Partner Sites:  www.BOEmarine.com | www.ClubSeaRay.com | www.BandofBoaters.com

Go Back   CBAngler.com - Chesapeake Bay Angler - The Ultimate Fisherman's Resource > CBAngler Forums > General Discussion

Old 01-19-2010, 08:38 PM

Default Freshwater today

Warm temperature, got some bait, caught some fish. Oh, oh; I thought I was on Tidalfish.

Picked up some large shiners (3 inches) from Clydes and headed east to some fishing holes. First stop was Wye Mills where I fished the spillway for about 45 minutes. Nothing happening; so farther east I went. Next stop, Tuckaho State Park. I drove over the small bridge and parked. Lou and I set out four rods with small bobbers and sat down on our folding chairs to BS as we waited. The water was so cold; "How cold was it?"; that the shiners didn't want to swim under the bobbers. I would occassionally get up and shake the line to "wake up" the shiners. Nothing happened for a while so I got out my "secret weapon". Those of you who fish with me know I always try to carry at least one secret weapon with me. I cracked the top to my Mountain Dew; and waited for the upcoming bite.
Sure enough, within five minutes, one bobber starts to show some action. The shiner was getting "nervous". We watched the bobber SLOWLY sink below the water and I set the hook on a small (12 inch) largmouth. Lou and I caught five within the hour. The largest bass was about 16 inches.
We hit another slow period and called it quits about a half hour before sunset (usually the best time to catch them). But; we were happy with the pullage and wanted to get home in time for a hot dinner.
All bass were released unharmed and are waiting for you to catch them again later this year. Evidently; they are a more hardy species than their cousins the "striped bass" which I understand all die after C/R tactics are used.
No chain pickeral or crappie were caught today. Go get em. 5th (Marty)
Old 01-19-2010, 09:18 PM

That's a whole lot better than Garlien and I did at those exact two spots right after Christmas. Of course it was a LOT colder (most of the ponds were frozen over) and we didn't have any live bait.

Good to hear about the bass at Tuckahoe. I can't wait for a nice spring day to get my boat into the lake there and fish around all the trees there at the far end.....
Old 01-19-2010, 09:44 PM

Hell I cant wait to get over there and do the same...If the weather holds up I am going to have to convince Scott to get over there and try it again...This time with some minnows and bobbers...Nice job in a slow time..I was thinking about going Monday, I guess I should have...

Any pullage is pullage...Congrats...I havent seen a fish, on a hook, in over a month...

Old 01-19-2010, 10:49 PM

Water was up and a bit muddy I bet? Congrats on catching the bass. I made a similar circuit over the weekend, same results at Wye Milles but fished the lower end of the Tuck.

"Catch & Release - A picture is worth a thousand fish"
Old 01-19-2010, 10:58 PM

[QUOTE=Shawn Kimbro;3574]Water was up and a bit muddy I bet?

Shawn; the water was as high as I'v ever seen it at Tachahoe and murky.

Mike; try to get shiners from Clydes instead of minnows.

Scott; As soon as the turtles come out, it should get a lot better.

5th (Marty)
Old 01-19-2010, 11:08 PM

Haven't fished the pond at Tuckahoe in many years. Used to fish it when the yellow neds were coming up to the spillway during the spawning run and then it was one species after another. White perch, crappie, pickeral etc.
Old 01-20-2010, 01:27 PM

Up until Saturday I was doing some ice fishing here in PA. Wanted to get out and try out my Artic Armor (it works in 15 degrees and 15+ steady wind).

It's been a while since I've done this - hell, maybe 25 years.

Use a combo of tip-ups and jigging rods. Been losing a lot more than catching. Need to reacquire the knak for setting the hook with a tip-up.

Catching some pickeral and bass. It's a blast to see the tip-up flag flying when you get bit!

Looking forward to loading up the camper and heading north for some serious trout action once it cools down again.

Tight-lines
Old 01-20-2010, 10:06 PM

[QUOTE=5th Tuition;3575]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shawn Kimbro View Post
Water was up and a bit muddy I bet?

Shawn; the water was as high as I'v ever seen it at Tachahoe and murky.

Mike; try to get shiners from Clydes instead of minnows.

Scott; As soon as the turtles come out, it should get a lot better.

5th (Marty)
Don't say turtles around Garlien....Last year I swore he caught Moandie the Sea Monster......
Old 01-21-2010, 08:37 AM

Don't say turtles around Garlien....Last year I swore he caught Moandie the Sea Monster......[/QUOTE]

My wife likes to kayak the Tuckahoe lake in the spring because she is amazed at all the turtles sunning themselves on every stick and log that sticks out of the water. There must be thousands of them everywhere you look. 5th
Old 01-21-2010, 08:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5th Tuition View Post
Don't say turtles around Garlien....Last year I swore he caught Moandie the Sea Monster......
My wife likes to kayak the Tuckahoe lake in the spring because she is amazed at all the turtles sunning themselves on every stick and log that sticks out of the water. There must be thousands of them everywhere you look. 5th[/QUOTE]

It's like that down on the Pocomoke sometimes too. Your wife would love kayaking out of Shad Landing and up through Corker's Creek.