Partner Sites:  www.BOEmarine.com | www.ClubSeaRay.com | www.BandofBoaters.com

Go Back   CBAngler.com - Chesapeake Bay Angler - The Ultimate Fisherman's Resource > CBAngler Forums > General Discussion

Old 04-10-2011, 05:30 PM

Default Sunday PSCR - Sandy Point

Alarm went off at 5:30 am - I had all intentions of heading out to troll this morning.

Made the mistake of waiting 5 minutes - next thing I know it was after 8:00.

Oh well , one nice thing with PSCR - never a crowd. Wife made breakfast as I hooked up the trailer - she kidded me about fishing on banker's hours.

Got launched about 10:00 - there was only about 15 trailers at Sandy Point.
Ran SE towards #87 and water is stained and 49*. Saw a few nice fish on the meter in 65 feet on west edge so I slowed and put over port board. Fishing alone - figured I could watch it better then both. Put 3 singles and 1 tandem off the board. Downrigger at 35 feet carried a chartruese umbrella and I dropped a Tony #21 with 6 oz parachute back off the center rigger 250 feet.

Saw a few other boats trolling and chatter on VHF was mostly no hits or just 1 strike. Current was still coming in but slowing. There are about 10 ships anchored - it was interesting to watch the current change direction. Not all the ships swung at the same time but slowly all pointed north by the out going current.

Worked along the channel edges from #87 to almost #86 but only saw a few fish and very little bait schools. Went in as shallow as 35 feet on west side but spent most of the day in 55 to 80 feet.

Had one maybe hit on the downrigger - rod bowed but when I checked the rig , all the shads were fine. Maybe a stick - maybe a fish - not sure.

The out going current brought a more stained water - heard it was much cleaner near #84 but did not bother to pick up and run there.

Trolled around a few of the ships but no luck. Checked the lures once - all were clean. Switched a few shads - putting out purple and green / black back in hopes fish would see it better in the dark water.

Sun came out and I really hoped that might help but still no fish hit. Not that many on the meter though. Finally called it an early day about 3:00 and headed back in.

Banker's hour fishing is OK but then I remembered - banks are closed on Sundays .

Guess we'll know in the next three weeks how the spring fishing in 2011 will be. Right now , not looking good. 6 rod limit hinders the search but not seeing much on the meter causes concern.
Old 04-11-2011, 07:11 AM

Thanks for the report Skip. I saw very similar marks on the depth finder Saturday. The fish are there just not a lot of them. I spent a lot of time moving from location to location not seeing anything on the meter.. The bait is scarce but when you find it !!!

I hope things are just slow to get started this year due to the what seems to be colder conditions.

PSG

iiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii iiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii iiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii
Contrary to rumors you have heard: I Fish A Lot. I Don’t Catch A Lot
Old 04-11-2011, 08:21 AM

Sounds like I havent missed much by not fishing for a bit. Hopefully a good bite turns on soon as I would like to get out once this week before Sat.
Old 04-11-2011, 10:53 AM

Did you test your new fangled folding planer boards?

Turkey hunting will keep us occupied for another couple of weeks... hopefully, the craziness will have died down.

Last edited by boondoggle; 04-11-2011 at 11:08 AM. Reason: too many n's in planer
Old 04-11-2011, 04:18 PM

Skip, I was in the same area, I thought I saw you. I found good bait in 35-45feet but no takers.
It is weird not seeing many trailers at Sandy Point on a weekend.
Hopefully Thursday will be better,
Old 04-11-2011, 07:03 PM

Banker's hour fishing is OK but then I remembered - banks are closed on Sundays .

That's funny..
Thanks for the report

TED
Old 04-11-2011, 09:47 PM

It was FAR from being red hot, but some fish were caught south of you yesterday. We didn't see much to get excited about on the fishfinder, but we ended up catching a few.