets.

The MSA reform "March" and Flexibility act were discussed. Steve Earley did a great job of framing the issue and both Ed O'Brien and I shared some thoughts on the issue. Again, the transcript will allow you to read what was said.

Keep an eye on the SFAC website for updates. I will keep you all updated.

http://www.dnr.state.md.us/fisheries...sfacindex.html

-Dave Sikorski
CCA MD Rep. SFAC
Old 02-24-2010, 10:27 PM

Thanks Dave; I know you don't hear it often from those of us on the board, but we appreciate you representing us. Keep up the good work.
5th (Marty)
Old 02-25-2010, 07:59 AM

Dave is a great representative to have on the commission.

Flounder regs didnt go as I had hoped as I would have prefered option 3, 4 or 5 over option 2 that passed. However I understand why number 2 passed as the flounder fishery is primarily a coastal fishery and there were expressed concerns over deep hooking mortality trying to reach the 19" and the 18.5" fish being more opportunistic for ches bay fisherman. I thought Option 4 would have been the best option since it would have started the season just before memorial day and run into Oct. However I am told that the coastal fishery is important to have it start earlier in May would be more beneficial to their fishery. A 1/2" is probably equal to several inches in striped bass and the majority of flounder fishing is done with bait fishing so release mortality can be relatively high. I will say that Capt Ed did abstain from the flounder vote on the options presented but spoke about his disapproval over the ASMFC not approving MD to have a split in regulations between the bay and the coastal fishery. DNR did note that they had over 100 people attend the regulations meeting in OCMD and the vast majority of attendees voted for number 5 with the long season and 19" min. They noted that their email responses have been the same.

I will be a little more challenging to Tom O'Connells support of the increase in coastal commerical quota. Here is what I posted on the other forum:
Mr. O'Connell best tried to justify the stance he and Maryland took at the ASMFC through a "fairness" (for lack of a better term) stance. Of course there were charts thrown up over how the coastal recreational quotas have steadily increased over the years while the commercial harvest quotas have remained flat. It is important to note that all of these charts failed to include the changes in demand for these fish commercially through market prices and/or the impacts of either fisheries, recreational or commercial, to our state economies.

The thing that concerns me most over their position is the fact that while Maryland has enacted regulations that would reduce the effort (ones opportunity to catch a fish) on a particular method of recreational fishing without quantitative justification during the catch and release only season, they cited concerns for the future of the stock citing a few indicators including YOY and spawning biomass recruitment. Given true concerns for the future of the stock and their self-proclaimed tendency to "err on the side of the resource", one would believe that our Maryland representation would have taken a different position on this issue.

What most disappoints me is that there is no real justification for their support other than "fairness" given by Mr. O'Connell. This is troubling to me because their is no shortness of supply in the commercial marketplace for striped bass or real need for and increase in commercial quota. As a matter of fact, prices have been depressed in most markets due to there being enough or steady supply for the demand.

If, in fact, Maryland DNR does see this ultimately as an allocation issue, I am again disappointed in their actions given the lack of market need for higher commercial quotas and the vastly higher economic impact of the still growing recreational striped bass fishery. In other words there is no market justifications or strong economic benefit for an increase in the coastal commercial quota over any recreational quota given what recreational angling provides to state economies, especially given the growing interest for these fish recreationally. Either way, if this ultimately is a management or allocation issue in the eyes of DNR, I believe the position taken by those that represent our state at the ASMFC have failed the state of Maryland.

Mr. O'Connell did note that their vote would do nothing more than to start discussions on the issue and that he did not ultimately know what position Maryland would take with future votes. Lets hope that Mr. O'Connell and the Maryland representation take into account the real "fairness" to what is in the best interest of the citizens of our state.

Last edited by B-Faithful; 02-25-2010 at 09:34 AM.
Old 02-25-2010, 05:10 PM

Thanks Guys. It's my pleasure to serve on the commission.

-D